how to get in position for a smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by shawn30_k, May 13, 2005.

1. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    recently i have been suffering from this somesort of curse.i get weak lifts from my opponents but i do not seem to get into the correct position for a nice smash.but while watchin tournaments videos.i notice this pros really can get into a nice quick position quickly thats why they were able to produce such quality smash and deception.can anyone give me lots of advice.

2. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Run and get behind the birdie as fast as possible.

3. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    sounds like a foot work and anticipation problem...for footwork, do a clear smash drop drop clear drills, for anticipation you just got to play more and pay more attention...

4. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

What they said.

Seems like you're lounging around on the court or something. If the lifts are really high or even medium to some what high and you're unable to get there in time then it really means you're going to have to work on your foot work and ability to react a lot faster.

If it's flat then the best you can do is move there the fastest you can to be able to at least half snap it back.

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    This is for doubles, I presume. You have to move your "base" further back when you're the back player. Sounds like you're near midcourt and got pushed back when they lift. Most guys don't get enough angle cuz they took it with too much haste and too late even though it's technically in front of them (but directly above them). Next time when they lift, position yourself in the ready posture and move back abit more into position, and take the shuttle slightly more forward than you usually do. Adjust when needed.

Also, adopt a lower center of gravity (bend your knees with more forward weight bias) when you move about the court during rallies. That'll add to your mobility and reaction.

Another thing, get into the mentality of expecting them to lift when they do so that you're more relaxed and ready for the shot when it does happen. Most of the time players screw up a setup cuz they got impatient when they get a fat juicy lift:p.

#5 cappy75, May 14, 2005
    Last edited: May 14, 2005
  6. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    ya this applys to both doubles and singles.ive already did all the hardwork at the net already to get the week lift.its about medium high.not really much time to get backb.but i dont know i just felt my position was awkward and there was no tiem to think i i just took the shot and it hit the net.its not the first time though ive been suffering from this lately.

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    If it's doubles, the shot is not yours unless it's right in front of you when you returned to 'base'. If it's singles, you probably have to lift it since you don't even have time to think.

8. Sonex

Sonex Regular Member

Guys,

im just wondering that, is that true if we want our footsteps good, we should do some workouts for Squad, so that we can have more staminar :confused:

9. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

That's quite subjective to make such a conclusion about limited information.

If the excercise works for the particular individual, then knock yourself out. A lot of people have other methods of getting faster and more consistent foot work over long periods of time.

Assuming you're referring to squats, then that may or may not help. I'd say the effects of it are minor.

10. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    well the best thing to increase stamina is to always endure the training how hard it is.that is what helps me improve my stamina.

11. Sonex

Sonex Regular Member

I think i agreed with your statement, because i have just sign in Fitness club, then requested with the Personel Trainer to give some guidelines ect, but i found my stamina looks same only.But only feel some mucles :rolleyes: , so i have no choice and look for badminton coaches now. :eek:

12. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
  13. Sonex

Sonex Regular Member