User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hey, I thought you wanted to live in Vancouver?!?

Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy
    Lol... one day... one day I will be there...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Each Gym has different strengths

Bintang Advantages
    Affordable - specially for old time members.
    Easy pick up games
    Lots of waiting area
    Manageable queuing system
    Lots of waiting area
    Lots of parking

UBC Advantages
    Excellent Courts
    Nice waiting area
    water fountain!!!!
    Exercise area (to be)
    Excellent computerized queuing system
    Relatively empty at lunch, great for drills.
    Nice shower facilities
    Free lockers
    Lots of parking

GG Advantages
    Excellent courts
    Excellent showers

From a completely biased perspective I will simply go to the courts where my friends go. Otherwise going to the nearest court makes the most sense. If one is willing to drive, I like the bustle of Bintang. If money and driving were no object, I would go to UBC - the water fountain and the computerized queuing tips it for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bintang is still very crowded on week days, which is good for the sport in general, but the quality of players is poor compared to other gyms.
    Smash city has a lot of good players, and better floor, and also the system is better for now atleast, as most of the times you can play best of 3.

No body good plays singles anymore at Bintang, I remember once there used to be lot of clips on singles court. now only 1 or 2 average players play most of the time. The Bintang team players also dont show up for open gym, so the quality really low.

i dont go to ubc or ggbc that often, how is the standard there ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default players at gyms

When I visited smash city, it was relatively emplty and I did not see that many good playerrs. UBC does seem to have some good players but is not that full either.

Bintang seems to be crowded during their competition. Otherwise it does not seem that crowded.

Players seem to have dispersed to the different gyms as expected. This great for playing time, but I hope the gyms make it.

Quote Originally Posted by dummyvar
    Bintang is still very crowded on week days, which is good for the sport in general, but the quality of players is poor compared to other gyms.
    Smash city has a lot of good players, and better floor, and also the system is better for now atleast, as most of the times you can play best of 3.

No body good plays singles anymore at Bintang, I remember once there used to be lot of clips on singles court. now only 1 or 2 average players play most of the time. The Bintang team players also dont show up for open gym, so the quality really low.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dummyvar

Are you a regular at Bintang? When do you usually go? On some days there are some pretty decent players on the singles court, but the good ones are mainly playing doubles. As far as the Bintang team players not showing up for open gym, most of them leave early around 7:30pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been said, but I really think there should be some sort of inter-club league system with multiple skill levels: A division - best players, B division - good players, C division - intermediates, D division - beginners/for fun/social (give or take a division level).

I play in a inter-bar darts league, and I know the dynamic is somewhat different because bars usually host leagues because they can guarantee a certain amount of food/drink sales during matches... this probably won't be the case in a badminton league. What it does provide is a good healthy sense of local competition and club pride. How the clubs would generate additional income from the teams would be up to them...

Teams could be structured as teams of 4 - 8 coed members to allow a certain number of singles, doubles and mixed double matches. The clubs could set aside one or two courts per division per night. Divisions could be played over different nights... A/B divisions on Tuesdays, C/D divisions on Wednesdays (or something like that).

I don't know if these ideals help at all, but I know I would welcome something like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default If I belong to more than one club, I can..

play against myself and come out a winner .

I think this is a great idea. I hope the clubs do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Locomoco
    It's been said, but I really think there should be some sort of inter-club league system with multiple skill levels: A division - best players, B division - good players, C division - intermediates, D division - beginners/for fun/social (give or take a division level).

I play in a inter-bar darts league, and I know the dynamic is somewhat different because bars usually host leagues because they can guarantee a certain amount of food/drink sales during matches... this probably won't be the case in a badminton league. What it does provide is a good healthy sense of local competition and club pride. How the clubs would generate additional income from the teams would be up to them...

Teams could be structured as teams of 4 - 8 coed members to allow a certain number of singles, doubles and mixed double matches. The clubs could set aside one or two courts per division per night. Divisions could be played over different nights... A/B divisions on Tuesdays, C/D divisions on Wednesdays (or something like that).

I don't know if these ideals help at all, but I know I would welcome something like this.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

so now we have 5 dedicated gyms. APACS, Bintang, GGBC, SmashCity, UBC.

what are ppl's thoughts on the attendance? SmashCity is always full, GGBC is also quite full during weekdays. what about APACS? Bintang? UBC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 24 hr

With all these gyms around, you'd think that one of them would be 24 hrs (especially on weekends) I would soo be there in the dead middle of the night especially on weekends (friday night, saturday night)
    This is why I love SGVBC, go in dead middle of the night and u still see ppl playing (sometimes for "prizes" ) hahaha...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You probably saw me playing the POT/side bet, 1am in the morning.

We're so lucky to be blessed with 24hr SGVBC.

Let's see if other clubs will step up and match the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by drowsysmurf
    With all these gyms around, you'd think that one of them would be 24 hrs (especially on weekends) I would soo be there in the dead middle of the night especially on weekends (friday night, saturday night)
    This is why I love SGVBC, go in dead middle of the night and u still see ppl playing (sometimes for "prizes" ) hahaha...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Viper2005
    You probably saw me playing the POT/side bet, 1am in the morning.

We're so lucky to be blessed with 24hr SGVBC.

Let's see if other clubs will step up and match the competition.
    I've only been to SGVBC like 4x I just know what's going on in there cuz i have a friend down in socal that goes often. as for the bet, i've only heard it once in the 4 times i was there and yes it was later in the night and if i was there i wouldn't join it cuz i'll get my butt kicked poor badminton player with poor footwork...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Well, after looking back and after nearly 2 yrs....

...since this thread was started, plus the news of additional clubs opening up, all i've got to say is, the question in the thread's title has been answered: NorCal/SF Bay area has EXCEEDED all expectations and you guys have, literally, FILLED them all...and definitely you guys up north have surpassed us, in the SoCal area, with the no. of available badminton clubs..GREAT JOB!!
    Last edited by ctjcad; 03-15-2007 at 12:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we still need that 24 hour badminton gym in norcal tho socal surpasses in that area

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad
    ...since this thread was started, plus the news of additional clubs opening up, all i've got to say is, the question in the thread's title has been answered: NorCal/SF Bay area has EXCEEDED all expectations and you guys have, literally, FILLED them all...and definitely you guys up north have surpassed us, in the SoCal area, with the no. of available badminton clubs..GREAT JOB!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hmmm..not bad at all..

Quote Originally Posted by drowsysmurf
    we still need that 24 hour badminton gym in norcal tho socal surpasses in that area
    ..personally, i think having more *full-time* badminton clubs is an advantage as well, as there are more viable options for players to choose and play ..So to "combat" the lack of *full-time* badminton clubs in SoCal, i think one of the reason for the 24 hr. badminton club, in SoCal(SGVBC) is because frankly, it is one of only, 2 or 3 *full-time* badminton clubs serving the SoCal community(the other 2 clubs, i don't think they offer 24-hr service)..Even then, it can get pretty packed/booked on certain days of the week...Imagine if it doesn't open its doors for 24 hrs..
    I'm not too sure abt the situation up in NorCal, but we do have quite a lot of public/recreational/part-time facilities/gyms which allow badminton activities..
    Last edited by ctjcad; 03-15-2007 at 01:27 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by felisha
    wow, demand in the bay area must really be high coz where i live in south san francisco, somebody is also planning to open one soon. at least that's what i heard from my parents. no idea how many courts though.
    wow. another one?

that's cool. when we do have 7 gyms, that will be really crazy if we can fill them all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be nice if there is one in the east bay tri-valley area

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by felisha
    wow, demand in the bay area must really be high coz where i live in south san francisco, somebody is also planning to open one soon. at least that's what i heard from my parents. no idea how many courts though.
    Interesting news, can you ask them the name/location? I work in SSF, so... time to duck out during lunchtime!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast