BG-66 snaps that easily?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Sgt_Strider, May 3, 2005.

1. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

I had my AT800 DE strung with BG66 at 20lbs for cross and 18lbs for main and it snapped today. I had the racquet strung for about a week and surprisingly it snapped today. I'm not a very strong player so I was surprised that happened. Someone told me that my racquet probably wasn't strung very well and I think that's a possibility why it snapped so fast. Anyway here is my rant of the day :(.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu

trying ranting your stringer ;)

3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

where did it snap?

4. HKChua

HKChua Regular Member

Software Architect
    Sometimes.... it may be due to the grommets with sharp edges, it bites!

Thanks.

5. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    No point ranting it at your stringer. Maybe its the grommets. Next time check your strings properly after stringing, so if there is any minor cuts on the strings, then you can tell your stringer about it.

I experienced this once... i never check the strings after it was strung at a shop since i was in a hurry. It snapped after few hits. I had it strung again and before i left the shop , i found there is a cut. I complained to the stringer and good thing he replace a new string for free.

6. Sgt_Strider

My friends are speculating on why it snapped like the location of where I hit the birdie. However, I wasn't looking at where I hit it.

On a side note, just wondering if the stringer didn't do a good job stringing the racquet, can it actually causes damage to the racquet? I got my racquet strung at VRC and he actually strung my racquet twice before.

7. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    mmm. Which ## cross or ## main was it which snapped? The string I mean...

8. christoffer

christoffer Regular Member

Trainer
    I think it has been badly strung/stringed(?) Since it af a few hits i broken.. As I recall bg66 is prette much similar to bg65, which is a very solid string... I play with bg80 (30lbs) and my string lasts for weeks..

If you had it done recently, go back to your stringer and tell him about.. it should be broken after such a short terme! especially not with 18lbs..

9. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

BG66 is Yonex's thinnest string, at 0.66mm diameter
    BG65 is thicker and more durable, at 0.70mm diameter

BG66 can be broken by just 1 big mishit
    and so can BG80

I find head-heavy racquets break strings more easily than even-balance or head-light racquets.

10. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Yes. When I first move to US, I had my badminton racquet stringed by a general sporting shop. They cracked my frame (it was a 6pt machine, they claimed) @18mX20c. They can not replace my racquet because it was the first time they have seen a high end badminton racquet. The moral of the story, DO NOT take a badminton racquet to a general sporting shop! They contract the job out to LaLa land and you get screwed!

11. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    i know how u feel... i have given up on bg66... on average it snapped every 10 days... or, errrm, ard 4 sessions of 3 hours each. i've used bg66 for 4 years and it is only the recent 6 months that it's like this... i think its yonex's fault.

now i've changed to ashway techgut.. it's also 0.66mm. and it's great! u guys should try it! very similar to bg66!

12. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    For me; the BG66 string breaks every 2 to 3 weeks strung @ 22/24 lbs.
    BG80 lasts a little bit longer.

13. daringkidz

daringkidz Regular Member

That doesn't sound too good..im an avid supporter of the bg 66 string..all my other friends use bg 68 ti but I won't give in to the dark side...:p

14. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    BG68ti is good IMHO... but then after a while it just feels dead~ dont have the "punch" of bg66... so my first choice is still bg66 if i have unlimited supply of it and free stringing! hehe!

15. dakguru

dakguru Regular Member

IMHO...I'm surprised that BG-66 snapped so easily on your AT800DE at 19lbs (18x20). I have the same string on a number of different racquets strung anywhere from 22lbs (21x23) to 26lbs (25x27) with no sudden surprise breakages. With approx 12hrs/wk playing and hard hitting, it last up to 6 weeks with good replusion and little lost of tension before having to re-string. However, I have snapped the strings due to the odd mis-hits. As others have suggested, check the grommets for sharp edges cutting into the string and replace them. At least this will reduce one factor or the chances of string breakage.

Good luck.:)

16. daringkidz

daringkidz Regular Member

I just love the repulsion of the BG 66...it feels kinda crisp too....

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Before we finger point to the stringer, make check where the breaking point is. If it's a mis-hit, then there's nothing to complain about. BG66 is only 0.66mm, which means a big mis-hit can just get it done. Personally, I string my own racket with BG85 (0.67mm). Most time, it will hold up for 2-3 weeks. Once it only lasted 2 sessions, due to a mis-hit, when i try to execute a powerful net kill.

18. Sgt_Strider

I already cut the strings out so I can't remember where if it was a mishit.

I'm just wondering if you can answer my last post in this thread about the misstringing would damage the head of the racquet? Thanks!

19. jsunsun

jsunsun Regular Member

AT800 are more prone to string breakage because of it's different string pattern. From what I see at my club, 90% of the string breakage are results of hitting the shuttle with the very top of the string bed, where there's no cross strings (in the AT800s, this section is longer). when shuttles hits this point, because there's no cross string supporting the impact, the main strings essentially takes twice the normal force, thus resulting in much higher chance of string breakage (and because this region is longer in AT800s, they're more prone to string breakage compared to other racquets).

also, from my experience, the most vulnerable time of string breakage with the Bg66 is when it's freshly strung. i usually string mine at 26lbs, and I break my strings ~40% of times during the first session. if it doesn't break in the first session, it usually'd last me ~20 sessions.

#19 jsunsun, May 3, 2005
    Last edited: May 3, 2005
  20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I use BG66 and string it at 271/4 lbs mains and 30lbs crosses for many of my friends. My experience with the string's breakage rate is that even at this high tension BG66 has a reasonably acceptable servic life. Some of my friends are very hard hitters. They play 3 times a week, 2 hours each time. Their strings are usually replaced every 2 months or 6-7 weeks. However there are some hard hitters and not so hard hitters who do not have perfect timing. These are the people who break high tension BG66 easily, sometimes with their first couple of shots. At high tension a mistimed power shot, with the feathers instead of the cork hitting the stringbed, will shatter the string.
    I now even offer a sort of guarantee on the service life of BG66 at any tension. Should their BG66 break within one month, irrespective of the number of times they play, I will restring it for a mere HK$50. :D