Fast vs Slow Drop

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by cityhunter, May 8, 2005.

1. cityhunter

cityhunter Regular Member

Hi all. I've got a problem. What is the proper form and stroke for doing a slow drop? I have a good fast drop, where its almost a light smash which I aim to the corners of where the singles service line meets the wide boundary line. However, if i do not get this swing properly, I often leave the shuttle 3 feet above the net which gets smashed back down. When executed properly, it usually hits right where the lines I mentioned meet going about 2-3 inches high over the net. I never usually miss the fast drop low, the lowest it comes it usually skips over then net, which is perfect. I need a slow drop though, as if my opponent is in the back of the court I need to keep the bird close to the net, help!

2. checkthemc

checkthemc Regular Member

None/Student
    You really dont use slow drops in singles much, but you can always just slice it.

A slice drop is more of a trick shot, it looks like the speed of a regular fast drop, but it slows down extremely fast.

3. cityhunter

I have a decent slice which I can play easily from the back right or left corner. When I'm playing from the back left, I angle towards the spot where I would do my fast drop on the right side, then slice the birdie to the short left corner, on the back right I would set up to smash down the right line and play the slice to the short left corner. I can execute the shot almost every time when contact is good, but where do you contact the shuttle on a slice? In front of the head, overhead, or behind the head? I find if I wait too long and try to play the slice when the birdie is in front of me, it loses height too fast. I usually have to swing about 80% to make the slice with the angle that I hold my racket, what is the correct angle for the racket head on a slice? And how much do you need to compensate to keep the bird in play?

4. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

Cityhunter, to make a slow drop, picture the shuttle going in a parabolic trajectory. You need to hit the shuttle up, so that it comes down vertical very tight to the net. It's like playing mortar.
    If you can visualize that, then the technique comes easily. I use the slow drop in singles, it's quite effective :eek:

5. Pball

Pball Regular Member

I usually do the mistake you have mentioned of sending the bird high over the net when I hit it too late, try to hit the bird earlier or somewhere around 11:00-10:30. This should be about the same place you hit for the fast drop.

Try getting someone to watch you as you play, see where you are hitting for the slow drop, also the angle of the racket as it hits the bird.

regards

6. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    Just a word about playing fast drops vs slow drops in singles: When you know your opponent is out of position, that would be the only time I would play a slow drop. Then I know it will be difficult for him to reach it before it gets to the level of the net. If he IS in position, fast drops are the way to go, as he wont be able to move to intercept them early.
    when it comes to doubles, slow drops are not going to be very useful (again, unless your oponents are out of position and you can play a slow drop to make them lift)

7. fanatico

fanatico Regular Member

Student
    haha. just slow down your swing and you will get it or you can also just stop your racquet halfway through the motion. usually people have more problems with fast drops, because they lose distance when they increase speed. watch some badminton matches, i am sure they will be helpful.

8. cityhunter

Alright thanks for the pointers. Has anyone heard about the new Bg66 Sharp string yet? It's on the Yonex Japan website, whats it like? I have Bg66 in my Ti-10 right now.

#8 cityhunter, May 9, 2005
    Last edited: May 9, 2005
  9. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    I found that using slow drops against a fast player is a death wish... :confused:
    The guy just hairpin drops it...