User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: drive serves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum
    Note my recent change of view regarding drive serves.

I have not seen the example in question, so I cannot say whether it was illegal.

Nevertheless, it is perfectly possible to perform legal drive serves on the backhand when standing right at the front service line. They will not, however, be as effective as illegal serves, which travel flatter.
    Sorry Gollum, I hadn't noticed the dates on the earlier posts!

Personally I find it easier to drive serve on the forehand. I can't get the speed on my backhand but that might just be a question of practice. I use it quite a lot and have found that it works best against taller players as it is difficult for them to smash it back as it is below their shoulder height. I once tried it on someone who was slightly below average height and they were easily able to smash it back to me.

It's also quite draining mentally because you have to be ready for the return to be hit at speed and so you have to focus on the drive and then also having your racquet up for the return and staying sharp. (mental focus is my weakpoint!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Gollum...it is possible but it is done right at the front of service line. Against intermediate players, I use this kind of serves all the time, and yes, I always make sure I do it in a legal way. It is very fast and very effective if the opponent does not know how to handle it. If I am playing advance players, I almost never use this kind of serve, because if you know how to handle it, it is a simple "smash" return...and to the side lines as well. If my opponent can recieve this kind of serve, trust me, I will only do it once. BTW, I am talking about doubles play.

TO receive it, for me, I stand just a little behind service line maybe between base and service line and squat a little. The squat will help you as this will allow you to return "smash" it.

bchaiyow

Note my recent change of view regarding drive serves.

I have not seen the example in question, so I cannot say whether it was illegal.

Nevertheless, it is perfectly possible to perform legal drive serves on the backhand when standing right at the front service line. They will not, however, be as effective as illegal serves, which travel flatter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, drive serve can be done legally. However, I find it easier to do legal drive serve doing a backhand than a forehand. As bchaiyow observed, it is quite dangerous to the server than to the receiver. Once I had an opponent who love to drive serve to me in a double game and I really love to watch his surprised face when the shuttle came down much harder than his serve. After a few times (I guess he was a slow learner), he did not do drive serve to me anymore.

Cheers.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is only worth using a drive serve if the receiver stands right at the front, very close to the short service line.

In this situation, it will be difficult for the receiver to react before the shuttle has passed him.

If the receiver is further back, he will have time to react. Do a low serve instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is only worth using a drive serve if the receiver stands right at the front, very close to the short service line.

In this situation, it will be difficult for the receiver to react before the shuttle has passed him.

If the receiver is further back, he will have time to react. Do a low serve instead.
    In general, this is true. But with a fast opponent, it does not matter where he stands (right at the front or further back), drive serve can be returned "easily". One of the biggest weakness of drive serve is that it stays flat longer than a low serve; remember that a bird has to go over the net and the net has a certain height. Personally, I will not do a drive serve too often unless of course playing against county level or under opponents.

Cheers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crosscourt
    Personally I find it easier to drive serve on the forehand. I can't get the speed on my backhand but that might just be a question of practice. I use it quite a lot and have found that it works best against taller players as it is difficult for them to smash it back as it is below their shoulder height. I once tried it on someone who was slightly below average height and they were easily able to smash it back to me.

It's also quite draining mentally because you have to be ready for the return to be hit at speed and so you have to focus on the drive and then also having your racquet up for the return and staying sharp. (mental focus is my weakpoint!)
    I use drive serves a lot but that is mostly because, even after 25 years, my flick serves are not dependable. I hit too many out and then overcompensate and pop them up too short. I switched from mostly forehand to all backhand serves after playing for about 18 years.

I always drive down the line. I find that in the even court, the reach-around is too much for most people so even if there isn't that much pace on it, it is often effective. In the odd court against right-handed players, driving it down the line makes it difficult for an opponent to smash. By the time they move from their centre-left position all the way to the centre line, the serve has peaked and I have time to get in position. A flick serve down the centre line in the same situation gives most opponents the time to get back for a smash and most opponents I play against line up so far to their left that flicking to their back-left corner isn't so effective.

I stand a metre back from the front service line to enable the flatter trajectory that Gollum describes above. But then, I do short serves from the same position. I find that a low serve that peaks at the tape when I serve from a metre back will fall closer to the front service line. I find that when I stand further up, in order to avoid serving too short, I have to serve such that the peak is past the net tape and hence very inviting to attacking receivers.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by event
    I stand a metre back from the front service line to enable the flatter trajectory that Gollum describes above. But then, I do short serves from the same position. I find that a low serve that peaks at the tape when I serve from a metre back will fall closer to the front service line. I find that when I stand further up, in order to avoid serving too short, I have to serve such that the peak is past the net tape and hence very inviting to attacking receivers.
    This is true. If you think about the (roughly) parabolic trajectory that the shuttle will follow, it is clear that serving from further back will allow you to make the shuttle travel downwards as it passes the net.

This advantage, however, is negated by fast receivers who will use the extra time to take the shuttle right off the tape, with a very tight net shot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2