how do you do a jump smash?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by molid, May 4, 2005.

1. molid

molid Regular Member

skwl kid
    ive been playing badminton for about 2 years now and now i want to move on to learn the jump smash i see top player jumping really high but i can barely jump of the floor in a game. i try to jump and get about a foot or a half of he ground and hit the shuttle but its going no-where. whta should i do to increase the height and better power

2. siKiD

siKiD New Member

It's mostly all form and timing. Realistically you dont really need to jump all that high to get a powerful smash...as a matter of fact you dont really need to jump at all. You just have to have the correct form and time when your racket hits the bird. Something that may also help is the speed of your swing. The speed of your swing effects the outcome of your smash. The faster your swing is, the harder your smash, but less controlled. The slower your swing, the more accurate you can smash, but its not as fast. Hope this helps:)

3. synkro

synkro Regular Member

the only upside you have for a jump smash compared to a stationary smash on the ground...is simple. You get a much sharper angle and you look really cool if you can do it well haha. Timing is key, but if you really want to improve power and height. Then jumping rope and weights will do the job. The weights correlate to the swing speed as stated above, that's what matters.

4. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Regular Member

Student
    the point of a jump smash is to get a better angle to force the birdie down so it will be hard for the opponent to return it. but u have been playing badminton for 2 years, i recommend u to start jump smashing around your 4th year. between these 2 years i say you should do 3 sets of jumping on your toes. about 1:30/1:00 minute each set. take 20 second break, and jump again on your toes. do this everyday, before you run or do your normal excercise/conditioning. increase the time around every week. about 10-20 seconds per week. around your 4th year, when u start learning to jump smash, u will be suprised by how high u are jumping.

good luck :)

5. lorus_blue

lorus_blue Regular Member

for me jumpsmashing is quite easy, maybe because i'm a high leaper in basketball (i play basketball besides badminton and i also play volleyball once in a while!)

6. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

Hmm, thats strange. Ive only been playing for 3 months and on somedays when im on fyre.... i can jumpsmash. Steeper angle for me but no power improvement. But i think i look like a retard when i do it :crying: . i jump like 1 and a half foot in the air and do this wierd sciscor kick thing and smash the bird lol. Kinda like kicking my own ass type of thing, then performing a smash. I only do it for the extra inertia...

7. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

oh yeah and im only about 160 cm tall with shoes on.

8. lorus_blue

lorus_blue Regular Member

btw i've been into badminton a little over 3 months now and i'm 5 feet 7 inches tall and weighs about 138lbs.

9. Lobber

Lobber Regular Member

just practise and catch the timing.But before that..try searching for the proper way of doing a jump smash,cause i do a "stunt" way and injure myself :(

Also,i notice,my friend did not even need to jump at all to carry out a fatel smash.hes 170cm..

10. Gundude

Gundude Regular Member

wow, jumpsmash

i jump smash sometimes, i'm 175cm...
    i learned to jump smash in just 2 months...quite ez, especially when u become really agressive. should keep trying to jump smash, u will get the hang of it..However, dun keep doing it, wait for the chance and be quick on the feet

11. carmelo15

carmelo15 New Member

I have been playing baddie for 4 months, and could jumpsmash whenever there is a good attacking chance... I suggest watching tutorial videos to learn how both your legs coordinate as well as how maximum power can be generated... cheers;)

12. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    I personally watched the pros do their jump smashes and adjusted my jump smashes accordingly. The best part is rewinding the jump smashes over and over again watching them in slow motion ;)

13. Jumpalot

Jumpalot Regular Member

Yep, you got it. that one of the best way to learn: by watching the PRO's in slow motion until you can copy it.

14. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Can you do a standing smash properly? If you haven't gotten that down correctly and just decide to move to the jump smash then you might develop some bad techniques or habit.

But yeh, you just wanna jump as high as you can and contact the bird some point in front of you so the bird will go down at a steep angle i.e. if you were to contact the bird right above you, the bird would go straight/flat out and if it were to be behind you, then you would project the bird up into what would seem like a weak clear or something.. in otherwords, if you take the bird behind you, you're going to lob it.

I don't know what other advice to give you other than, jump high, practice a certain contact point INFRONT of you to give you a good angle and be able to recover.

Ever play volleyball? That helps.

15. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    lol he's asking how to do a jump smash and you guys did a comparison between jump smash and normal smashing on ground.

Although I don't know much, I'll tell you what I do.

When I see the shuttle up in the air, I move to the correct position, I prepare for the swing then I jump and release the power from my arm and hit that shuttle.

So basically I charge up the swing then jump. Dunno if that's the correct way of doing it.

16. jrjrdinh

jrjrdinh Regular Member

I can jump smash when I'm real hyped up. And I do quite well when I see it myself also. It just takes timing and focus.

First when the birk is cleared up. I get into ready position and with right timing I jump. When I jump I make sure that when I catch the birdie that I hit it down-ward real hard and I'm moving down too. The force of hitting the bird with your wrist and your movement going down provides very nice power into your jump smash. :cool:

This is my 2nd year and I can already jump smash. I plan to put more control this time and hopefully master it by my 3rd year.