(off topic) squash really kills my hand

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by smelly, May 9, 2005.

1. smelly

smelly New Member

IT
    This is off topic but i need some advice.

I've started squash recently (having been a badminton player for over 15 years, i also play tennis) when ever I paly a fore hand shot my hand really hurts! I mean intense pain just behind my kuckles. I' tried changing my grip but that doesn't help. My back hand is fine (in that it doesn't hurt). what am i doing wrong? My grip is similar to my badminton one and thats fine in badminton! It hurts!

2. fanatico

fanatico Regular Member

Student
    hello.

i think you are probably gripping too hard. relax your grip and ensure there is a gap between your palm and your racquet. try it out, maybe you won't get this intense pain.

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Hmm. That sounds like it would make the pain worse, not better. A squash racket is too heavy to hold lightly in your fingers while you play.

But then I'm not much of a squash player, so what do I know?

4. smelly

smelly New Member

IT
    I can play tennis fine and the tennis racket is much heavier and you hit the balls harder. I just can't identify where the problem is. If I grip on broom handle and then turn my hand into it it causes alot of pain along the back of my hand - only happens with squash. And I'm getting to like the game - unfortunatly it weakens my badminton quite alot.

5. tir168

tir168 Regular Member

Uni Student
    one problem that badminton players have when switching to squash is locking the wrist, as i was told. i played squash a bit, but major badminton.

I was told to "lock" my wrist, which is the complete opposite of badminton where the wrist movement is important. In squash, the swing of your arms is the key, not the wrist.