User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NotGood
    man i was playing bonsor at metro a few months ago and my opponent's fake armotec 900 super offensive snapped and flew towards to...holy hell it was scary, good thing i pulled a "matrix" style dodging and got out of the way man....
    rofl.
    that movie save your life. Notbad

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    rofl.
    that movie save your life. Notbad
    yeah, also you might want to change id from NotGood to Not Dead... LOL!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by world-of-dreams
    I can confirm that this accident did occur and that I was e-mailed by my supervisor to check all badminton equipment (racquets) for defects. If any of you are supervising or running a badminton program, I strongly suggest that you do check equipment for any defects or faults and recommend replacement where applicable. The e-mail only stated that there was an "accident" at W. Point Grey but with a little information digging I discovered what badrad has been telling you. Any more information regarding this accident is unavailable pending investigation.
    I apologize for doubting you guys. I just found this so unbelievable that I, well, chose not to believe it. I was obviously wrong, there seems to be real human tragedy behind this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Playing w faulty equipment...

Quote Originally Posted by badrad
    Although this may sound like an urban legend, someone last week actually got killed playing badminton in Vancouver. This happened at one of the community centers over at Point Grey.

How it happened is a not entirely clear, but it was apparently from a broken racquet that flew off during a smash. The wounded player (unclear whether it was self-inflicted or the opponent who was hit) was impaled in the eye. The custodian there administered first aid. The player died the next day at the hospital.

Although there has been little news about this, some community center staff are instructed now to double-check racquets for defects.

World-of-dreams - want to add your insight on this?
    [I have charge of 20 kids from ages 4-17 for one hour on Sundays...weekly racquet inspection would be a hassle, remember, there's also attendance and a lesson...any quick solutions out there?]

HL
    Last edited by HLinIllinois; 05-20-2005 at 04:28 PM.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HLinIllinois
    [I have charge of 20 kids from ages 4-17 for one hour on Sundays...weekly racquet inspection would be a hassle, remember, there's also attendance and a lesson...any quick solutions out there?]

HL
    if it is a class format, group them into pairs and have each person in the pair inspect the other person's racket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think i can confirm this incident, as my coach had told me he was there when it happened. apparently it was one of the crappy community center provided steel racket of some kind, and the shaft/head came apart from the handle. it is a very tragic incident. i think it was 4 white people, under the age of 30, playing, when a racket head+shaft flew off and struck a person opposite the court near the eye. this resulted in brain damage or something, and the poor fellow passed away

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info, SWC_Ant ... I think many players are curious of the details of this tragic incident.

-dave

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

this is indeed really sad.

but to learn from this accident, we badminton players need to keep an eye out, make sure the rackets our opponents use are in good condition and won't suddenly fall apart.

but i think such an accident is very very rare, the chance that we see a racket break and flying off is very rare, and add to that having it fly straight into someone's eye is even more rare. at least we do hope so.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feel very very sorry for this person.

All the safety concerns, such as inspecting equipment, should be highly recommended through out our community. However, don't be surprised that many "good players" will think us getting crazy, for looking at rackets all the time before the game.

One more thing, i really get motivated to improve my body reflex now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SWC_Ant
    i think i can confirm this incident, as my coach had told me he was there when it happened. apparently it was one of the crappy community center provided steel racket of some kind, and the shaft/head came apart from the handle. it is a very tragic incident. i think it was 4 white people, under the age of 30, playing, when a racket head+shaft flew off and struck a person opposite the court near the eye. this resulted in brain damage or something, and the poor fellow passed away
    because of poor funding, these old and decripited steel rackets (or those new steel ones that sell for 5$ each here or 1$ in china) are even more dangerous than modern fake racquet. A piece of flying steel debris pack alot more punch than a piece of flying graphite. Maybe ok for a E level player but a decent swing by an adult can dislodge any loose piece. Last year, i converted a bent heavy steel racket as a warmup racket. I had to add extra security measures around the shaft-handle connection for safety reason because i know i can dislodge it if i don't.
    Last edited by cooler; 05-26-2005 at 11:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

man why wud u use a steel racket as a training racket though? its dangerous + it can injure u, because of uneven distribution of weight. Use an Iso 53 mf, those are 2u g3, and the sweet spot is big, so u wun get as much power with ur regular swing, causing you to improve strengh. iso 53 mf = good training racket

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

guys this is fo real, just last week somebody died playing...well, after playing badminton, they had an intense game and after that the guy sat down to drink, then after drinking he stood up and suddenly collapsed, he hit his head on the floor, theres this 2inch hole at the back of his head, doctors said he had a heart attack and he's just 27yrs. old

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glencomienda111
    guys this is fo real, just last week somebody died playing...well, after playing badminton, they had an intense game and after that the guy sat down to drink, then after drinking he stood up and suddenly collapsed, he hit his head on the floor, theres this 2inch hole at the back of his head, doctors said he had a heart attack and he's just 27yrs. old
    wow - only 27 years old! did he die from the heart attack or from concussion?

really have to make sure you obey the signs your body gives you, but when competing it's hard to tell. during the hot spells, keeping hydrated is essential, this prevents cramps and possible heat strokes.

I remember one night a while back, at Britannia, there was this rather silly 80+ year old (lol...not me!) who was playing with a bunch of younger teens (lol...lol...NOT ME!), and after playing a game as he sat down on the bench, he just casually collapsed. he was totally unconscious, and had labored breathing. W-O-D had to close the gym as the ambulance came to attend to him. he did wake up, and he had absolutely no idea what had happened and why there was all the emergency crew around him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the doctors said he suffered a stroke thats why he collapsed, and at the same time when he hit his head on the floor gave him the concussion, having a 2inch hole at the back of your head will make you lose blood a lot quickly, so i guess both, i talked to the guy he was playing with, he told me that there wasnt any sign that the guy was having an attack or something, they both sat down to drink, after a couple of seconds the guy stood up then suddenly fell, kinda scared on what just happened, im just 30 yrs. old and that thing happened to someone whose younger than me thay tried to revive him 'cuz some of the players on the court were nurses and doctors but there was nothing they can do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glencomienda111
    the doctors said he suffered a stroke thats why he collapsed, and at the same time when he hit his head on the floor gave him the concussion, having a 2inch hole at the back of your head will make you lose blood a lot quickly, so i guess both, i talked to the guy he was playing with, he told me that there wasnt any sign that the guy was having an attack or something, they both sat down to drink, after a couple of seconds the guy stood up then suddenly fell, kinda scared on what just happened, im just 30 yrs. old and that thing happened to someone whose younger than me thay tried to revive him 'cuz some of the players on the court were nurses and doctors but there was nothing they can do.
    at least he died happy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear the demise of some badminton players while in action. I do also hear some pll died of heart attack while playing badminton. However i think the mortality rate in badminton is still much lower compare to other sports.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

happen at the High Prairie Open a few years ago - guy died of a a heart attack after playing. Evylngrynn's dad was there when it happened.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast