Chong Wei sets up final date with Choong Hann in Kedah

Discussion in '2005 Tournaments' started by ants, Apr 23, 2005.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Thestar
    ALOR STAR: Top seeds Lee Chong Wei and Wong Choong Hann set up the expected men's singles final in the Kedah Open Badminton Championship after convincing victories in the semi-finals at the Sultan Abdul Halim Indoor Stadium here last night.

Top seed Chong Wei defeated Kuan Beng Hong 15-7, 15-6 while second seed Choong Hann ended teenager Lim Kenn's fairytale run 15-4, 15-5.

The home support failed to spur Kedahan Beng Hong and he was let down by a nagging back strain throughout his match against Chong Wei.

After surrendering the first game 15-7, Beng Hong kept pace with the national number one until 6-7.

After that, Chong Wei turned on the power to bag nine straight points to finish off the tie in 38 minutes.

“My back strain spread down to my right leg and it affected me very much. I started the second half strongly and managed to keep up with Chong Wei as long as possible. But I could not do anything when he stepped up the pace at 6-7,†said Beng Hong.

For Chong Wei, the final clash with Choong Hann today will be just the third competitive meeting between the two national shuttlers since 2002.

Chong Wei beat Choong Hann in both the previous meetings at the 2002 National Grand Prix final and the 2004 Taiwan Open semi-final.

“I seldom play against Choong Hann in the local circuit because he always ends up in the same half of the draw with Hafiz (Hashim) and gets beaten in the semi-final.

“Although I have beaten him in our two meetings, I will not take anything for granted as we both train together and know each other's playing style well.

“Both our previous meetings were close affairs and Choong Hann will be dangerous tomorrow as he will be looking to get third time lucky against me,†said Choong Hann.

Choong Hann had an easy time against the 19-year-old Lim Kenn, who seemed to be overawed by the occasion of playing in his first semi-final in a senior tournament.

Lim Kenn failed to repeat his courageous performance of Friday when he ousted Lee Tsuen Seng 17-15, 2-15, 17-16 in the quarter-final.

In the women's singles, national number one Wong Mew Choo brushed off the cobwebs to enter her first final in the local circuit for two years.

The SEA Games women's singles champion defeated reigning national champion Anita Raj Kaur 11-4, 11-2 in the last four yesterday.

After winning the 2003 National Grand Prix Finals, Mew Choo missed the entire 2004 season of the local circuit through injury.

“After the long layoff, I feel very rusty and uncomfortable playing in a local tournament again. Although I am in the final, I need more competitive matches to regain my best form,†said Mew Choo.

Her opponent in the final tonight will be M. Sutheaswari, who staged a gallant fightback to down Julia Wong in the second semi-final.

Sutheaswari was trailing 0-6 in the rubber game before rallying to a 9-11, 11-5, 11-9 victory over her opponent.

The women's doubles final will be contested by the top two pairs in the country, Chin Ee Hui-Wong Pei Tty and Ooi Sock Ai-Mooi Ying Hau.

2. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Have the finals of the Kedah Open been played yet? If so could anyone post the scores here? Much appreciated.

Cheers!

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Sounds a bit harsh (or maybe the translation)!

I am intrested to hear the result too.

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Fitter Chong Wei prevails (KEDAH OPEN)

TheStar
    ALOR STAR: National number one Lee Chong Wei extended his winning streak against Wong Choong Hann by winning 13-15, 15-8, 15-3 in the final of the Kedah Open Badminton Championships at the Sultan Abdul Halim Indoor Stadium here last night.

Three-time national champion Chong Wei, who has not lost to Choong Hann since 2002, used his superior fitness to outpace his fast-tiring opponent in the final.

While Chong Wei cruised all the way to the final, Choong Hann had to slog in both the singles as well as the men’s doubles competition, in which he competed till the quarter-finals with partner Tan Zhao Rong.

Choong Hann started strongly to take the first game 15-13 and led 4-1 and 6-3 in the second. However, he started to tire and could not match the fiery pace set by Chong Wei, who went on to clinch the tie.

Choong Hann’s running verbal battle with umpire P. Kaliannan during the singles final also did not help him at all in maintaining full concentration.

“Even when I was a game down and trailing in the second, I was not worried as I knew Choong Hann could not last the pace,†said Chong Wei.

“He has had several tough matches over the last few days and could not have recovered fully in time for the final.

“I was fresher and my plan to tire him out worked wonderfully,†added Chong Wei who pocketed RM4,000.

Although Choong Hann acknowledged that Chong Wei was the fitter and better player on the night, he was sore with the way the umpire handled the final.

“I can live with bad line calls by the line judges. But the umpire (Kaliannan) was over-reacting by warning me twice not to influence the line decisions,†said an agitated Choong Hann, who picked up RM2,000.

“I only yelled out in frustration, and never said anything to the line judge or the umpire.

“The umpire threatened to show me the yellow card and the reaction of the spectators (who jeered the umpire) proved that I did not do anything wrong.â€

Although he admitted that playing in both the singles and doubles had affected his performance, Choong Hann has vowed to work on improving his fitness in training.

National chief coach Yap Kim Hock has earmarked Choong Hann to partner Chew Choon Eng in the doubles as well as continue playing in the singles in international tournaments.

In the women’s singles final, SEA Games gold medallist Wong Mew Choo was in a class of her own in despatching M. Sutheaswari 11-3, 11-4.

It was the national number one’s first victory in the local circuit in two years after missing the entire 2004 season through injury.

Top seeds Koo Kien Keat-Wong Pei Tty emerged champions in the mixed doubles after defeating Gan Teik Chai-Fong Chew Yen 10-15, 15-5, 15-10.

5. $100 Dreams

$100 Dreams Regular Member

Yeah, i agree its harsh...more like mocking! :confused:

It can't be translation...chong wei can speak english and the star is an english newspaper...! Maybe he was speaking in Mandarin :eek:

6. $100 Dreams

$100 Dreams Regular Member

Congrats to chong wei!

poor choong hann though...he has to work harder to regain his form!

7. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

:eek:
    LOL i see some FLAMES going against these two... maybe they are not-so good relationship during training sessions??;)

a typo in a professional article, jeez. FIRE the WRITER~!

8. li_ka_shing168

li_ka_shing168 Regular Member

student, restaurant manager (millionaire LOL)
    One day, I am sure Wong's spirit will come back (maybe in the coming world champion) and he is going to kill everyone:cool:

9. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    The mind is strong but the flesh is weak.....

Attack the medals from a different angle, he must....

10. night

night Regular Member

Sounds like Master Yoda... hahaha.... :D

11. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist

MS:
    Lee Chong Wei
    beat Wong Choong Hann 13-15, 15-8, 15-3

WS:
    Wong Mew Choo
    beat Mudukasan a/p Sutheaswari 11-3, 11-4

MD:
    Chan Chong Ming - Koo Kien Keat
    beat Chew Choon Eng - Kong Qinghong* 7-1515-13, 15-8
    *Sorry, this is his name in Chinese translation

WD:
    Wong Pei Tty - Chin Ee Hui
    beat Ooi Sock Ai - Mooi Hing Yau 15-11, 15-5

XD:
    Koo Kien Keat - Wong Pei Tty
    beat Gan Teik Chai - Fong Chew Yen 10-15, 15-5, 15-10

Attached Files:

12. ants

ants Regular Member

Glad to hear that WOng Miew Choo won this time.. :)

13. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    Was Choong Hann playing in those bermuda style shorts? where is his Yonex clothing and shoes? is he not comfortable in them?

In contrast to the Chinese team who live in their Yonex :D

14. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Don't think so. Just like Chong Wei was not likely to play in those long track bottom

15. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Wow! Sutheas is doing well.. she's currently training under Ong Beng Teong. And she's considered 'young' I suppose. She's 19 years old.

16. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

I am just wondering why her world ranking (48th) is higher than Mew Choo's (72th).

17. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Wong Mew Choo has been injured for a while, this is why her world ranking is so low...