Late Singapore President Wee once Jnr Singles Champ

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Loh, May 3, 2005.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore has lost one of her most popular Presidents who was once associated with badminton.

The late President Wee Kim Wee (1915-2005) who rose from a newspaper circulation clerk to journalist, editorial manager, diplomat (ambassador to Japan, South Korea and Malaysia) and President of Singapore, came from humble beginnings but became the head of state for eight years and during his tenure was enamoured by all citizens, rich or poor, young and old, irrespective of race, language or religion. Yet he brought his high office to the people, connected with them and opened up the Istana (his official residence) to the public and hosted many ordinary citizens to tea without public fanfare.

Mr Wee was an all-round sportsman but excelled particularly in badminton, in which he proved by winning the 1937 Singapore junior singles title.

Actually, Singapore badminton was honoured with having not only Mr Wee involved actively as a player, the late President Ong Teng Cheong was also involved by being an ex-President of the SBA.

Singapore badminton should repay the attention that these two great Presidents had devoted of their time to the game by making an impact on world badminton! :)

#1 Loh, May 3, 2005
    Last edited: May 3, 2005
  2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Impressive accomplishments :)

3. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    That's real cool that a President was a former champ. I wish my country's Prime Minister was a former champ :p

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I also found out that our late President Wee was also President of the Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) from 1958-1962.

So the SBA has had two Singapore Presidents at the helm in the past - President Wee and President Ong. One could therefore surmise that badminton in Singapore has always had the support of the top echelon of Singaporeans.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    LOL, u r asking too much.
    All i ask for is our Prime Minister isn't a crook. :cool:

6. lohtw

lohtw Regular Member

Now the support tends towards soccer and golf. And of course our "integrated resorts" ;)

7. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Loss of a great badminton champion.

We truly lost a great champion in former singapore president Mr Wee Kim Wee. He is a former champion and really helped in developing badminton in both singapore and around the world. A great leader he is. I wonder if Singapore BA will put change the singapore open under his name. Not many former badminton greats gets the chance to be a peoples president.
    warmest regards.

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    The Late President.

There is a Wee Kim Wee Cup though. I guess it is time to escalate to Wee Kim Wee Singapore Open Championship. This will help create an Identity to singapore which the country have been searching. Not succumbing to sponsor pressure. His legacy is second to none and unlikely to be matched in terms of charisma and leadership.
    rgds.

9. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    I understand that the Wee Kim Wee Badminton Tournament 2005 will be held at Arena country club in Singapore from 13 June to 10 July 2005.