Commenting on opponents?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by raptorman, May 18, 2005.

1. raptorman

raptorman Regular Member

Are opponents allowed to make (most of time denigratory) comments about my partner (or me) during the game? Most of time when it happens it motivates me to play better, but my partner's level of play really suffers from it :(

2. Azwok

Azwok Regular Member

Student
    If I was playing a serious match in a tournament or of sorts and someone made a derogartory comment about my game or my partners I would be seriously annoyed and probably tell them to shut it! (Knowing me, if somebody did actually say something, i'd go ballistic and start cursing, not just tell them to shut it (glad it's never happened:) )).

If i'm just down the gym on a saturday messing about with some friends and having some "grudge" matches for a bit of fun, then I wouldn't mind, obviously.

Who? When? Where? were these people making these comments to you?

Azwok.

3. raptorman

raptorman Regular Member

I'm talking about tournaments. Comments like "is it because you're blonde that you're so bad",...

4. Azwok

Azwok Regular Member

Student
    Dear god!:eek:
    So in the midst of a match in a tournament they are saying things like "is it because you're blonde that you're so bad"?!?!?!?!?!?
    I'm pretty sure they arn't allowed to make comments like that, that's completely ridiculous. Next time they do you should tell the umpire, judge, or the guy scoring the match. For me that would be reason enough to start a fight or walk out of the tournament.

Someone else please tell me that i'm not the only one who thinks like this.
    Raptor, what would you normally do?

Azwok.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That sort of stuff is a personal insult.

I'd tell the tournament referee and ask for an umpire. I'm pretty sure in an international tournament a player saying such things would get warnings and get penalised.

It's quite likely that such a person will shut up, and then bring it out during a vital moment in a match e.g. 13-13. In that case, you have to be confident that your prediction was correct, be psychologically prepared, get the tournament referee and use the opportunity to place the psychological pressure back on them.

You may want to speak to the tournament referee before the games and ask them the options(i.e. impartial umpire, scope for warnings etc) if this problem turns up.

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I second that... there's a reason why players are not allowed to speak to one another during their games. In all IBF-sanctioned tournaments, players can only address issues directly with the umpire and other officials. Of course, there are more than one way to put-off ones opponents:D.

7. Super~ME!

Super~ME! Regular Member

student
    ...yeah...my partner has a real bad habit of making comments when we're playing. he does it most of the time, so i kinda get used to it. but sometimes he'll just keep going and it'll really bug me and screw up my game...like...just pi$$es:mad: me off cause i try to be nice to people when we're playing and not discourage them unless they're like the kinda people who disrespect badminton. and when i tell him to stop, he gets all mad and spazes. the worst is when we're playing people who aren't that good, and then it starts to get really rude. i've talked to him before, and he stops. but then after a week or so...he's back at it. the weird thing is...when i tell him it screws me up...he says it helps him relax and concentrate better:confused: ...sometimes, i just use it as something to help me smash and be on the offence. it would be really stupid and ironic if he was just doing that to help me:rolleyes:

8. raptorman

raptorman Regular Member

I'm glad to hear it's not allowed, next time I'll talk to the tournement direction.

9. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Damn,

I do that all the time in our club. It's part of the enjoyment of the game ;)

However it is strictly not allowed in an official tournament or leagues

10. Jan_BE

Jan_BE Regular Member

IT Support Desk
    You should really do that. Most belgian referee's i know (thats quite a few) would never tollerate that kind of behaviour.

Can I ask during what tournament this happend (and where you play :D )

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I've only seen this behaviour in school kids (young teenagers).

I go to my old school occasionally to coach. Not everyone knows me there, and sometimes an arrogant pair will walk on court making loud comments about how they are going to trash us (I always choose the weakest partner).

Normally at school, I play very gently to get the kids involved in the rally. These times it's different. I turn to my partner, who looks like a frightened rabbit at this stage, and whisper to him:

"We're going to wipe the floor with them"​

This always gets a big grin from my partner :D Then I destroy the arrogant pair, making them look as silly as possible as they fail to reach my shots.

Next time they come, their attitude is better :)

Shame somebody didn't do this to these "tournament players", when they were younger :rolleyes: Rude players deserve to be humiliated.

12. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Problem is that juniors nowdays seem more arrogant the better their skill level

13. raptorman

raptorman Regular Member

It was at a recreational (sp?) tournament, so there was no referee. I play in Ghent, but I'm not a competition player yet (everyone tries to convince me to start playing competition, but I'm not sure what to do lol)

14. raptorman

raptorman Regular Member

My coach does the same :D too bad I wasn't playing with him :(