I Need Singles Help!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by K3vin, May 2, 2005.

1. K3vin

K3vin Regular Member

On thursday, we have our final match. I would really like to win my final match before I go to league.The problem is, the opponent that I am playing against is much more conditioned than me (I believe he runs on cross country); so it is going to be very hard for game for me. I play defensively, mostly by making my opponent run around a lot. However, this guy never gets tired. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me against someone like this. Right now, I am planning to smash down the lines and clear. :crying:

2. Big Slick

Big Slick Regular Member

Well if you reckon that he will win if the match goes to a third set then you need to go for the win in two. Maybe you need to try being more aggressive, take chances on where you think he will hit the shuttle and move early. You might go the wrong way a couple times but if you're decent enough at reading your opposition then it could work. Your other option is play your normal defensive game and be very patient, and hopefully eventually he will get tired. I think if I was you I'd start off playing your normal game and try moving the opponent around a lot. Then if that isn't working you can shake things up and start going for your shots and guessing where the shuttle is going to go.

3. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Sure, he may have more endurance than you, but is he more skilled?

You really are not clear on how skilled you guys are.

But i suggest you show some aggressiveness and finish the rallies early. But really, don't think about it too much. If you think about it too much, you'll lose. Think positive, and win.

4. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    Nobody's perfect. You can still make him run around but not necessarily to tire him. You can make him run from each corner of the court and then attack him while he runs back and attack his backhand.

Remember: Everyone has a weak backhand :D

5. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

i know someone who's backhand clear is monstrous.
    his forehand clear on the other hand is... more... normal.
    its pretty wierd. haha

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Since he has better condition and have more stamina and a non pro. My guess is that most likely he is a rally player. He may think that he would want to tired off his opponents. That my own opinion , i may be wrong. My suggestion is you better finish him off early, be more aggresive.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Assumption: he likes to rally and always in position.

Tactic: play fast clears, steep half smashes, mix up a couple of drives down the line placed just out of reach.

Try not to let him get into a rhythm.

Tactic: sometimes play netshots to the centre line of the court

He might be one of those players who likes to hit to the corners. Placing a shot down the centreline may make him hit out.

Tactic 3: write down a quick summary of your tactics on a card to look at in the break. Check if they are working. If not, :D try alternate game plan.

8. K3vin

K3vin Regular Member

Clean strokes and very consistant. Not very quick in changing direction tho. Again, I haven't seen this guy play in more than a month and this will be the first time I will play against him.

9. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

haha~ play every shot to his backhand at baseline will do it.

10. synkro

synkro Regular Member

Heck if being aggressive doesn't work...take the long scenic route. A person only has so much stamina, even if he is a cross country runner. If you play defensively and can place your shots well...he wastes much more energy in each sprint to the shot. It's a matter of whether you are better defensively than he is at attacking.

11. splitstep

splitstep Regular Member

IT Consaultant
    Cross country is some what different to how you move in badminton, its more like jogging at a steady pace. Badminton is a bit different, if you make him run corner to corner with fast offensive clears n drops, im sure he'll eventually tire.

so just believe in yourself and play your best! keep ur head up high! ;)

12. heyphilip

heyphilip Regular Member

Student
    there are some great tactics here...

if all fails play dirty... tire his mentality, and i am sure you can think of so many ways. :D do weird shots hehe, return his smashes, most important...show a cocky face, not a beaten face. good luck

13. K3vin

K3vin Regular Member

Ill try my best to get him out of rhytm. Lets hope I stand a chance against him =).

14. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

Just be at ease at your game bud.
    And don't forget to post the result here, we want to know all about it!:cool:

15. thevooster

thevooster Regular Member

Hi kevin. You and your online forums. first AP and now this? :p Maybe YOU should join cross country. Work those lazy legs of yours. And you plan on clearing and smashing? wow. First time for everything, eh?