User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Plastic shuttle that flies like feathers

I remember a few years ago somebody (RSL? Carlton?) in the UK released a plastic shuttle that flies almost like a feather bird, and more durable than the mavis 300. I recall a few UK BFers having tried it and liked it very much. It was supposed to have begun exporting to other countries sometime last year, but I have yet to hear about them since.

Does anyone know what happened?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It was RSL but we haven't heard anything from the users so far.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredlemon
    I remember a few years ago somebody (RSL? Carlton?) in the UK released a plastic shuttle that flies almost like a feather bird, and more durable than the mavis 300. I recall a few UK BFers having tried it and liked it very much. It was supposed to have begun exporting to other countries sometime last year, but I have yet to hear about them since.

Does anyone know what happened?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you refering to the Carlton "Quill"? I heard some stuff about it before, that it's supposed to be very similiar to feather shuttles.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The quill shuttle is made by Ashaway. Here's what Central Sports gushes:

Quote Originally Posted by Central Sports
    "Quill is the first product to bridge the gap between standard nylons and feather".

The new concept Quill has a revolutionary patented structural stem cage design. A result of years of research it outperforms conventional soft nylon shuttles. For the first time the flight trajectory is perfectly matched to a feather shuttle as is the deflection recovery speed. The design concept eliminates stem fractures making it more durable than other plastic shuttles.

The almost perfect nylon shuttle.
    I tried it once. It's just a good plastic shuttle; don't hope for anything more. I might try it again, to compare against Mavis 300/370. In particular, it did seem pretty sturdy, so it may be a cheaper option with no drawbacks.

But there's no way in hell that thing feels like a feather.

Last edited by Gollum; 04-26-2005 at 06:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Mavis 370 is supposed to recover after a smash within 0.005 seconds of the recovery time of a feather shuttle. Whether that classes as "flying like a feather bird" I don't know. These don't seem to be available in all parts of the world, but is the plastic shuttle of choice in our local leagues.

Played in a league match where the opponents used Ashaway Quill shuttles. We normally use M370's and I think they felt a bit more like M300's from what I remember. A bit more solid when you hit them. Not sure about the durability though - we destroyed a couple (which doesn't usually happen with M370's)

Slightly off topic (perhaps), has anyone tried the Mavis 500's shown on Yonex Japan's website?
    Last edited by j_e_thompson; 04-27-2005 at 07:29 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j_e_thompson

Slightly off topic (perhaps), has anyone tried the Mavis 500's shown on Yonex Japan's website?
    I have and must say I didn't think it was any better than Mavis 370. My personal preference for nylon shuttles is Victor.

/mats

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j_e_thompson
    nothing amazing, i thought they were kinda midway between 300 and 370. the 370 is like a ping pong ball sometimes, and the 300 is a lot more solid when hitting. 500 didnt feel too light or heavy, but it didnt exactly "feel" great either.