best way to prevent foot blisters

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Calasm, May 4, 2005.

1. Calasm

Calasm Regular Member

i've been playing for a while now and i keep on getting foot blisters on the top right of my left foot (and top left of my right foot). and i was wondering if anyone had some sorta method to prevent this....

i've tried thicker socks..... and bandages

thicker socks kinda works but bandages just shrivile up while im playing

2. RaymondLin

RaymondLin Regular Member

Student/Badminton Player
    Ya this happened to me before
    I got thicker socks and I didn't get any blisters anymore

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Try two pairs of socks.

4. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    Maybe its time to try new shoes?

5. Gade Rules!!!

Gade Rules!!! Regular Member

Two pairs of socks

Try using two pairs of thin socks, it works for me.:D

6. ^Tayo^

^Tayo^ Regular Member

Try Yonex Shoes, very comfy. I got the SHB-98 and has power cushions in it.

7. cheung31

cheung31 Regular Member

ha great post, i get the EXACT same problem as you, guess i'll try the 2 socks trick. i wear asics gel rocket 2

8. sexytom

sexytom Regular Member

I use loads of talc because I have really sweaty feet :eek: and its the sweat rubbing that gives me blisters. Two pairs of socks helps too! Lets them rub against each other instead of rubbing against your feet :)

9. surfpunk

surfpunk Regular Member

I think I'll try the 2 socks trick.

I get blisters/callouses on the balls of my feet - usually only when I'm playing singles though! Anyone else suffer from this?

10. Calasm

Calasm Regular Member

i use yonex shoes

the..... spaceman looking ones that are almost all black with some blue

11. Nephrus

Nephrus Regular Member

if you are one of the people who likes to cut the thicken skin on your feet from playing badminton. Depending on how much you play a week i would suggest that you don't cut them until your weekly games are over. i play tues and weds nights so i usually cut them after i shower on weds night so they have a good week to air out and regrow for the next week of badminton. but if you cut them prior to playing it makes your feet more vulnerable to pain and blisters, since the skin is thin and fragile. just my 2 cents

12. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    I used to have a similar problem, and I solved it at first by using thicker socks. Not comfortable though, because the shoe gets tighter and sweatier.

I actually found that using a thinner sock CAN still do the trick. I import Karkal socks, and they serve me great.

The thing is, it's not the thickness of the sock that matters-- it's avoiding direct friction against the skin of your feet. Thicker socks just happen to get this job done because they're by definition more insulated (the best kinds have some sorta towel-like soft fibres on the inside) and they act as a buffer between the insole of your shoe and your foot.

A thinner sock can still do the trick, but it has to be a properly fitting one. The Karakal socks that I wear have an elastic just above the ankle, and an extra reinforcing band around the middle of the foot. What this does is that it keeps the fabric of the sock hugging my foot at all times, acting effectively like a second skin that absorbs all that friction against the insole. I find that with some cheaper thick socks, there's still some play between my foot and the sock itself (because the elastics aren't strong enough, and the sock doesn't hug my skin).

Course, there are good thick socks and good thin socks, and bad ones to both categories as well...

I prefer the thin, "second skin" type of sock to good thick socks any day though-- thick socks make you sweat more, and that makes you chaffe more as well.

Needless to say, since a good thin sock is acting as a second skin and taking all that burn, it has to be made well not just to be thin, but to be durable. I think socks are a pretty good investment though, so Karakal it is. I've tried Nikes, Addidas, New Balance and Asics... of the bunch, the Asics were the runner up to Karakals, but they're a lot more expensive I found. New Balance is a close third.

I'm gonna try out the SOTX socks some time soon, I wonder how those will turn out!

But yeah, bottom line: thicker may be better in general, but good thin ones can also be good:).

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    SHB68.

do you think that they give your feet a good fit?

some people's feet are side, some are narrow, similarly for shoes. some are wide and some are narrow. if you happen to have wide feet, you will suffer if you try to fit them into a narrow pair of shoes.

in that case, no remedy will help you, the only way out is to get a different pair that better fit your feet.

14. Cengsc

Cengsc Regular Member

Administrative..
    Re

Hi,

u can wear 1 pair of thicker sock.
    put powder around yr areas where u get blisters, then put on yr sock.
    Also check yr shoe interior if there is any hole or spolit cloth or material which causes the friction between yr foot to it.
    If there is try to mend the hole if not change a new one.

ceng

15. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    Just play more baddy, and soon you get used to it, and those regions of blisters soon thicken up, and you won't feel it anymore. You start losing feeling there...:confused:

16. madman

madman Regular Member

I reckon the blisters on the little toes are the result of an ill-fitting pair of lousy court shoes and possibly with a pair of lousy socks. It is recommended to get a pair of good court shoes (eg; Mizuno) and with a size slightly bigger than your current pair. Hope this helps.:)

17. Super~ME!

Super~ME! Regular Member

student
    ...hmm...actually...this is pretty true i think. i used to have the same problem...and i just ignored it cause whenever i play, the sweat on my geet reduce the friction...as a result...the balls of my feet thicken up like BethuneGuy said and now there's not probelm. the weird thing is that now the balls of my two feet look pretty different:eek:

18. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    A good fit in a pair of shoes minimizes blisters best followed by thick socks. When you find the perfect fit, buy multiple pairs of the model.