Rexy set to join BAM

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by ants, May 5, 2005.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TheStar
    PETALING JAYA: It will be a big boost to the development of Malaysian mixed doubles badminton if Indonesia's former doubles ace Rexy Mainaky takes up employment with the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM).

Rexy, an Olympic and world champion, is tipped to become the second foreign coach after China's Li Mao to take up a coaching post in Malaysia this year.

He is expected to assist national chief coach Yap Kim Hock in taking charge of the doubles players in the national team.

Although the BAM were tight-lipped over the matter, it is believed that Rexy agreed in principle two day's ago to take up an appointment with them.

The BAM are expected to have more discussion on the terms of a contract when both parties meet up during the Sudirman Cup world mixed team competition in Beijing next week.

A final recommendation would still have to be made to the BAM council, who are expected to meet in the middle of the month.

Kim Hock did not divulge any details but said that they certainly need an extra hand, especially with the World Championships coming up in three months' time.

“All I can say is that we are short-handed and I need another coach to assist me. He has verbally agreed to come here to help with preparing the doubles players ahead of the World Championships in August,” said Kim Hock.

The BAM secretary, Gangga Rao, did not discount that Rexy is on top of their list.

Other coaches whom the BAM are looking at if things do not turn out their way are Chinese coaches Chen Changjie and Chen Kang, who have had stints in Malaysia before, and Thailand's Sompol Kukasemkij.

But having Rexy in the fold will definitely be a big boost to the doubles department, especially after the exit of Kim Hock's assistant Tan Kim Her, who left in January to coach in South Korea.

Kim Hock is currently assisted by former internationals Pang Cheh Chang and Chang Kim Wai in the training of the doubles players.

Rexy has a contract with the BA of England, which will expire at the end of next month.

With the English team, he has taken the mixed doubles pair of Nathan Robertson-Gail Emms to the silver medal in the Athens Olympic last August.

The pair also won the All-England title in March and they are the current world number one.

As a player, Rexy's biggest achievement was partnering Ricky Subagja to the Olympic title in Atlanta in 1996, beating Kim Hock-Cheah Soon Kit in the final.

The previous year, they emerged as the winners in the World Championships in Lausanne.

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    YEAH BABY!!!!

Rexy, one half of the two superb Indonesian pairs of the 90s are to join the BAM. This is great news indeed! Hopefully no more nonsense like we had with foreign coaches in the past - not them but the short sighted officials at the top.

We got Park JB, lost him.

I hope it won't happen again. :mad:

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    This will be a big boost for Team Malaysia. I believe that Rexy can definately contribute to the teams success.

4. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
  5. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Nah, we won't I bet. Looks like Yap Kim Hock is building a winning team. Team of coaching staff and players ;). Brilliant tactican he is...

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Hmm... it would be weird for Indones to see Rexy in the Malaysian coaching team. Them being traditional rivals and all. Has Rexy been a huge impact while at BAE? Guess he wasn't happy in UK afterall.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it has happened before. Indra Gunawan was a singles coach for a little bit. but i do agree that having an Indonesian coach in Malaysia is a bit strange.

Rexy did have some impact with the English team. notably with Robertson and Emms.

interesting decision by BAM though. wasn't it only a year or two ago that they say they want to rely on local coaches? that's how Yap and Misbun came about after Park left. now they are back to the old method again.

Morten Frost
    Indra Gunawan
    Park JooBong
    Li Mao
    Rexy Mainaky

did i miss anybody?

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Heh! Guess the locals couldn't do any better than the foreign legends in motivating the Malaysian shuttlers to higher glory:p. Rexy could turn things around with his renown, but only for awhile. People get accustomed to brilliance rather fast. If coaching isn't the problem, then something else in the system is.

9. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    I've always wondered what relations between professionals of different countries are. for example, i wonder if rexy and yap get along just fine, or if there's any animosity because of their history as doubles pairs against eachother?

10. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    The problem had never been with the quality of coaching - look at the roster above; all are top class trainers. The main problem had always been two; 1st player's attitudes who think they know better than their coaches, rebellious etc. 2nd is the internal politics.

1st is beginning to thin a little, look at it in LCW, quite obedient to Li Mao in respect to the guy's abilities

2nd will never be eliminated... :mad:

11. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    No 2 can be eliminated, we just need a dictatorship kinda ruling in the BAM ;)

12. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Han Jian

not sure about anybody else.

Coming back to Chen Changjie, did I not hear he was coaching in the AUS a while ago?

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Mainaky unsure of England future

Mainaky unsure of England future - bbc sports

England doubles coach Rexy Mainaky insists he has yet to decide whether to accept an offer to work in Malaysia. The former world and Olympic champion has had a successful four-year spell with England, and signed a one-year deal to cover the Commonwealth Games.

But Malaysia have approached him to do a similar role for them working under Yap Kim Hoch, whom he beat in winning the Olympic doubles title in Atlanta.

"This is not about money, it will be made on personal grounds," he said.

Mainaky's situation is complicated by the fact that his recently widowed mother lives in Jakarta.

"If I moved I would be just an hour or so away and could get to see her at weekends and take some of the pressure off my brothers," he explained.

"I want to go back to England and talk to Badminton England and to my wife. We are very happy in England and my children are doing well at school there."

Mainaky will have to make a decision before the world championships in Anaheim in August, with the Malaysians keen for him to take up a role with them before the tournament.

14. takuan

takuan Regular Member

congrats to BAM got former one of the best player in the world :)

15. afham07

afham07 Regular Member

Student
    What u said in 1st sentence is not really correct. Im disagree with you. It is because, Malaysian coach also can train the player to become a great player in the world. For example, look at Lee Chong Wei and Muhammad Hafiz Hashim, both of them are under Misbun Sidek, Malaysian coach. Not along time ago, in 2001 if im not mistaken, Roslin Hashim becomes No 1 in the world. At that time, he was under Misbun Sidek, Malaysian Coach.

Now, Lee Chong Wei is under Li Mao from China. It is because, Misbun Sidek want to give more attention on Hafiz Hashim and another new player, Kuan Beng Hong. Now, Hafiz's performance become better (his form was dropped after won All England). About Kuan Beng Hong, i cant say anything about him. We will see what happen to him in 2 years time. I believe, Kuan Beng Hong will become a great player.

About double, Yap Kim Hock do not have enough time to spend on the court with his players. It is because he needs to do management job also. So, it is hard for him to do 2 things at the same time. Another reason is Tan Kim Her, Malaysian coach, was moved to oversea to train players for South Korea or England (Im not sure where he is?). So, Yap Kim Hock do not have enough asisstant to assist him in coaching double players.

Yes, i really hope that Rexy will join BAM. With he is here, i think, our double player will become better. Love to see, 2 legends in badminton (Yap and Rexy) train our double players.

16. afham07

afham07 Regular Member

Student
    thanks to Indonesia because produced such a good player and now become a good trainer. :)

17. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

There are always exceptions. Of course a player generally performs much better when he has the personal attention of the head coach. However, my point being that the Malaysian team as a whole hasn't been performing too well despite some good performance from a few of its players. One can get all the quality coaching yet not perform well in tournament if he or she doesn't have the right motivation/spirit. My impression of the team is that collectively they could do alot better but that they're harder to motivate.

18. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c

hehe :D

that is a fair view i suppose.

but i say the locals arent doing any worse (insert cappy75's sentence here) :p ;)

cheers

19. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Just to enlighten those from outside the country, quite a percentage of the Malaysian public had this mentality of glorifying many things overseas. So, don't be surprised with some answers you get around the forum by Malaysians.

Me? I suscribe to : "A cat, black or white, as long as it catches mice, is a good cat". ;)

20. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    i hope you dont mean me! :D (since your post came right after mine)

and i totally agree with you!!!!!!! i called out this as post-colonization-syndrome! (east and west mind you ;) ) previously somewhere in this forum

why Rexy will be a great addition to the Malaysian Team

Primary reasons
    1) his reputation, success, and experience as a coach
    2) Language leverage ---> in both English and Indon (which is similar to Malay)
    3) he's closer to home..... so he should be happier with lower psychic cost with his family in Indonesia ------> happy workers are productive workers

secondary reasons
    1) his success as an international player (world champ)
    2) lack of coaches in the BAM doubles section

well thats my opinion

cheers

8man