NS7000 vs AT800DE clarification

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Islander, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Islander

Islander Regular Member

It seems that many ppl here say the AT800DE is better at smashing and the NS7000 is not as good at smashing. However, the Yonex chart shows the NS7000 in the smashing/doubles section and the AT800DE in the receiving/doubles section. Shouldn't both racquets be in the receiving section if the NS is not very good at smashing. Is this just a marketing scheme by Yonex or is there any truth at all in this?

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The Yonex charts have some truth to them, but they are skewed quite heavily by Yonex's product differentiation marketing. Don't expect them to be accurate.

3. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

The yonex chart is full-proof if you compare the same type of racquets. E.g. only compare NS7K against NS8K. This method will not be subject to the same marketing bias that Gollum mentioned.

If you compare NS7K against AT800de, it becomes less accurate. In this case, you are better off using the BC reviews.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That's a good point.

Also, note that such a chart is always of limited value, because there is no such thing as "more powerful racket". It is the player who generates power; no-one has yet created a racket with a motor inside it ;)

For example, I get LESS power with a Mp100 than with a Mp99 or At-800 DE. Go figure :)

5. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

What Gollum is implying is that there is a difference between (1) "racquet swing speed" and (2) "head heaviness of racquets". You can get the same power from a lighter racquet if you can swing it faster. So, if one factor (or both) increases, then the users will find more power with a racquet.

I think that the Yonex racquet specifiations should not just display "power" ratings, but sepparate it into "aerodynamics" and "head heaviness".

#5 jcl49, Apr 26, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  6. Islander

Islander Regular Member

I see there is agreement that both the AT800 OF and the NS8000 both are pretty good at a smashing/offensive style play. The difference is in the fact that the AT800 DE is ranked as a defensive racquet with good receiving abilities and some smashing abilities due to its head heavyness. The NS7000 is ranked by Yonex as a better offensive racquet even though it is head light.
    I think the positions should be reversed unless Yonex determined that the faster swing that's possible with the new nonotechnology would generate more power than a swing which utilizes the heavier racket head, as in the AT, to generate the power.
    Just trying to make sense of some confusuion :(

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Everyone has different preference. Racket A works in power generation for u, might not be the case for me. Racket B gives faster swing (if u can handle), is also not true for everyone.

All the chat, review, recommendation, etc are just for reference only. If u want to purchase a racket, try it out by urself. You hand will tell u the more accurate information than anything u read about.

8. wawan

wawan Regular Member

I always believe that....the best benchmark...the best chart or graph or whatever to show how good the racquet is....is your own bare hand....your skill and style of play....
    please depends on it....you are the one who only knows that the racquet is good for your smashing...for your net play...for your drop shot....or whatever skill you wanna perform during your gameplay....

no special chart will perfectly guide you on the suitability of any racquets....
    even I also believe that.....if you ask bluejeff...or other BC experts....to come out with their own chart/benchmark...its pretty hard to get any identical result among them.... :rolleyes:

9. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    It's the player that makes the smash powerful, not the racquet.

10. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

and btw i don't think ns 7000 is a WEAK racket, but it can create a very powerful smash through a good technique and wrist action. that's at least my knowledge of the ns series...

11. hemants

hemants Regular Member

I recently tested the AT800DE and the NS7000.

I found the AT800DE (defensive!) to be far more powerful at clearing and smashing.

But ultimately, I think it's a bit technique sensitive. It could be that my technique is able to generate more club head speed with the AT800DE.

But I agree that it is odd that this is inconsistent with how Yonex characterizes the racquets. The best thing about the NS7000 was how light it was which I think would make it ideal for the flat game in doubles.