Six New IBF Vice Presidents (One an Aussie)

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by jump_smash, May 9, 2005.

1. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    #1 jump_smash, May 9, 2005
    Last edited: May 9, 2005
  2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I join you in congratulating Robin Bryant for being elected as one of the six VPs from Australia. I'm also happy that we have a representative each from Denmark and Hongkong, in place of China, which is visibly absent except for ex-star player Li Lingwei who is a member of the 17-member IBF Council.

Perhaps the most notable VP is Vishwa Kumar Verma from India and hopefully, with his election for a 4-year term, Badminton India will rejoin the world superstars.

South Korean Badminton will definitely shine for the next four years now that the new IBF President, Dr Kang Young Joong and Korea's most famous ladies singles badminton star, Bang Soo Hyun, are spearheading Korea's badmiminton drive. Except for Korea, which is represented by two officials, the rest of the IBF members come from different countries, unless one considers Hongkong and China to be one country.

Badminton popularity in the Philipppines will presumably expand further with the election of Edgar Batalia Aglipay to the Council. It is also reassuring to see Paisan Rangsikitpho continuing to represent the USA, an important target for expansion by the IBF no doubt.

With the badminton strong countries of China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Japan and newer ones like India and the Phillipines, Asia continues to be dominant even without Thailand's presence, now that IBF President Korn Thapparansi has stepped down. Europe is also well represented but notable absentee is France. (What do you say Seven?)

I suppose the IBF has now decided to spread its wings far and wide and it has therefore roped in as VPs, Cephas Nanshep Lar of Nigeria (African Continent) and Gustavo Fernando Slazar Delgado of Peru (South America). By so doing all the world's six continents are represented and this will to some extent ensure that world badminton can survive and remain as an Olympic sport. Aiso the new IBF training centres will be well patronized.

Punch Gunalan of Malaysia must have been recognized as a key-man in world badminton as a new post as Deputy President was presumably created specially for him. But, except for Anne Smillie of Scotland, England is not in the picture. Maybe the trauma of having to vacate the age-old IBF London headquarters and transferring it to Kuala Lumpur this October is just too much to bear. Personally, I feel that England should have a permanent presence in the IBF. Hopefully, time can heal and England will once again play its rightful and useful role in the IBF in the not too distant future.

The new IBF Councill will have a gigantic task in its hands and we could only wish it well. :)