Please help me decide what racket to buy

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by robina1, Apr 26, 2005.

1. robina1

robina1 Regular Member

Student =D
    Hi, I'm in need a new racket. I've been using an MP30 for about a year and a half and recently sold it to a friend since he desperately needed one. Well I've been taking a look at the rackets out there and i can afford pretty much anyone i want. I'm mainly considering either an MP99 MP100 or NANOspeed7000. Before you say anything yes i know its a pretty big jump from MP30 to 99 but ive used my friends 99 and it feels pretty nice. The big thing is i cant really tell the difference between the rackets. I've also played with an MP44 but that racket is a tad bit head light for me. Can I please get some input on this? Thanks alot. Im also open to suggestions of other rackets.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If you are not able to tell a difference between the two models, the only difference will be in the cost!:)

3. hydraulix

hydraulix Regular Member

IT really depends what kind of player you are.... singles? doubles? offensive? defensive? you should give more of your playing style in order for other people to help you out.... MP100 is slightly singles and is really offensive.. and MP99 is almost all around... but tell us more about yourself first =)

4. Mesuca

Mesuca Regular Member

I think you should prepare for the different timing when you use the MP99, it is 10cm longer than the MP33.:eek:

5. Erwin

Erwin Regular Member

wow! 10 cm longer, that's a really big difference!! :p

it's 10mm longer, but I guess it was just a typo ;)

6. robina1

robina1 Regular Member

Student =D
    I'm play doubles sometimes mixed and sometimes not. I dont usually play singles. I like to smash quite a bit (since my partners usually dont) but my coach says my form for my smashes is quite bad. I've played with the mp99 once during a match using my friends and it didnt really seem longer than my 30. I've only seen the nanospeed at the store and i havent even seen an MP100 so im really lost on what to do :crying: thnx for everything so far tho:eek: btw cost isnt really a factor cuz i can buy the three rackets at relatively the same price

the main thing i guess is the mp30 was pretty head heavy...and im wondering if any of those three are the mp44 was headlight and i couldnt play with that racket :D

#6 robina1, Apr 26, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Of the three rackets, (mp99, mp100, ns7000), the mp99 is the safest option.

You see, there's no way to tell you what the best racket is. It depends on your preference. But if you are not sure, then get one that has balanced characteristics - ie, get one that's a safe choice.

You can't go wrong with an mp99. Ns7000 might be too head-light, mp100 might be too head-heavy. Mp99 is a safe bet.

8. robina1

robina1 Regular Member

Student =D
    I've also been hearing things about the ti-10? thanx a bunch everyone for helping me

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Ti-10 is an older racket, with a reputation for blistering power - if you can use it well. I believe it is an extremely head-heavy racket, but I've never tried it.

I would not recommend such a racket if you are unsure of your playing style.

If you've got cash to burn you might consider an At-800 De, since this is an extremely forgiving racket - very easy to use.

If you want to save money, there's always non-Yonex brands...

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If u think MP99 can really serve u well, u might just want to go with it. MP100 is quite stiff, and if ur form is wrong, it might cause injury easily. NS7000 is head light, which should be easier to generate faster swing, but if u don't like head light racket, then...

Maybe consider to try the MP99 (make sure check the U and G, as they could be quite different if not US code) again, and see if u can get the same one in US.

11. cmd17uc

cmd17uc Regular Member

Sub-par student
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the mp-88!! ;)

That is a great racket, especially for an offensive doubles player. There is nothing wrong with the mp99, but it is very stiff. The mp-88 is more forgiving and is a little head heavy. You would probably be better off to stay away from the ti10 and mp100 models (probably the mp99) becuase they are so stiff, which can cause injury.

The nanospeed is ok, but after having played with one I believe any of the other above mentioned rackets are better. Also, it is just too expensive :p

Hope this helps, good luck!

12. ahhs_1980

ahhs_1980 Regular Member

Student
    if u want light rackets, and power (not very power ful) go mp88/mp99, if u want enourmous power, go mp100, but its heavier than the 2. but i would reccomend to get a Ti-7 in your case...

13. mgsmith1

mgsmith1 Regular Member

and you Really should be thinking as much about string selection and tension as about the racket! The best combination depends on you--and the best racket for you with the wrong tension will Still feel lousy.

14. robina1

robina1 Regular Member

Student =D
    yes im going to take that into account, since today i broke my friends strings on his mp99:crying: ive decided that boys doubles will be hard for me next year because my partner is a senior and i am just a sophmore so im probably going to play mixed. Does that change much of the racket that i need? or is it still doubles?

ps thanx a bunch for all the input

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    MXD and MD are 2 totally different games. However, u are still urself... ;)

16. robina1

robina1 Regular Member

Student =D
    btw while you're here has anyone played with the nanospeed 7000? i think im leaning towards that racket. if you have:
    -how are the smashes?
    -is the head really light?
    -how is the stiffness of the racket?

17. cmd17uc

cmd17uc Regular Member

Sub-par student
    I found the nanospeed 7000 to be very head light, and much to flexible for my playstyle. From its feeling, I would classify it as a defense based doubles player racket, but to each his/her own :)

18. hydraulix

hydraulix Regular Member

Is that so? I thought NS 7k is a head light but STIFF racquet... that is why some people can hit some pretty powerful smashes with it... although it's head light I think power is reduced in exchange for speed!!

19. Stijn

Stijn Regular Member

Student
    NS7000 is certainly stiff. It's powerfull for a head-light racket, but more suitable for defensive (control) players...

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Personally, I will say NS7k is head light, and stiff enough to most of the players. If you have the proper swing (i.e. able to generate fast swing), then it will give u very good smashing power.