Canadian National Juniors

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Hawkefire, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Hawkefire

Hawkefire Regular Member

I play at the K-W Badminton Club and I was wondering how good i should be in order to go and do well at the Nationals. I am currently ranked 30th in Ontario but i expect my rank to be within the top 10 by the end of next season.

2. Kenny

Kenny Regular Member

High School
    Umm, im not EXACTLY sure but i do think you have to be top 3 in your province to be able to try out for the national team...

3. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

Really depends what age group...btw, checked the rankings, no one exactly 30th from KW. Well, i also know that a lot of the people going from ON aren't in the top 10 because ON usually has a better level of players than the rest of CAN.

4. Andy Eh

Andy Eh Regular Member

ploppers where did you find this canadian junior ranking at?

5. merlin

merlin Regular Member

student
    dont worry about your rank this season, if you practice hard, and have a good coach, go for it anyway. Dont look for advice, the motivation is from within.

6. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    If you have an OBA Card ( which means you are a registered player of the Ontario Badminton Assossication ) you can go on their website and they have the rankings there

7. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    Not really ... Ontario isn't exactly that good ...

8. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    How do you get a card?

9. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    check out the oba website.. www.ontariobadminton.on.ca

but the card is also used so you can play provincial tournaments... not really worth it to buy just to view rankings (since the season is over)

as for whether or not you want to play.... it's always hard to say....think about this logically.... consider what your "true rank" within ontario should be... (your ACTUAL ranking can be innaccurate, since it is based on points... i remember being ranked above people who could beat me, and being ranked below people i could beat) and be HONEST with yourself, maybe even a little conservative....

nationals is usually the tournament where anybody worth their salt will go... so if your true rank isn't within the top 10, that means you can't even get to the quarter finals (assuming only ONTARIO people get to the top)...but bear in mind (i'm assuming you are male) that british columbia, alberta and quebec are quite well known for having a large number of exceptional males.... so if your definition of "well" is quarter finals, then you probably won't do "well"

but it's worth it to go to nationals if you have the time and money, even if you're going to get smoked to look at the level of badminton, and to get some inspiration....