User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 22
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    indonesia
    Posts
    5,674
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default special wild card for tony/chandra

    too bad, tony chandra can't play in WC 2006

    is it possible to give them a special wild card ?
    Last edited by taufik-ist; 08-26-2006 at 05:47 AM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,202
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taufik-ist
    too bad, tony chandra can't play in WC 2006

    is it possible to give them a special wild card ?
    Doubt it but you never know. I hope so.

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    5,436
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I Doubt it too, WC is strictly on rankings and nationality/continental methods.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vacation Home @ Disney World
    Posts
    2,128
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    In tennis, the more players in the tournament, the higher level of the tournament. The grand slams have the biggest number of participates. Goran Ivanisevic had to win it from qualification round. If he had excluded, then the champion would not be the best that time.

    Opposite to tennis, in badminton, the fewer players, the higher level, that's the reason badminton cannot go professional. Olympic has the fewer players by excluding many decent players, then it's regarded as the highest, World Championship has the 2nd fewer players by excluding some decent players, then it's thought to be the 2nd highest.

    Without Tony/Chandra, Chen Yu, Wong CH, Roslin, how come WC can claim WC, it should be called Part of Word Championship(PWC)

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    5,436
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Wimbledon is an open tournament, any one can enter, and acceptance based on Rankings, with a few wild cards.

    Olympics is not an open, but based on Nationality+Continental authority. It is the same for Olympics tennis, it is a lower level than Wimbledon (however in tennis terms people often skip OG because no money).

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2cents
    In tennis, the more players in the tournament, the higher level of the tournament. The grand slams have the biggest number of participates. Goran Ivanisevic had to win it from qualification round. If he had excluded, then the champion would not be the best that time.

    Opposite to tennis, in badminton, the fewer players, the higher level, that's the reason badminton cannot go professional. Olympic has the fewer players by excluding many decent players, then it's regarded as the highest, World Championship has the 2nd fewer players by excluding some decent players, then it's thought to be the 2nd highest.

    Without Tony/Chandra, Chen Yu, Wong CH, Roslin, how come WC can claim WC, it should be called Part of Word Championship(PWC)

    most definitely. but like badminton, the tennis event during the olympics has similar restrictions in terms of the number of people that can represent a single flag. which i guess puts it lower in prestige compared to grand slams.

    everytime one reads about badminton it's always about collective nations winning a certain number of titles or losing them. whereas in tennis, the individual usually gets mentioned before the country he or she represents. think about how many posts there are on this forum about how any finals event would be "anti climatic" simply because the players are under the same flag like say for instance a zhang ning xie xing fang final. in tennis, an henin-hardenne clijsters match would be considered mouth watering and hugely desirable even to non-belgians fans.

    i think in order for badminton to really progress further, it would be necessary for the players to start taking charge of their own careers. it's perfectly fine for fans to support players from their own countries, and i think its only natural that they do. but we and more importantly the players themselves need to start seeing the game really as a battle between players rather than countries. if only one could dissolve national training camps and federations.

    anyway, perhaps they might take into consideration that candra and tony are ex winners, and by tomorrow, might have already won 2 tournaments this year. well we can only hope and pray for a miracle.

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    5,436
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by khelben
    I think in order for badminton to really progress further, it would be necessary for the players to start taking charge of their own careers.
    True but for this to happen there needs to be enough money to make the players who are good enough self sufficient. Mostly players are subsidised by their countries.

    There has been examples all the time of players who do not play with national squad (eg. Sairul (MAS), Andrew smith (ENG)) but these have been subsidised not by prize money, but by other means.

    What comes first though the chicken or the egg? we need more money to have individuals like football, tennis, golf etc.. but won't have this until we get the individualists.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vacation Home @ Disney World
    Posts
    2,128
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    That's my point that as a fan, we should not value OG higher than 6 star opens. But as IBF, OG and WC are the source for their earning, that's the problem. Money/Sponsorship is the problem, plus a bad system makes it worse. Dead loop.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    1,264
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't think so .. the only wild card was given to a spanish player =/
    I remember in 2003 Peter gade received a Wild Card and he lost to Sony dwi kuncoro in the first round

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    921
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Syaoran_Style
    I don't think so .. the only wild card was given to a spanish player =/
    I remember in 2003 Peter gade received a Wild Card and he lost to Sony dwi kuncoro in the first round
    why was he given a wild card?

  11. #11
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    5,436
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Gade because he is a big star and WC2003 in Europe, he was coming back from injury so possibility of causing upset.

    Spanish guy because he is home player so more publicity.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    indonesia
    Posts
    5,674
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    they played two 6 stars tournaments , and won all , after splited for 6 years

    IBF should consider that point and give them special wild card for the best come back
    Last edited by taufik-ist; 08-27-2006 at 06:26 AM.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    5,147
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taufik-ist
    they played two 6 stars tournaments , and won all , after splited for 6 years

    IBF should consider that point and give them special wild card for the best come back
    Agree, Candra and Tony are special players. I would like to see the best players present in world championships. Then whoever win is the real champion .......

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vacation Home @ Disney World
    Posts
    2,128
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tjun Tjun
    Agree, Candra and Tony are special players. I would like to see the best players present in world championships. Then whoever win is the real champion .......
    You are absolutely right, but

    if you think an open tournament champion is better than the WC champion, then all problems solved. I always value WC lower than top tier open tournaments, and Olympic is the lowest!

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    china
    Posts
    1,358
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taufik-ist
    they played two 6 stars tournaments , and won all , after splited for 6 years

    IBF should consider that point and give them special wild card for the best come back
    yeah, i agree, if they don't attend, we can't say the WC champion is the best

  16. #16
    Regular Member cxytdn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    China
    Posts
    654
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    According to the regulations for World Championships, only the pair who come from the same association can play in Worlds.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vacation Home @ Disney World
    Posts
    2,128
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cxytdn
    According to the regulations for World Championships, only the pair who come from the same association can play in Worlds.
    So, IBF really doesn't care who is/are the best in the world, IBF only cares money, because WC and OG bring big (relatively big) money to them, while open tournaments don't. So they turn WC into battlefields for different nations.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    : 04-24-2007, 03:09 AM
  2. Tony And Chandra !!! Godlike ?
    By Angelou in forum Malaysia Open / Korea Open 2007
    Replies: 73
    : 01-22-2007, 10:59 PM
  3. special wild card for tony/chandra
    By taufik-ist in forum Korea Open / Hong Kong Open 2006
    Replies: 1
    : 08-26-2006, 07:48 AM
  4. News: Sony gets wild card for world badminton championship
    By Cheung in forum World Championships 2003
    Replies: 6
    : 07-18-2003, 10:34 AM
  5. Tony/Chandra wins !!!!!
    By Budi in forum General Forum
    Replies: 0
    : 08-13-2001, 02:02 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •