Hello from Burnaby, BC, Canada

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by yogi7, May 2, 2005.

1. yogi7

yogi7 Regular Member

I've just joined. I'm a mother of two and I haven't played for 6 years since I moved from Malaysia! Well, honestly two years ago, played 2 games until I found out I was pregnant. :D I used to play 2-3 times a week with the guys I worked with. I'm looking forward to playing some recreational games while I get my stamina back.

Anyone living in Burnaby, BC and would like to play a game or two each week, PM or email me.

Looking forward to learning about the game again.

Yogi

2. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Welcome to BadmintonForum, yogi7! :D There're PLENTY of Brunei-ians, Sporeans playing badminton in Vancouver/Burnaby. Hard to tell, cause almost all I've met are Chinese :D

WHereabouts do you play? Cameron Centre? Bonsor?

-dave

3. yogi7

yogi7 Regular Member

Hi Dave

I've just started looking around for a place to play. I used to play a few games with my friends at South Burnaby High School. I'm looking for someone/group to play with preferably in Burnaby :) If you read my posting in the "Where to play" forum, I went to the Bonsor drop in this morning.

4. wood_22_chuck

Electronics Technologist
    If it's not too far for you, you can try Cameron Centre. There's drop-in on Monday night, think at 7pm to 9pm, but call to check, please.

There's a sign-up board there, so there's less, uh, snubbing :)

Cameron front-desk: 604-421-0976

Bring your own birdies, mainly plastics, I'm afraid, but nothing to stop you from bringing your own feather birds. Unadvisable, as the rest of the players are generally unaccustomed to feather, and will DEMOLISH them in maybe 3 points.

I'm from Sarawak originally ... what about yourself? Have you tried the various Malaysian restaurants around town?

-dave

5. yogi7

yogi7 Regular Member

I would prefer daytime as I don't work. Hubby works late so finding a babysitter is hard. I'm from Penang. :) Yep, tried a few restaurants but none so good. The best hainese chicken rice is from Orchid Delight. What about you?

Where do you play, Dave?

6. wood_22_chuck

Electronics Technologist
    Noodle dishes and Hainanese Chicken Rice (for me) would be at

Malaysian Hut
    14727 108 Ave
    Surrey
    604-588-1718

I'll try out Orchid Delight, thanks for the recommendation. Daytime, huh? Hmmm maybe other BF members can help. I know there's a group of seniors that play every Wed 12:30 to 2pm at Cameron Centre, and they're not a bad bunch. You must think I work for Cameron by now, ha-ha :D

I used to play at Cameron before, and various places in Vancouver, but almost always in the evening. There's a drop-in every day of the week, so depending on when I'm free to play, there's where I'll go.

Good luck in your baddy-hunt! :D

-dave

7. yogi7

yogi7 Regular Member

If I play in the evening, it will have to be Mon or Wed if I can get my MIL to babysit. Not many days to choose from on the weekdays. :(

I'll try Malaysian Hut when I'm in Surrey. Thanks.

8. wood_22_chuck

Electronics Technologist
    Here's a club looking for players:

Click here.

-dave

9. yogi7

yogi7 Regular Member

Thanks Dave. I saw that thread. Sadly, Tues are out! No babysitter. Oak is too far for me.

10. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Hey Yogi7,

Warm welcome to BF:)! I actually live very near Burnaby South High (about a block away from it) yet I only drop in there once (dunno anyone) and never drop in at Bonsor (too early). Before I joined Vancouver Racquets Club (VRC), I was a regular at Collingwoods Neighbourhood House and Cameron Community Center.

You should check out Collingwoods as it's slightly more competitive than other drop-in places yet very friendly and close knit. Come out once and assess your compatibility with the group:). To know further details and latest news on Collingwood, pm break-my-strings.

#10 cappy75, May 3, 2005
    Last edited: May 3, 2005
  11. yogi7

yogi7 Regular Member

Cappy, I guess we live near each other. I'm at the other end of Rumble, near Griffiths. :)

12. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Cool! From Edmonds Skytrain station, you can take the skytrain to Joyce-Collingwood station... walk southwards for a block along Joyce St. staying on the leftside of the street and you'll get to Collingwoods Neighbourhood House. The advance players play sunday mornings (10am onwards)