Q: Common Grommet Sizes, Flying Clamp, Cheap String.

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Quasimodo, May 17, 2005.

1. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

Some quick questions for you stringing experts: Is there a most common grommet size? From what I've seen there are 4 generic sizes (all in mm): 2.1x9, 2.1x13, 2.6x6 and 2.6x8. Any of them more common than others? Or, do Yonex use different ones than other brands, for instance? The reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking of stocking up, but I'd rather than waste money stocking up on a size that hardly any racquets use it.

Also, have anyone used a Hi-Qua flying clamp? How does it compare to Yonex or Alpha?

One last question, have anyone used the string from a Hi-Qua B-696 500m reel? It seems very economical for routine stringing jobs (e.g., PE badminton racquets, loaner club racquets, etc.), but how good is it in terms of durability and playability? Obviously, I don't expect it to feel like the BG-85, but is it acceptable for casual players? If it's not acceptable, can you suggest an alternative cheap string preferably one that's available in 200m+ reels?

Thanks.

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    For HQ gromments, I only ordered A and C (plz refer to HQ chart), as they are used much more often than the other 2. ;)

3. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

Excellent. :) Just curious, which size do Yonex racquets use more?

Thanks.

4. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

Actually, as far as the grommets go---I don't know why I failed to notice this---I can always clip longer grommets to make them shorter, no? So, using Hi-Qua's chart, I can order the C and D and just clip them if necessary. Will this work or is it flawed logic?

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    You can do that, but make sure smoothen the cutting surface afterward. The reason I ordered A instead of D, is because A is much more commonly used. The only spot I think to use D, is around throat area. ;)