Who has sponsorship

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by baddersfreakz, May 13, 2005.

1. baddersfreakz

baddersfreakz Regular Member

Secondary school
    Sponsorship

Who has sponsorship by any company as i might be thinking of writing of to some firms to see what they say about it.Any tips!!!!

2. J_M_V

J_M_V Regular Member

Sales
    I haven't had a sponsor in badminton, but we used to have some while playing baseball. They are hard to come by these days... but here's a few things I found usefull when "asking for money".

1. Remember that companies don't just give away money (that's charity and usually it isn't linked with sports...). So be prepared for a question "what's in it for us?". Best thing would be to have a written plan about what you have to offer.

2. Usually there's three reasons for companies to do sponsorship: A) they want the visibility in public so that people buy their products (unfortunately badminton is not very popular = not much visibility...), B) they want the visibility in public so that people associate positive things to their brand, e.g. kids are being sponsored easier because it is considered as good PR or C) they want to offer something back to their employees, e.g. if there's plenty of badminton players in that company then they might sponsor some badminton player and ask him/her to visit the company, coach employees etc.

3. Be realistic, don't ask too much in the beginning. Remember that all companies are constantly being approached by athletes who ask for money...

4. Easiest place to start is a company where you already know somebody (relative, friend etc.). If this known person talks about you to the correct people in that company then your chances of getting at least something are much higher.

5. If you're not looking for much then the easiest way of getting something is to ask for their products. E.g. from a sports shop you could ask for equipment, and in return you would advertize that shop for all your friends etc.

Anyway that's just my two cents. Good luck in finding sponsors!

3. baddersfreakz

Secondary school
    sposorship

thanks for your advice it will be very useful :)

4. baddersfreakz

Secondary school
    Who has sponsorship and could you tell me how you got it as it would help as in trying to get some.I've had good advice from J_M_V but does anyone have it that knows of any english or other companies that wants to tell me how to get it thanks!

5. orjanravna

orjanravna Regular Member

Student
    Next year im going to an badmintoncollege.(I'm living in Norway). We are Six players in the Class, and each student get about 900US$ for wearing Yonex. I'm just 15 so for me it seems like a quiet good partnership:)

-Ørjan

6. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    I hate to say in the UK you have to be bloody good to get sponsorship, it is very difficult and only amounts to a few rackets and some clothes if that.

You would have to be top two in your age group for several years on the way up, well know in the establishment and pushing to be the top in senior badminton with a few wins under your belt.

If you are in some kind of elite squad then you stand a better chance and the squad would pay for most of your training, travel and tournament fees etc.

You would be more realistic in expecting terms which gives you a specific discount by that manufacturer but you still have to pay for your stuff allbeit a lot less than full price with some freebies thrown in.

Better aiming for the smaller companies as folks like Yonex only go for the best to get themselves maximum exposure, they prefer instead to sponsor competitions like the Scottish Open, All England and the Nationals.

7. other

other Regular Member

Student
    as long as u get normal lessons as well then that sounds great.

8. orjanravna

orjanravna Regular Member

Student
    Yes, of course I hava normall lessons, sad but true:D

I'm really looking forward to next year, and I hope I'll be next Taufik Hidyat- Ypu shpuld look after a guy from Norway named Ørjan in Summer OL in 2010;) ;)

9. baddersfreakz

Secondary school
    What companies?

If i was to seek sponsorship then what sort of companies should i seek first.Do you think that i should try my local sport shop,that the manager ran a big tornomant that i won,or should i try a local buisness or family member that has a company. :cool:

10. raptorman

raptorman Regular Member

A local sport shop could be a good try.