UC or CSU's

Discussion in 'USA West' started by HappyOne, Apr 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HappyOne

HappyOne Regular Member

do you guys know any UC's in california that has badminton as a sport ? or a CSU .... but i prefer UC

2. jamesshieh88

jamesshieh88 Regular Member

Student
    do you mean like a sport in which they compete for a conference title like the Pac-10? i do know that UCLA, UCSD, UCI, Cal Poly, CalTech, CSULA, and UCR have club teams that competes against each other.

3. monto

monto Regular Member

Same here in northern California, with clubs from Berkeley, Davis, SJSU, Stanford, UCSC, etc.

For example, Stanford's schedule:
    http://www.stanford.edu/group/badminton/schedule.html

4. HoustonRockets

HoustonRockets Regular Member

I play for one of those schools...
    :p :p

5. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

6. pandee720

pandee720 Regular Member

as far as i know, i don't think ucr has a team... and csula i don't know
    our school played all the rest of the teams and won :-D

7. ShArKs58

ShArKs58 New Member

UC Davis(GO AGGIES!) and UCLA are the two UC's that i know of that have good badminton clubs...maybe UC Berkeley too...but no actual team or anything seeing as badminton is basically an individual sport.
    (Within the school clubs, I think they rank some players and they travel together to tournaments throughout the year and such)

UC Davis Badminton Club:
    http://badminton.ucdavis.edu/clubinfo.html
    UCLA Badminton Club:
    http://www.studentgroups.ucla.edu/UCLABadminton/TEAM.htm
    (One of my friends is on the team!)

8. pandee720

pandee720 Regular Member

i think ucsd beat ucla for a couple of years already... i dunno about davis though

9. Virocon

Virocon Regular Member

The Southern California Collegiate Badminton League (SCCBL) is one, if not the only, co-ed collegiate league in SoCal. Currently, we have 10 active member institutions that field teams to compete in meets and our own pre/mid/post-season tournaments throughout the academic year. The by-laws are currently out-dated but will be reorganized this summer when we have our annual league meeting. Each individual institution has its own ways of fielding a team but the main goals of the league remain pretty solid. SCCBL is also becoming quite competitive as the current top two overall Collegiate National winners are UCLA and UCSD.

SCCBL institutions:
    California Institute of Technology (Caltech)
    California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly SLO)
    California State University, Los Angeles (CSULA)
    Pasadena City College (PCC)
    San Diego State University (SDSU)
    University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) - ;) Hail, hills of Westwood!
    University of California, Irvine (UCI)
    University of California, Riverside (UCR)
    University of California, San Diego (UCSD)
    University of Southern California (USC)

You can find more on SCCBL and institution contact info at,
    http://www.studentgroups.ucla.edu/UCLABadminton/SCCBL.htm

Jason
    UCLA Badminton
    http://www.studentgroups.ucla.edu/UCLABadminton

Two of the above currently host public badminton tournaments as well: UCLA hosts the Bruin Open (usu. in Fall, maybe Spring) and UCSD hosts Sun God (usu. in Spring).

10. N n n n n

N n n n n Regular Member

Cal, Davis, LA, SD, Irvine, and Santa Cruz all have active clubs among the UCs. I attend Cal, and we have a "team" in that we compete every year against other schools in the NICBL; Stanford, Davis, SJSU, and UCSC.
    In addition, we hold a biannual open tournament, travel to other tournaments together, practice 2-3 times a week for several hours, attend collegiate nationals (when travel costs do not prohibit), and hold social events. While other schools may be of greater or lesser organization, all will certainly give a worthwhile opportunity to play.
    If you want you can visit our website at badminton.berkeley.edu.
    Hope this helps.

11. virusvoodoo

virusvoodoo Regular Member

court mopper
    UCI used to be really good last year and the year before. We were league champions two years ago and we won the collegiate nationals last year. Sadly, we don't have any team this year due to not enough interest. There is only about 8 guys on the team with 4 guys who consistently show up to play. We don't have any girls at all for this year since none joined last year. Hopefully the scene will change next year.

12. pandee720

pandee720 Regular Member

i think ucsd's gonna get stronger next year cuz i heard we're getting a ton of good people....

13. virusvoodoo

court mopper
    UCSD is an excellent competition for us (well not this year since we don't have anyone playing). The players have great skills, good to play against. However, I don't like their coach, Mike Walker because of his unfair tactics to win and the way he treats some of his players.

14. pandee720

pandee720 Regular Member

he uses unfair tactics? like what? and i think he just likes to play around with his players... he is a good coach nonetheless... and really a skilled player too... hahaha

15. virusvoodoo

court mopper
    I don't want to start any flame war but unfair tactics like putting his weakest players against a strong pair from another team that he knows is too strong. I think that is referred as "team stacking" which isn't right since the way its supposed to go is that you have the top pairs playing against another top pair and the weaker pair play against the weaker pair.

Also about this year's national collegiate, I don't know what was wrong but they had several months ahead to plan out but they put it on the week just right before the final for a few schools including UCI and UCLA. Many of the players from both teams could not make it since they had finals to prepare for. This is the complaint I heard from not just UCI players but also UCLA and some other schools. I don't know if this was done intentionally or not but it was dissappointing to see players from UCLA, UCI, and some others left were out.

Also, he doesn't treat some of his players right. I have many friends who are at UCSD and they are complaining about him. Infact, he is one of the reasons why they are not playing anymore. I actually witnessed this one event. Two years ago UCSD was having a match against SDSU. I came along to see the game since some of my friends were playing. Anyway I had these two friends who were just playing in exhibition match. When they came to him and ask for a birdie, he asked whether or not they were worth the birdie. I was sitting right there when when I heard that. I was furious; I cannot believe that those words actually came from a great player from him. He is sponsored by Yonex so he gets these birds for dirt cheap if not free. I know my friends are not Chai, Dara, Eva, or that one Indonesian guy but he shouldn't treat them like that. I did not believe what people from UCI, SDSU, UCLA as well as a few from UCSD was saying about him but after that incident, I had lost all my respect for him.

Again this is not just from what I think but also what quite a few others from couple schools are saying about him. I witnessed a couple of occasions that seems to support those views. I don't think I am being a harsh on him.

16. pandee720

pandee720 Regular Member

hmm... as for team stacking, i did not see any this year... i went to every game and our #1 played as #1's and others were in the right place as well in my opinion...
    as for nationals, i think the date was set for a while and i don't know anything about it... maybe it was intentional, but i personally think it was just bad luck for the other schools...
    as for him talking to his players, i kinda agree that he is harsh at times... he called me "horrible"... lol. which i know i am cuz im no eva... but on other occasions, he gets the supplies that i need when i said i wanted them and everything i ask him to do, he does it well... usually as soon as possible too...
    i heard from my friend that he called howard bach (olympic player) as not that good for his age or something along those lines... :eek:
    but i guess he just laughed it off (he knows our coach pretty well)... it's just the way our coach treats our players... which may not be agreeable all the time but he does care about us.
    i dunno, that's my personal opinion and i know everyone else has their own opinions. our coach may seem harsh and unacceptable at times, but overall, i think he's a good person...

17. HoustonRockets

HoustonRockets Regular Member

GO tritons!!!!!

I'll be there this fall.........

see u guys around......

18. virusvoodoo

court mopper
    I agree that he's not a total jerk as he seems pretty okay when I went to his shop to buy birdies and ask about racquets. It's just his competitive nature that gets out of hand.

By the way, who are you if I may ask? I wonder if I have seen you before on the team.

#18 virusvoodoo, Jun 9, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2005
  19. pandee720

pandee720 Regular Member

you don't know me... im not good enough to be on the "main team" yet... are you on uci's main team? i think im on our team's reserves... hahaha

20. virusvoodoo

court mopper
    I played on the team the year before (the year before last year) but have been busy lately working and school so I haven't been playing badminton at all. I only get to play like once everymonth whenever I travel back to San Diego to "visit" home. Anyway, I am not very good either I only started playing 3 years ago so don't worry. If you are not a freshman then I probably have seen you before. Just tell me your name.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.