Singapore: tournaments open to general public?

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by Beryl, May 15, 2005.

1. Beryl

Beryl Regular Member

badminton-passioned student
    Hello, I was wondering if there was such a thing as a tournament open to the general public (school kids, particularly) in Singapore.

Could you elaborate on the Cheers Badminton Age Group 2005 (30/05/2005 - 11/06/2005) for me, please?

I'd like to join a tournament as an individual, purely to gain exposure. I'm in the under-15, girls category by the way.

Ps: What are your thoughts on using a really lau pok pok 20SGD Yonex racket (oval shaped) during training? I'm thinking of wrapping (a grip) my very 1st Yonex racket (literally as heavy as a lightweight tennis racket) to use as a medicine racket to build strength.

2. daringkidz

daringkidz Regular Member

For the general public, the Cheers Badminton Age group is the only tournament that is available.

However if you are a beginner/recreational player, i wouln't advise you to join the tournament as School team players/Constituencies players/PROS will be there...If you are very suay..you will be drawn against them.....

I believe that techniques and skills are more important than a good racket..No problem playing with the heavy racket during training..it helps to train strength but if you find it heavy, you might just want to get a slight lighter and expensive racket just to help...

3. Jansenkzh

Jansenkzh Regular Member

Unless you really got the skills and talents. If you train often and think you are good you are always welcome to participate there and gain some experiences. Its not bout disgracing but to gain experiences. If you would like to have a regular training group, you might want to refer to http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22993

4. Ben_minton

Ben_minton Regular Member

Beryl,
    :) Try calling
    Boon Lay CC (closing date: 26-June)
    Tel: 62619947

Good luck!

Ben

5. daringkidz

daringkidz Regular Member

Sounds interesting but a pity I can't take part..my doubles partner believes our pairing is not good enough...:crying:

6. Beryl

Beryl Regular Member

badminton-passioned student
    Thanks lots Ben, but I don't live near Boon Lay at all!

ps: COOL nickname, btw!