power from jump smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Phil, Oct 20, 2001.

1. Phil

Phil Guest

Right now, my non-jump smash is way more powerful than my jump smash. I know that the jump smash is meant to give you a steeper smash which will make the opponent lift it more. I would just like a little advice on the timing.

Should you hit the shuttle on the way up, at the peak of your jump, or on the way down, or a little bit of two? I find that hitting it while in the motion of jumping up reduces the power, since I was hitting the shuttle closer to my body. From what I've seen from better players, it looks like they hit the bird just at the peak of their jump.

Any insight appreciated.

2. jayes

jayes Guest

Let me answer your question in not as a "should", but what I find effective for me. :)

I find it most effective for me to hit the shuttle at the peak just a few millisecond before going down. However, effectiveness cannot be achieved most of the time, and I've done "effective" jumpsmashes while in motion (sideways, forward, and backward) and upward, sometimes for power, surprises, and angle.

Cheers. :)

3. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Here're my 2 cents. Based on my understanding on some badminton
    reference I read.

The extra power from jump smash comes from the downward movement -
    your body weight. The reference seems to suggest the best time to hit
    is just before you feet hit the ground again, so that you're ready to move
    again. If you time your contact incorrectly, and hit the smash while you
    are on your way up, you're losing power (think physics). In this latter case,
    you'd gain just steepness (hopefully you at least gain this).

4. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    The reason why people use a jump-smash is coz they want the angle, not the power.

5. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    first thing first, i am a person with no proper coaching in badminton so wat i am saying may be wrong.

i feel that when i jump smash i can achieve better angle and power. the reason is tt i jump, twist my waist backwards and when the shuttle is right (may not be at the peak of my jump) i just twist my waist and swing my arm& wrist as hard as i can.... and my body leans forward too...

comments ppl ?

6. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Raymond, I'm afraid you're quite mistaken.

A jump smash is not more powerful than a smash where your feet have full or partial contact with the floor. The point of the jump smash (as Byro has already pointed out) is to gain a steeper angle, and to take the shuttle as early as possible. It has nothing to do with "using the downward movement".

7. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    So in other words, Phil, you hit the shuttle at peak of the jump as you suspected.

8. Phil

Phil Guest

Thanks everyone for the advice. I played Badminton last night, and my jump smashes are getting alot more effective because I've got my timing down right. I hit the shuttle right at the end of the peak of my jump, so right as I'm about to start coming down.

9. Blitz

Blitz Regular Member

Daydreaming
    You dun even need to jump smash Limton.......you're so tall :)

10. Josh

Josh Guest

I use a jump smash and I find that it works very effectively. I hit it at the peak of my jump. I like this type of smash because it goes on an angle downwards so it makes the opponent have to return it in an upwards way so that you can get another perfect shot at the opponent. It's the most effective in doubles matches.

11. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I like to jump smash
    It makes me sexy