Killed in action

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by badrad, May 10, 2005.

1. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Although this may sound like an urban legend, someone last week actually got killed playing badminton in Vancouver. This happened at one of the community centers over at Point Grey.

How it happened is a not entirely clear, but it was apparently from a broken racquet that flew off during a smash. The wounded player (unclear whether it was self-inflicted or the opponent who was hit) was impaled in the eye. The custodian there administered first aid. The player died the next day at the hospital.

Although there has been little news about this, some community center staff are instructed now to double-check racquets for defects.

World-of-dreams - want to add your insight on this?

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Feel sorry for this poor person. Guess I need to check everyone's racket, before I get into a game from now on. :eek:

3. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Could you find out more.. this is quite serious. Since when has badminton so violent.

Hard to imagine a racquet flying into the eye, provided it was doubles and the racquet head snapped and the head flew and hit the partner standing beside it...

Please find out more.

Sorry to hear such a thing :(

4. iain1953

iain1953 Regular Member

As a player of more than 30 years, i have seen heads of racquets fly off a few times, even my own. They all have been lucky enough to have missed my partner and my opponents and hit the wall.

I've never though of checking other peoples racquets before they play, but i will now.

My sympathys go out to the poor soul who died, there families and the person who's racquet broke.

5. other

other Regular Member

Student
    mmm can you get some more info on it?

i suppose the racquet was already badly damaged before it snapped? it must have been swung very very fast to actually impale someone....

6. Nephrus

Nephrus Regular Member

A little off topic but I have seen a girl who played with earrings on and resulted in getting her ear torn off because of a the strings getting caught. NOTE it wasn't one of those big loopy earrings just a normal small accessory. So becareful guys and gals :(

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu

Guys :confused: :confused: :D

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i think fakes are prone to this type of failure.
    I know, i had flung off two fake pro ace (when i was young naive), both time snapped off at the thumb cap location. After checking, the reason was obvious, no carbon fibers construction in the shaft down there, and cheap wood handle. Yes, those projectiles can cause serious damage. One flew over my opponent head (MS) and another just 2-3 feet above one guy's head (MD).

Can u guys find out more whether it was a fake racket being used. I have a gut feeling it is.

#8 cooler, May 10, 2005
    Last edited: May 10, 2005
  9. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I've seen a guy do it with a fake MP99

10. Nephrus

Nephrus Regular Member

guys wear ear accessories too !!! :D

11. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    oh my...that's pretty serious! my thoughts and concerns go out to the family and friends of the individual.

after all this is an accident (rare i might say), but it bothers me that a racquet can do so much damage. Has anything else like this happened in tennis?

...yes guys do wear earrings (studs are the most common). The only "accessories" i have are my necklace (no bling) and my live strong wrist band..

Hmm...Badrad...it's possible that this may have ended up in the local/community newspapers instead of the Vancouver Sun or Province.

hmm....time to check www.mybc.com or use our friendly tool google

12. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    My heart goes out to the deceased's family and friends. A splintered badminton racquet is extremely dangerous as a flying projectile. Remember modern arrows are made with carbon fiber.

13. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    This is so odd that if it really happened it would for sure have been reported by AP or some big news agency, and it would have ended up as a "how's-that-for-bad-luck" snippet in news media all over the world.

I doubt this really happened.

14. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    I thought the same, and did try looking for news of the accident. It has been kept very quiet.

World-of-dreams was informed by his boss of the incident, and also was instructed to do racquet checks at his badminon programs.

I think many of the center staff have been instructed not to say anything about the accident, or downplay it due to pending investigations.

15. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Badrad, if you can find out the cause of the incident, it'll be great. Just keep all the names hushed and places hushed.

Although it's a sad tragedy, we must learn from mistakes and accidents like this to prevent anything similar from happening in the future.

16. world-of-dreams

world-of-dreams Regular Member

Financial Aid Worker
    I can confirm that this accident did occur and that I was e-mailed by my supervisor to check all badminton equipment (racquets) for defects. If any of you are supervising or running a badminton program, I strongly suggest that you do check equipment for any defects or faults and recommend replacement where applicable. The e-mail only stated that there was an "accident" at W. Point Grey but with a little information digging I discovered what badrad has been telling you. Any more information regarding this accident is unavailable pending investigation.

17. NotGood

NotGood Regular Member

Student
    man i was playing bonsor at metro a few months ago and my opponent's fake armotec 900 super offensive :confused: snapped and flew towards to...holy hell it was scary, good thing i pulled a "matrix" style dodging and got out of the way man....:eek:

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

rofl.
    that movie save your life. Notbad;)

19. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    yeah, also you might want to change id from NotGood to Not Dead... LOL!

20. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I apologize for doubting you guys. I just found this so unbelievable that I, well, chose not to believe it. I was obviously wrong, there seems to be real human tragedy behind this. :eek: