Armortec800-OFF or Nanospeed7000

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Shimotakimas, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Shimotakimas

Shimotakimas Regular Member

Hi. First I'll introduce myself. I'm Arthur Lee and i live in Gilroy, California (about 30-40 min from san jose) Im 15 years old, 5' 8 and i weight about 110lbs. I sometimes go with friends to the sunnyvale center on friday nights to play. Im a freshman at my high school and im currently number 1 men doubles with my friend. Next year im planning to be number one SINGLES and im considering buying a new racket.

Now that thats over with, its time for your advice. Should i buy a nanospeed 7000 or armortec 800-OFF? Theyre about the same price from sumai03(nanospeed $4 more) Im usually a defensive player but the Armortec800-off looks sweet. Ive used my friends and it feels great. I havent tried a nanospeed 7000 yet so i dont know how it feels. im a singles player and i go for speed and control. You might think right away that i should get ns7k but remember that i like the feel of the 800-OFF. Any suggestions? :eek:

[edit] btw i also like the color sceme of the 800-OFF slightly more than the ns7k.

#1 Shimotakimas, Apr 23, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  2. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    hello Arthur,

my suggestion would be to try as many rackets as you can. borrow from friends, etc. and then make your decision. both NS7k and AT800OF are great rackets, but be more open minded. other singles rackets that people liked a lot include Ti-10, MP100, MP 99, AT700, Cab30MS, AT800DE etc. the upcoming NS8k is also a good singles racket. everyone likes different rackets, and personally i would choose the AT, because i like head heavyness over head lightedness. again, try as many as you can, then make your decision afterwards. if you are going to spend a few hundred $ buying a top-of-the-line racket, you might as well make it worthwhile, and not have to regret afterwards :)

3. roquejo

roquejo Regular Member

Hmm.. these are two different rackets.

AT800 OFF is slow, head heavy, and very powerful in smash.. it's an extreme offensive racket so it leaves other areas like defense weak.. many people have difficulty using this racket coz it is not forgiving. Good for offensive players and hard hitters

NS7000 is fast and head light... the reaction in this racket is generally mixed.. some people like it while others do not. The main drawback in this racket is its lack power in smashes. Good for control, defensive and tactical players.

So which one you prefer speed (NS7000) or power (AT800OF)

Since you say that you're a defensive player.. I guess NS7000 is more appropriate for you coz it suits you're style.

As a suggestion.. you can have a little of everything if you get a balanced racket like MP99.. or consider AT800DE coz this has speed and power.

Please read the reviews of MP99 and AT800DE made in this forum for more insights on how players feel about these two.

4. Shimotakimas

Shimotakimas Regular Member

Well I would DEFINATELY choose an Armortec800-DEF if it wasnt for the ugly yellow and green mix. People say 800DEF is similar to 800OFF so im hoping that it being offense doesnt affect the racket that much and has a cool color sceme also. I think yonex should come out with a replica of the 800DEF but color it differently like some kind of navy blue for the shaft and then some light blue for the frame. Anyways, its still a hard decision for me even though i had some inputs(which i thank you guys for). Maybe Ill go for the 800Defense after all since a lot of singles players tend to like it. I would like to ask if any of you singles players who use 800DEF ever used an 800OFF? If anybody says theyre similar then offense is the way to go.

btw thanks again for your inputs

sumai03 just started selling Nanospeed 8000s today!!!!!

#4 Shimotakimas, Apr 24, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  5. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    AT800DE and OF are completely different rackets. OF is like a sledgehammer. you get tons of smashing power from the OF because it is so head heavy. however, the OF is a lot less manuverable than the DE. the DE, although head heavy as well, isn't so head heavy, so it is able to deliver good power and still be fast on the defense. try both out, then try and make a decision. you might also want to consider other rackets like the NS7000 and NS8000, but those are for a completely different playing style IMO :) hope this helps

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Ask yourself this:

Is my racket a tool to help me play badminton better, or is it a fashion accessory?

7. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    I think different people have different criteria :p
    By the way would you play with a pink racquet with pink grip?

8. jamesshieh88

jamesshieh88 Regular Member

Student
    I WOULD!!!! i saw this guy that had a pink racket with pink grip and pink strings before. and his shoes were pink as well. that was so awesome

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well said, as top of the line model might not be the best suitable ones for u. Expensive and good is not a bad buy, but cheaper and better performance could be a big bonus. ;)

10. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    Speaking as a person who has owned and used all 3 of the rackets we are talking about, I find myself wanting to shift between the 3 every time I play a bad game.

I would imagine the safest racket to pick among the 3 would be the DE. While the OF might be more powerful and the NS7000 easier to swing and clear with, the DE is just so darn forgiving and maneuverable that you cannot go wrong with it.

The OF can sometimes feel stiff and heavy (especially in its 3U form), while the NS7000 can feel inadequate in smashing at times, but the DE is a great compromise.

As many people have quoted before, the DE is definitely NOT just a defensive racket.

That being said I am using the 4U OF myself. It is fast enough and I use it to give me that little edge in driving home that smash, but that's just me. If I had to pick between the 3, I would still buy the DE.

11. roquejo

roquejo Regular Member

I'm also an owner of both OF and DE. I bought the OF last November then the DE last month.

I don't to repeat the comparison between the two coz those who posted in this thread earlier have a very accurate comparison between the two.

I rarely used the OF but yesterday I used it again for two games just for fun coz I played with beginners who always lifts the shot that makes OF very appealing to use.

But to my dismay.. one of the better beginners managed to sneak a smash which I falied to defend.. if I'm holding the DE, I could have defended it .. so I switched back to the DE and my game is back to normal.

So just follow all the majority's advice. Get the DE.. honestly I like the orange color of the OF or the red color of the NS7000 than the lime green color of the DE.

But which one will people notice more?, the color racket you carry or your game?

12. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    One note about the relative "slowness" of the OF (Im talking about the 4U here), while its true its slower or less maneuverable than the DE and probably the NS7K, I feel it is certainly faster than any other 3U racket out there such as the MP99 or even a 4U such as the AT700.

It's "slowness", therefore, is relative.

13. ahhs_1980

ahhs_1980 Regular Member

Student
    wow not to mention, pretty good for a freshman, #1 boys doubles?? wow
    p.s. good luck in singles
    you will need it