User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Howard Bach & Tony Gunawan-

12/26/2005 Howard Bach & Tony Gunawan - 2005 Los Angeles Sports Council Greatest Olympic Sports Moment Award
    by USA Badminton

The Los Angeles Sports Council (http://www.lasports.org) announced on December 11, 2005 live on KCAL-TV (Channel 9, Los Angeles, CA) that the winner of the fan voting for the Olympic Sports category of the Greatest Sports Moments of 2005 is:

Team USA Wins First-Ever Badminton Gold - At the 2005 World Badminton Championships, the American team of Tony Gunawan and Howard Bach won a surprise gold medal in men's doubles, the first-ever won by the U.S. in world championship at the Arrowhead Pond (August 21).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default UPCOMING Event at OCBC

2006 USA Badminton National Training Fund Trials
    2/3/2006 - 2/5/2006
    Orange County Badminton Club, Orange, CA
    DEADLINE: 1/20/2006

Info on the Official Entry Form, please go to www.ocbadmintonclub.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Who do you think will grab the money for this year NTF trials for MS, WS, MD, WD, MX

Any predictions for who will grab the USAB NTF Trials for all the events from
    MS, WS, MD, WD and MX ?

Possible players in the draw :

MS : Raju Rai, Eric Go, Ronald Sou, Howard Shu, Arnold Setiadi, Andrew Todt, Bartolo Chen, Christopher Lun , anymore .........
    WS : Eva Lee, Jamie Subandhi, Joanne Chen, Laurent Todt, Thuy Hoang, Melinda K, Jennifer Coleman, SHannon Pohl (maybe), Priscilla Lun
    MD : Roland Sou & Eric Go, Bob Malaythong & Raju Rai, Tony G & Howard Bach, Arnold Setiadi & Chris Lun (?), Andrew Todt & Partner (?), Jack Shu & Steven Wong, Daniel Gouw & Partner (?)
    MX : Bob Malaythong & May Makalangkiri, Howard Bach & Eva Lee (?), Jennifer Coleman & Partner (?)

Any one else knows who else are coming ???

My predictions :
    MS : Raju Rai
    WS : Jamie Subandhi
    MD : Howard Bach & Tony G (if they play) If not Bob M & Raju Rai
    MX : Bob M & May Makalangkiri

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default News Update Re : NTF Trial

New pairings:

MD
    Howard Bach & Bob Malaythong
    Raju Rai & Eric Go
    Jack Shu & Steven Wong
    Plus others

MIX
    Howard Bach & Jennifer Coleman
    Bob Malaythong & May Mangkalangkiri
    Jack Shu & Priscilla Lun
    Andrew Todt & Laurent Todt
    Nicholas & Samantha Jinadasa
    ETC ETC

HOW COME UP TO NOW NO ONE GIVE / PROVIDE THEIR PREDICTIONS ???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm...

MS - Raju Rai
    WS - Eva Lee
    MD - Howard Bach/Bob Malaythong
    WD - Eva Lee/May Mangkalakiri
    XD - May Mangkalakiri/Bob Malaythong

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by harimau
    HOW COME UP TO NOW NO ONE GIVE / PROVIDE THEIR PREDICTIONS ???
    #1: you covered everyone.

#2: predictions are just that. Why do we need to predict?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    #1: you covered everyone.

#2: predictions are just that. Why do we need to predict?
    Well who knows ?? Right .... like maybe the re-emerging of Trisna and June Hu for the mixed double contenders, or Alex Liang for MS ..... or maybe Elie Wu for WS or Elie Wu & Shannon Hsu for WD ......

Or perhap other good players who have never tried out suddenly re-surface to take on the challenge ..... the more the merrier ....

I just wish more and more badminton players can come out and support the sport especially in a USA Badminton sanctioned event so that years after years we dont see the eroding number of players coming out for the trial.

When you look at the number of recent participants to the US Adult Nationals, NTF Trial events, they have been rather discouraging and disheartening. I mean we all talk the talk of trying to promote the sport of badminton in the US; but do we walk the talk !!! I know for a fact that they are lots of excellent players in the West Coast region (region 5) esp in SGVBC and perhaps Nor Cal clubs, but unless they come out to support these natioanl events, then the sport will really go no where !!! And how can we present the sport to the corporate America to get sponsorship if the National event only drawing about 40 players or 60 maximum for all 5 events ??? Think about it !!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well who knows ?? Right .... like maybe the re-emerging of Trisna and June Hu for the mixed double contenders, or Alex Liang for MS ..... or maybe Elie Wu for WS or Elie Wu & Shannon Hsu for WD ......
    I spoke with Alex (he's my coach) yesterday and his stance is similar to Trisna, Jun and Grace and the other players of their caliber: they don't have the time to train to compete at that level. They may play a tourney once in a while but to continuously play and train for every tournament, they just cannot devote that time. They've had their glory and it's time to move on (so to speak). So the "re-emerging players" (as you call it, good name) while only re-emerge once in a while or in Alex's case, once in a blue moon when I plead him to play a tourney with me.

Or perhap other good players who have never tried out suddenly re-surface to take on the challenge ..... the more the merrier ....
    This is the best possibility as in the 6 months I've been at SGVBC I've seen a few Junior Nationals improve in leaps and bounds. Also some young 20 somethings improve at a tremendous rate too. In a year or two, it'll be interesting to see if they can compete.

I just wish more and more badminton players can come out and support the sport especially in a USA Badminton sanctioned event so that years after years we dont see the eroding number of players coming out for the trial.
    Of course, we all wish that.

I mean we all talk the talk of trying to promote the sport of badminton in the US; but do we walk the talk !!! I know for a fact that they are lots of excellent players in the West Coast region (region 5) esp in SGVBC and perhaps Nor Cal clubs, but unless they come out to support these natioanl events, then the sport will really go no where !!!
    Again, playing in tourneys is very time consuming, not all people can get out there. I know some 40 somethings that play a very decent game and ask them about playing in the U.S. Open or other tourneys and they all say, too much time. They don't have the time. It's very hard to get out there.

And how can we present the sport to the corporate America to get sponsorship if the National event only drawing about 40 players or 60 maximum for all 5 events ??? Think about it !!
    Easy, go and ask.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    I spoke with Alex (he's my coach) yesterday and his stance is similar to Trisna, Jun and Grace and the other players of their caliber: they don't have the time to train to compete at that level. They may play a tourney once in a while but to continuously play and train for every tournament, they just cannot devote that time. They've had their glory and it's time to move on (so to speak). So the "re-emerging players" (as you call it, good name) while only re-emerge once in a while or in Alex's case, once in a blue moon when I plead him to play a tourney with me.

I understand that fact too but it depends on what is the motivation to play now. If their motivation to play is to win then of course they have to train hard in order to give him/herself a decent chance to win. But i think with their skills, techniques plus experience most of our emerging junior players will still be unable to tackle them. However, it will be an excellent venue for the juniors to get some kind of experience and sparring/playing with different types and caliber players. As it is now, there is not alot of national level players in the circuit. Did you see the player list i put out at the beginning of this thread ? It will be kind of providing an evaluation for the juniors whether or not they have arrived.

This is the best possibility as in the 6 months I've been at SGVBC I've seen a few Junior Nationals improve in leaps and bounds. Also some young 20 somethings improve at a tremendous rate too. In a year or two, it'll be interesting to see if they can compete.

Of course, they have trained hard and improved a lot too. But then they found no one to test their skills with. All they have now are either the current national players which they still are behind 1 - 2 level or they peer groups. So this emerging juniors do not have the opportunity to play with different players enough to prepare them for the future.
    Again, playing in tourneys is very time consuming, not all people can get out there. I know some 40 somethings that play a very decent game and ask them about playing in the U.S. Open or other tourneys and they all say, too much time. They don't have the time. It's very hard to get out there.

Easy, go and ask.
    Which corporations would want to sponsor an event with such a small spectator bases ? I tried Pizza Hut before they would not even bother. Maybe some smaller businesses would .... but that is not our main target !! We want to go mainstream ..... like NIke, Reebok, Adidas, Billabong, etc etc who might be interested in sports pertinent wears or accessories.
    Just my 2 cents.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We want to go mainstream ..... like NIke, Reebok, Adidas, Billabong, etc etc who might be interested in sports pertinent wears or accessories.
    Just my 2 cents.
    I agree, and Nike is the key.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default COACHING CLINIC for High School Coaches, Atheletic Directors, School Administrators

Sorry this is kind of a short notice !! But this info has been available in OCBC website since the beginning of the year (www.ocbadmintonclub.com). Here is the offer :
    What : FREE COACHING CLINIC

Who : Sponsored by YONEX, K&D Graphics, OCBC and BEBE's CAFE
    Special thanks to SCBA

When : Jan 28, 06 From : 9:00 am - 2:30pm (8:30 am check in)

Where : OCBC
    1432 N Main St, Orange, CA 92867
    Phone : 714-639-6222

Free luncheon Provided

After that, Exhibition by world champions and Top Players

HS Coaches are encourage to sign up. Seat are limited so hurry up !!!
    For official sign up form, please go to www.ocbadmintonclub.com.
    Last edited by harimau; 01-26-2006 at 10:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default World Champions Exhibition Match

After the COaching Clinic, an Exhibition by world champions and other US national Players will take place in OCBC at around 2:30pm. For those baddicts or badminton fans around So CAL who would like to experience real world class badminton first hand, you guys are welcome to come and watch the real things. This ain't back yard stuff ......

Come one come all ...... the thrill is free ...... bring all your friends .....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Clinic

EVen though it did not draw a huge turn out of high school coaches from the Southern Section, the clinic was so productive and knowledgeable even for people like myself and others who have been playing badminton for years. There were so many new tips being offered by the big names like Howard Bach, Tony Gunawan, Halim Haryanto, and Bob Malaythong.

There must be about 13 coaches from various High Schools like Bolsa Grande, La Quinta, Cypress, Redland HIgh School, Colton HS, Pioneer Middle School, Mira Costa HS Etc. We all learned so much in a 3 short hour of training. It started out from proper warm up procedures, strecthing, basic grips, hitting position, different strokes, foot works, and single & double & Mix double formation and strategies. And then how to do multi-birds feeding.

We must thank the collaboration between Yonex and OCBC, its coaches for hosting such an excellent event. We hope they will continue doing it next year too.

To top it all, Bebe's Cafe sponsored the luncheon for all participants of the clinic plus Yonex gave out gift bags to all of us......

What an excellent way to spend a Saturday morning ........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There must be about 13 coaches from various High Schools like Bolsa Grande, La Quinta, Cypress, Redland HIgh School, Colton HS, Pioneer Middle School, Mira Costa HS Etc. We all learned so much in a 3 short hour of training. It started out from proper warm up procedures, strecthing, basic grips, hitting position, different strokes, foot works, and single & double & Mix double formation and strategies. And then how to do multi-birds feeding.
    Hurray, my coach actually went to the clinic. That's good news since the school is need of better training.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SaintDragon
    Hurray, my coach actually went to the clinic. That's good news since the school is need of better training.
    Is your coach name Mike something ?
    I played against him ....He was an old timers; i think he played in the A rank tournament in the 70's. He still has the strokes but since he has not been playing for more than 10 years......he lacks the stamina and the touch or consistencies. But he knows how to play the game .... He should know how to teach you guys the proper techniques. You guys are lucky ..!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The NTF FInal OUTCOME !!!

MS - Raju Rai
    WS - Eva Lee
    MD - Howard Bach/Eric Go
    XD - May Makalangkiri/Bob Malaythong

Runner ups :
    MS : Eric Go
    MD : Bob Malaythong & Raju Rai
    WD : Jamie Subandhi & Jennifer Coleman
    MX : Bob Malaythong & May Makalangkiri

Congratulations to all winners & the runner ups !!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MS - Raju Rai
    WS - Eva Lee
    MD - Howard Bach/Eric Go
    XD - May Makalangkiri/Bob Malaythong

Runner ups :
    MS : Eric Go
    MD : Bob Malaythong & Raju Rai
    WD : Jamie Subandhi & Jennifer Coleman
    MX : Bob Malaythong & May Makalangkiri

Congratulations to all winners & the runner ups !!!!
    Interesting... Malaythong/Makalangkiri beat Malaythong/Makalangkiri in the finals?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast