Help me move!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Ed, Nov 4, 2001.

1. Ed

Ed Guest

Hi everyone,

I'm huge fan of badminton and I'm having a very tough time in moving backwards in the singles game. Will someone please tell me how to move to the rearcourt from the fore and mid court positions.

My problem is with the rapid flick serve. I stand with the left foot forward with the weight on the balls of the feet to receive the deep flick serve (in the singles game) -Now, which foot should move first - the left or right? And how should the feet move? Should the steps be long or short - quick or slow?

Should I be running backwards? How do I run in a shuffling manner? Is shuffling the only correct manner to move around in the court? How do I improve my footwork? What kind of drills are recommended for improving footwork?

I see a lot of top players stand very close to the net even in the singles game and I've been imitating this style. The result is often disastrous for me. How close should I stand to the front sevice line?

A whole lot of enthusiasts can benefit from this information as everyone agrees that footwork is the most important factor in badminton.

Thanks in advance.

Best,
    Ed.

2. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

I would say the best way to improve movement is to do abt 10 sets of shuttle picking and Shuttle running! U could also do various types of shadows. This is the best way i think u can improve your movement!

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If you are getting caught out with a flick serve in singles, suggest you make your base one foot further back. If you still get caught out, move another foot back.

Moving backwards in the middle of a rally from base position is different from moving backwards from receiving serve.

If you jump backwards to hit the flick serve and do a smash, chances are you are going to lose the point. Reason is after impact, your whole body is still travelling backwards after impact so you still need time for your body to land, stop and run forwards. Safest shot to do would be a gigh clear to give yourself time to get back to base.

If you are right handd and receive left foot forward, I would suggest moving your right foot back first.
    The shuffle step description is basically correct but to cover more ground, the shuffle step incorporates sidejumps as well.

Good luck