touch play

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Dan, Nov 8, 2001.

1. Dan

Dan Guest

I was reading thru past messages -- what is meant by "touch play"?

2. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Ancient wisdom?

I think it was me who wrote that, a bit carelessly perhaps... I needed a term that would be the opposite of power play. In other words, a playing style that is based on accurate placing of shots, deception, economy of movement. Power is only one aspect of this game, and as most experienced players would agree, it's not even a very important one. Power will not win you any matches. All you really need power-wise is the ability to clear from base to base in an awkward situation.

In search for the perfect smash, most players tend to forget other areas that would REALLY improve their game.

Just my few cents worth of ancient wisdom... :)

3. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Re: Ancient wisdom?

Yup ! Mag, I subscribe very much to that idea. ' Power is nothing without control '.

That's why I still prefer the MP-100 over the Ti-10. Power is more than sufficient yet control is excellent.

Touch play is nothing more than 'delicate' shots. Guess uncommon jargon from different regions get people all flustered and confused.

It refers to the soft net shots, tumbling net returns, drops, slices, etc, etc of the genre.

( At least that is what it refers to for me ... :) )

4. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager

That's what i think of as touch play also. Mag, what you're describing I think is what Malaysian players/coaches call stroke play. As one coach put it, "Don't try to hit the hardest or the fastest, hit so the shuttle hits the floor as soon as possible."

5. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

If u see at the best level a Point is one by rallying more than smashing hard! U set up a smash to finish teh rally but never as an outright shot!

Mag u are 1000% correct

6. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer

Mea culpa! Stroke play is the term I should have used. English is not my native language, so sometimes words evade me.