Any places to play in Long Island,NY?

Discussion in 'USA East' started by EastcoastAZN, May 13, 2005.

1. EastcoastAZN

EastcoastAZN Regular Member

Badminton mercenary
    Hi i noticed that there are over 15 high schools in long island,ny that have badminton teams. Are there any places including these high schools that have after school hours badminton open to the public? If you know of any colleges and universities that have recreational and club badminton activities in the NYC and long island area please share your knowledge with me.

2. rajgurunyc

rajgurunyc New Member

Hi,

I am looking for places tp play in Long Island NY myself- Have you found any places yet? Am looking anywhere in Nassau county. Pl. reply at : rajgurunyc@aol.com
    Thank you
    Raj

3. NYPathfinder

NYPathfinder New Member

Badminton @ Stony Brook?

Hello all...
    I went to stony brook and I used to play out there. You'd have to check the schedules but I think they have a friday night and sunday afternoon program.
    You're *supposed* to be a stony brook student but they don't really bother you (just as long as you have your own racket and shuttles).
    The players there are actually quite good and it's mostly men. They have a lot of courts which are well lined and the nets are setup and everything. I do suggest you bring your own shuttles since some of the ones they have there get pretty ratty looking.
    I've been looking for some place to play in Nassau (everything's in Queens or Eastern LI it seems). If you stumble across anything in Nassau or western suffolk please let me know.
    I live in Nassau so commuting out to Stony Brook is a bit of a hike for me.
    Hope that helps!
    Lisa

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I believe in summer, they have practice from Mon to Thurs, from 5:30 - 8:30? Of course, you need to bring ur own equipment, and ask the front desk to setup the net.

Better double confirm with them, before making a trip.

5. EastcoastAZN

Badminton mercenary
    The Lazybuddies are going to train in Stony tonight

Hi Lisa yes they still have badminton in Stony Brook on tuesdays to thursdays from 5pm to 9pm. I'm part of a group of traveling crazy badminton people headed by the one and only Lazybuddy. For instance today i was just on and off the phone with friends talking about where to play this thursday night. It was either go up to Connecticut or go out to Stony Brook. The good things about Stony Brook now is that the place has four courts and isn't that busy plus there are four good hours do play and train. I travel from Queens so it takes me an hour to get there. I wish i knew some public badminton spots in Nassau too but those who are out there that do are keeping it a tight lip about it :crying: . Anyways right now i can't begin to think about playing because i'm just trying to get over a sore throat and an injured foot. That's what happens when you play badminton too frequently. So how long have you been playing badminton Lisa and where do you practice? Do you have a place to play now? What's your asl? :D

6. goose

goose Regular Member

If you are interested in playing in StonyBrook, check out the schedule from this site. http://studentaffairs.stonybrook.edu/recreation/openrec/facilityhours

7. goose

goose Regular Member

8. NYPathfinder

NYPathfinder New Member

Hey again......I think I'm going to chekc out stony brook tonight actually (theyre having open courts from 6-11pm). Since it's raining no tennis tonight so might as well head indoors!
    I'm 25/Female/Nassau County, Long Island.. I've been playing for about ten years now (since I was a freshman in HS....10 years....god I feel old now!) and I've come pretty far in that time. The first time I ever picked up a badminton racket was in middle school but all my years of tennis definitely helped out. I'm definitely a strong singles player (played first singles in high school and won most of my matches) so I prefer singles over doubles. When I went to Stony Brook I played there but now I'm really looking to find a club closer to where I live. One of these weekends I'm going to check out the Brooklyn Badminton club but that's also quite a hike from where I live so I wish something would open up in Nassau.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Start on Oct 1st, friendly club (Jamaica HS location) will be re-open. This location should not be too far from u, if u have a car. Check www.friendlybadminton.com for more information.

As for today, I don't think I can make a trip to SB, due to family issues. However, I believe EastCoastAzn going to be there, as well as several other decent players. Hope ur guys have fun together. Due to limited court time, most time u might end up for doubles rather than singles.

Btw, you said u were in team during HS years. May I know if u come from Great Neck North / South? :rolleyes:

#9 LazyBuddy, Sep 15, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  10. EastcoastAZN

Badminton mercenary
    I do?

Wow you played for ten years and you're a good singles player? If you're single can i ask to marry you?:D Well i play at several places in the NYC area with Lazybuddy and a few other friends that we've met through badminton central. We carpool, have group dinners, and just have lots of fun since we don't run out of friends to practice with. If you would like to join us you can send me a private email with your cell and instant message screen name/email and the instant messaging service and we can chitchat about badminton. We also have a friend that lives in Nassau that comes out to join us every week so maybe there's a carpooling opportunity for the both of you. I'm not so sure about going out to Stony Brook tonight. My body is kinda tired and there's pain in my lower back also i'll be playing badminton friday to sunday as well. However if i do go to Stony Brook tonight, try looking for a guy with a big red yonex bag.:p Since we're heading into the fall/winter season in a few weeks maybe you can hang out with us on a weekly basis and go indoor! Haha

11. goose

goose Regular Member

Hi, Somebody told me that Garden City Club reopened on Tue and Thu.

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Yes. I am in the Tues session again this yr. However, heard both Tue and Thurs sessions are full, which Thurs is even worse. :cool:

13. EastcoastAZN

Badminton mercenary
    Hmm now i know where you'll be

Gosh i would only go there just to see Li Ting in her cute dresses. My favorite is the pink/red candy cane t-shirt. Anyways how's the competition over there and any cute girls? I think if i joined anymore badminton clubs. My paychecks will be going directly into badminton fund. Things like food,water,cable tv,internet will have to be cut back or i'll be sending myself on a one way trip to the poor house.:crying:

14. NYPathfinder

NYPathfinder New Member

No, I'm not from Great Neck. When I played in high school we didn't play against them. We played against 2 of the Valley Streams (Central and North I think), Lynbrook (where I got my ass kicked each and every time...lol), and a couple of other schools I can't remember. I played first singles and went to conferences (every year but freshman when I played first doubles) but got knocked out after my 2nd match <to who else but the girl from Lynbrook>:crying: ! Enough about my past glories.....lol.
    Well, I did make out to SB last night and I played from like 730-930.
    I didn't get see your post about a red yonex bag so I didn't look for ya.
    Played a couple of singles games and 3-4 doubles games against some decent players which was nice. There was one other girl there but she was playing doubles so I didn't get to play her.
    East Coast, I sent you my contact info so maybe we can get together and play.:rolleyes:
    As far as playing at Garden City goes, is it closed to new players?
    That's MUCH closer to me than stony brook or jamaica so I'd definitely prefer to play there. Let me know.

15. goose

goose Regular Member

16. goose

goose Regular Member

Sorry, Mondays & Wednesdays. Not Tuesdays.

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I am not sure, but heard they kinda have enough ppl for tues and thurs. If u still interested, i can pm u the contact, to see maybe u can at least get on the waiting list.

18. goose

goose Regular Member

NYCB in Queens on Saturday (new location)

Hi,
    NYCB http://www.nycbadminton.com/ has opened a new location in Queens. I went there last Saturday. Very nice facility (6 courts, high ceiling, wood floor) and no parking problem.
    Saturday:[​IMG] in Queens @ John Bowne High School. 63-25 Main St. Flushing, NY 11367. Gym is dettached from main building. It is located next to main entrance drive way ( at your right hand side if you face the main entrance ). Gym info: wood floor, indoors. * Open hours ( 3:30pm to 7:30pm 1st day is 10 / 8 / 2005 )

19. EastcoastAZN

Badminton mercenary
    I think i know you!

Hi Goose i went there last saturday too. I took training with Chibing. So what's your real name? Will the real goose please stand up please stand up. There were a few people there for the grand opening and i knew everyone there but i'm not sure who's goose. ;)

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think I pretty much figure out who's who already. ;)