Which Footwork improves stamina Shadow practice or footwork with shuttle(4-6corner)?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by satheesh, Apr 24, 2005.

1. satheesh

satheesh Regular Member

Like to know which one improves the stamina
    I do this footwork in R-L-R for all the 4 corners and chase footwork for the 2 side corners for shadow practice is this right way?

Thanks

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    both drills will improve stamina.

3. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

I actually prefer doing L-R for the front area because its faster. Provided you have strong legs to cover the distance.

For the rear left corner (backhand for me) I can do right step followed by a scisors kick immediately. But if you dont have the strength, then the best way would be to do right, hop, scisors kick. This is used more when you want to play fast, otherwise your R-L-R would be fine.

The scisors kick is a backward jump where you rotate your body too to generate power and be in position to return to the center immediately. You hit the shuttle while you're in the air.

There is two variation for the rear right corner as well. One is right step followed by a huge leap backwards without a body rotation and hit the shuttle while in mid air, relying totally on your arm power. The other is your R-L-R.

To answer your question, both style will improve your stamina. However I fully believe that the footwork with shuttle drill will increase your leg endurance much more since it invoolves a lot of lunging. This is not to say that you should only rely on the shuttle run, you should do the normal shadow practice too because it is closer to a game like situation compared to the shuttle run.

4. wun.sun

wun.sun Regular Member

Wow Iwan, didn't know about those two variations to the backhand corner. Gonna try it out next chance I have :D. The one I use to get to the back hand [left corner] is left, right, then the kick. I use the left to get a extra foot or so, and in doing so, rotate my body. I don't know if its better, but its the way I was taught. Just my 2 cents :)