Wong Mew Choo ( 黄妙珠 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by studsgaard, May 17, 2005.

1. studsgaard

studsgaard Regular Member

student
    What do you guys think abourt the young Wong Mew Choo.?
    I personally think that she is very good, and very athletic.

Regards Niels.

Attached Files:

2. 古健杰很厉害

Yes, she is the best woman single in malaysia so far...

3. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

she's a real warrior !!!!! i saw her match against Jao jie, she fought so hard !! never let one point and overall in the end of the match she fought for every point .. she was amazing !! :D

4. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    well i thnk she is really a bright prospect for the future but seh really needs to work very hard to get into the top 5 because i feel her attacking play was not good enough.but overall i really like her playing style..

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the now quite famous Chinese coach Li Mao recently join the Malaysian coaching staff as a men's single coach. under him, he has 5 men singles players and one women singles player, Wong Mew Choo. when asked why he has a lady under him when he is supposed to the men's single coach, he says he specifically picked Wong because he thinks she has a lot of potential.

that's says a lot about what Wong can do. and we should keep an eye out for this lady as Li Mao can work wonders on players under him.

i watched the match between Wong and Hirose in the SC. i was more impressed by Hirose than by Wong though. comparatively, Wong has a more passive style who react and plays in Hirose's pace throughout the match. however, she gets credit for never giving up despite losing the first game.

6. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    translation: it is more impressive to be able to innitiate the offensive. players who are 'defensive' or more accurately play to the tune and pace set by the opponent are often seen as less 'talented' or 'able'.

but the ability to follow opponents pace is also a virtue in winning matches. but just less exciting to watch

7. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Oh Miew Choo !

Li Mau always joke with Miew Choo, he once told Meiw Choo that she has the 80 year old knees and 6 year old brain :D since Miew Choo always have knees problem and not tricky enough on court.
    Miew Choo did admit she is too honest on court, no tricks under her sleeve. I think it's good that Miew Choo is under Li Mau instead of Misbun as she is already a worrior so what she need is an actual skill so she doesn't just run and chase around on court reacting to opponent shots. It's time she turn the table around and makes her opponent guess and run.
    I think 2006 will be the break thru year for Miew Choo so Xingfang, watch up ... here come Miew Choo....ooooo. Malaysia boleh.

8. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Miew Choo in World Championship

Wong Miew Choo qualified for World Championship, good luck.

9. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    i think that indonesia's ratnasari has more potential... and she's only 18! i find that mew choo is sometimes lazy, and she just settles for just a lunge (although she can do a split! :eek: ) instead of taking steps forward.

but all said, i think if trained properly, mewchoo and ratnasari can take on the chinese, i have my doubts on the japanese though...

just my thoughts.

10. cheekygen

cheekygen Regular Member

Mew Choo had an extraordinary fitness capacity (gifted) and mental strenght compared to other Malaysian women players. She also believes in herself that she is as good as the world class players..... base on the reinforcement, encouragement, feedback and support from various coaches that she has the potential to do so. However, the constant changing coaches effected her game and she is the kind of player who listen to everything the coach says. When she followed Misbun, her style changed to mostly defensive and rally... use her fitness to wear her opponent down. In order to do that, her trainning is really "superb quantity" to maintain that kind of physical fitness to sustain her in court. The pro, she got SEA games champion, the con, she got injured in both her knees, ankle and elbow. It's such a waste because she injured at the peak of her form and forced her to rest for 8 months but she made a progressive comeback early this year and regaining her form.

When we watch a player on a court, the way they behave and act reveal much about a person's personality. Mew Choo is a very straightforward and honest person and the traits reflected in her game as well. In contrast, Chong Wei is the kind of player who use deception, adaptive and fast minded player which reflected his personality of "street smart" intelligence (gifted) in his game. If Mew Choo have Chong Wei's "street smart" ability, no doubt she would be in par with the chinese players because she has a heart of a champion. Currently, she is the only senior single player left in the squad.... therefore, wong tat ming is employed as her personal coach but the program given is by Li Mao.....a heavy responsibility for her to lead the junior players for a higher standard and i believe given time, Mew Choo could achieve more in her badminton career but she got to really take care of her injuries. Injury is every player's nightmare..... :eek: .... Congratulation for her qualification to the World Championship! :)

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    While they have demonstrated talent and championship potential, both Mew Choo and Francisca Haris (of Indonesia) look relatively 'fragile', compared with Eriko Hirose. Also, unlike Hirose, the other two girls do not seem to possess the 'killer' instinct. Tough beaten by Haris in the Sudirman Cup, I feel young Camilla Sorensen (Tine Rasmussen's replacement) of Denmark has greater potential but not as strong as Hirose for the time being.

Of course it doesn't mean that because of these shortcomings the Malaysian and Indonesian girls can't win for they have other compensating attributes, of which the most illuminating is their 'never-say-die" attitude and mental strength. But its takes a great toll on their physical fitness to keep pace with a superiorly fit opponent such as Hiroshe.

In that sense, if Hiroshe should improve further, both Mew Choo and Hari will have to double up or left behind. ;)

12. cheekygen

cheekygen Regular Member

13. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Nice analysis cheekygen :D ... makes oneself think on-court!

-dave

14. the_way

the_way Regular Member

with her style of play...i think she cant beat the top women badminton players....

she doesnt haf 'crafty' play....furthermore her smash is directed to the middle of the court....u can hardly see her use dropshot...and its more hardly to see her use crosscourt drop or smash....she badly needs to improve on this if she wants to beat the top players.....

her stamina is outstanding...however...she has to bear in mind...if she plays in an open tournament....she cant afford to play defensive and stamina game in each an every game....she will run out of steam easily...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

if she improve on all these areas....no doubt...she will be a big threat to chinese ladies

15. studsgaard

studsgaard Regular Member

student
    I also think that her running is impressive.You can't say the same about Yao Jie:eek: she is in very bad shape. in the match against Wong Mew Choo, the thing she won at. was the cross drop..!

16. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

I watched the match too (thanks to the videosharing subforum), I noticed that often when Wong had to return Hirose's clears, she often had to go further back whereas when Hirose was returning Wong's clears, she was definitely more forward most of the time.

In any event, the fact that Hirose could return the shots earlier than Wong meant that Wong had to do a lot of running in that match.

Still, Wong's speed and movement is definitely attractive to watch.

17. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    I'm not really sure, but based on the game i saw of horose vs mew choo, i feel that mew choo has more potential... during the game, it can be seen that mew choo was trying different things, experimenting with her game. and perhaps, i see a hint of tiredness/fatigue, after all she has been playing mixed too.

hirose on the other hand, seems quite "robotic" she just played the same way throughout, its as if she has been drilled on this game constantly.

fransiska shows the most potential, but whether she can convert will really depend on whether indo is willing to train/invest in her. she's a born fighter. we've seen her rally game, attacking game, defensive. she got the whole package! but master of none. reminds me of her coach! hehe.

just my two cents

18. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    You mixed her up with Wong Pei Tty.

19. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    I'm wondering why the 19-year-old Sutheaswari's world ranking(48th) is higher than Wong Mew Choo's (72th)

20. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c

mew choo just came back from an injury......... so her drop in rankings is expected

8man