Dutch, Taiwan shuttlers may spoil our team’s aim to top Division Two

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2005' started by ants, Apr 28, 2005.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TheStar

KUALA LUMPUR: National chief coach Yap Kim Hock said yesterday that several Dutch and Taiwanese players might stand in the way of Malaysia topping Division Two of the Sudirman Cup to be held in Beijing from May 10 to 15.

He said that although the biennial Sudirman Cup followed the team format, the opponents could throw a spanner in Malaysia's hopes of topping Division Two and earning qualification to Division One.

“On paper, Malaysia who are up against the Dutch, Taiwan and Russia in Group A of Division Two, are expected to walk through and meet the champions of Group B in the division,” he said yesterday.

Group B consists of Singapore, Japan, Germany and Ukraine.

Malaysia's line-up consists of Lee Chong Wei, who is ranked fifth in the world in men's singles, Muhammad Hafiz Hashim (eighth) and Wong Choong Hann (11th), and the pair of Chan Chong Ming-Koo Kien Keat (ranked 14th) for the doubles.

Wong Mew Choo (56th) will compete in the women's singles, while Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty (sixth) will do battle in the women's doubles.

Yap said Dutch singles players Dicky Palyama (20th), Eric Pang (47th) and Taiwanese Liao Sheng-Shiun (84th) were expected to give Malaysia a stiff challenge.

For the doubles, he said Malaysia would have to watch out for the Dutch pair of Jordy Halaping-Jurgen Wontes (ranked 63rd) and Taiwan's Huang Shih Chung-Chien Yu-Hsun (68th).

“For the women's singles, Malaysia have to take notice of the Dutch duo of Yao Jie who is ranked fourth in the world and Mia Audina who is currently ranked 16th, besides Taiwan's Cheng Shao-Chieh who is ranked 18th,” he said.

Kim Hock said that for the women's doubles, Pei Tty and Eei Hui were expected to face some resistance from the Dutch and Taiwanese pairs.

He said that based on current rankings, Malaysia's men's singles and doubles, and the women's doubles players should ensure that the team top Group A.

“The Sudirman Cup is also important to the players as it is their last chance to improve their rankings to qualify for the World Championships in Los Angeles next August,” he added. – Bernama

2. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Yap seems to forget about Russia.
    Though Nicolaj Zuev, Marina Yakusheva and Elena Schimko aren't in the team (injured? retired?...), they still have a strong team, they can win their matches from WS, WD and XD...

3. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Malaysia will pull this one off. They'll win the WD and XD plus MS, MD. So don't worry be happy :cool:

4. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Which one? What do you mean? :confused:

5. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

I mean malaysia ;). Mr Yap has some tricks up his sleeve. He'll get a royal flush down ;)

6. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Winning WD and XD won't be an easy task in any of the three matches.
    Winning WS will be very difficult in all three matches.
    Winning MS and MD shouldn't be a problem in any of the three matches.

So Malaysia has the edge, but nothing is done... :rolleyes:

7. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Like I said, don't worry be happy. Royal flush will come out :cool:.

8. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I'm not worried, I'm neutral anyway! :p

9. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

It's Jordy Halapiry & Jurgen Wouters first of all but there's no way malaysia will lose that one but since there are 3 matches out of 5 with women involved it might not matter what the men do against malaysia. Too bad Lotte Bruijl is not around because Mia & Lotte would take the WD, Mia or Yao will take the WS so it would come down to XD, maybe Yao & Dicky or Eric Pang or Jurgen Wouters, who knows what'll happen :cool:

10. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

I reckon malaysia will win 4 matches against the dutch. Don't forget we still have a 'wildcard' to throw in when we're in trouble. ;)

11. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    No offense meant but I think Russia will finish bottom of the group, and I think Malaysia can beat Russia 5-0. I hope you don't think I'm gloating or looking down on other teams. It is just my honest opinion.

12. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    It is possible, but that would mean Malaysia have to win all their matches besides the WS.

13. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I think Ella Karachkova is at least as good as Wong Mew Choo, and Anastasia Russkikh in WD and XD is a world class player, but it depends who she will be partnering.
    Russia might finish last, but certainly not without giving up a good fight, I think you are really underestimating them there...
    Maybe Malaysia can beat Russia 5-0 :rolleyes:, but Russia can also beat Malaysia 3-2 so the best thing is to wait and see! (that's what sport is all about!)

14. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

True true. We'll just chuck WCH in the XD department and let him cook up a storm ;)

15. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    There's no tomorrow

Yap Kim Hock should not find any excuse if Malaysia fail to advance to Division I. We can blame the players for not being tough mentally(very typical for modern Malaysian players) but if the head coach also having the same attitude before the macth is played then the change has to be from the top, Yap must go!
    Imagine if China head coach Li Yongbo has the same mentallity like Yap, China will not be that strong and most probable will not win the Sudirman. So Yap, put your act together and tell the players advancing to Division I is a "must", not an "option" else might as well send the young team to gain valuable experience. If the top management think is OK to lose given reasonble circumstances then that mentallity triggers downs to the players, is that simple.

16. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Well said Han, very true. If they play to even 75% of their true potential, Malaysia should make it to group 1.

17. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    If I were Yap Kim Hock, I would have said the exact same thing simply because it's true. Malaysia is favourite to go top, but not clear favourites. Before anyone start being complacent, I would remind my players not to take any team for granted.

Li Yongbo may have the "Jose Mourinho" must-win-everything mentality, yet China does not win everything. I'm sure the Koreans are very mentally strong as well, but they still cannot beat the Chinese.

18. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    hey how about choong tan fook and lee wan wah.they look unbeatable when they are on form.i was watching the 2004 ae md final.they look really impressive to me.hope lee returns to form soon.

19. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    Just saw the draw of Group 2A : Malaysia, Netherland, Chinese Taipei and Russia.
    Without under-estimate the other teams. It seems that Malaysia has a goed draw this time, and I am sure that Malaysia will promoted to the 'Big 8'.
    The competition in this group will very tie between Malaysia, Netherland and Chinese Taipei. I think Russia at this moment can not compete with the other three.

Malaysia vs Chinese Taipei : 4-1 or 3-2
    If nothing special happen, MS, MD and XD will go to Malaysia.
    WS is for Taipei Cheng Shao Chieh will take the point.
    WD is the most interesting. The war between Wong Pei Tty/Chin Eei Hui and
    Chien Yu Chin/Cheng Wen Hsing. But I think Wong/Chin will win.

Malaysia vs the Netherlands : 4-1 or 3-2
    If nothing special happen, MS, MD and XD will go to Malaysia.
    WS is for the Netherlands, Yao Jie will take the point, but if Mia plays, it will be 50-50.
    WD, My feeling goes to Malaysia.

Malaysia vs Russia : 5-0 or 4-1
    Sorry, I don't mean to under-estilame Russia.
    If Russia can take 2 points from Malaysia (Played by the first team), it will be alarm for Mr. Yap Kim Hock.