Black Knight: Ghost PC

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by badm addict, May 18, 2005.

1. badm addict

badm addict Regular Member

Student
    I've been hearing about Black Knight's latest racket "Ghost PC." Its sapposed ta b 75 grams?! Has any1 else heard anything?:confused:

2. mnewbie

mnewbie New Member

3. prothobs

prothobs Regular Member

Student
    Ya there are three: The feather, ghost and photon (in order of price... least to most). They are all quite nice and all weigh 75g. I believe the feather is the longest?

4. mnewbie

mnewbie New Member

Racquet Length

Ya the feather is 68 cm, the photon and ghost pc are both 68cm. Nice racquets but a little bit on the expensive side or else i'd buy the photon or the ghost:eek:

5. MikeD

MikeD Regular Member

Landscaper During Summer
    New Hyperlight Racquets.

The new BK hyperlight racquets, are in my mind, an expensive joke. Having tested them all.. each for maybe an hour, I have to say BK is losing their marbles. Honestly, you can get little to no power from these racquets, I would not recommend it for doubles or singles, however maybe for the girl at the net in mixed. Other than that, I would recommend some of their less expensive, and better IMO, models. Any of the Powerchannel series is a perfect example. The newest racquet outside of the hyperlights, the C2C is blackknights shinning achivement.

Hope this helped.

6. mnewbie

mnewbie New Member

Really?

Really? Wow I was under the misconception that they generated a lot of power.Thanks for clearing that up Mike before I could anymore damage.sorry for the mis-information:eek:

7. MikeD

MikeD Regular Member

Landscaper During Summer
    NP, just remember, don't believe what you read. BK is a company trying to sell their goods, and one of the only ways they can compete with yonex is to look better than them. Even if they tell a bit of a fib to do so. The concept behind the Ghost, Phonton, or FeatherLite was a good idea, however they just don't have the weight behind them to produce any power. Any person with grade 11 physics should easily be able to connect the dots. The less the racquet weighs, the less power can be transfered for the same swing speed as a heavier racquet.

8. prothobs

prothobs Regular Member

Student
    Don't tell anyone that a racquet is bad on pure personal preference. I know a couple of people that use those racquets and generate a lot of power, that's their game. I, like you, don't like lighter racquets (personal preference) but that doesn't mean they are worse at smashing. They don't have as much momentum but you can swing them faster with less effort. You just end up generating power in a different way. I use a power channel v60 and i dont peticularly like it... I like the photon/ghost/feather more.

cheers

9. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    I know a guy in BC who now has a shredded shoulder from trying to play with these ultra-light raquets.

I demoed a few of these - didn't like any of them at all. However a few guys at my club did like them from a defensive point of few in doubles (Easy to control and lighting fast for smash return)

If you have a very short, mostly wrist-based swing, and play more of touch game these are the raquets for are for you.

Power mongers with a big swing will likely be very frustrated with them.

10. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

At the KTR tourney at my school, I actually demoed the these ultra light series. Actually it is the second time around for me testing them. Here's my take:

Personally I owned a Black Knight PC 68, and AT500, MP77 and Ti 7 (only have the PC68 and AT500 now). Most people who know me will consider me to have an above average smash so hopefully I can make a valid point here:

My technique is actually based on high swing speed, and I generally swing fast regardless of whether it has a high swing weight like AT500, or low swing weight like Ti 7. I don't actually have formal training at smashing technique, so what I do might not be correct, be anyhow, I make an action very smiliar to pitching a baseball: most of the whipping speed comes from my forearm muscles, and wrist snap at the end.

Now, back to the rackets: I actually smash just as hard, if not harder for these ultra light rackets. I've been through head light and head heavy rackets, so I have no problem with a low swing weight. In my opinion, those who think power can only come from heavy rackets like MP77, should watch advanced players using ultra low weight rackets to smash(though it really only applies in the KTR tournement; normally people using low weight rackets are control players). It really is based on technique. There might be an optimal racket weight for each individual, and no one says you have to use a low weight racket. But don't blame the racket if you can't generate power; how effective the racket is depends on the user. There are benefits to using low weight rackets.

At this point I'll make a few distinctions among the 3 models they have:
    The Ghost is the standard 67cm isometric version with power channel frame, whereas the Feather is a 68cm oval frame, and the Photon is similar to the Ghost with the VibraPlate(supposedly it stabilizes the racket on off-center shots). I've found that the Feather offers better control and power than both Ghost and Photon. The difference in power is slight, but control seems to be much better(might be a personal preference). For comparison between Photon and Ghost, I've found that the Photon responded better; I'm not sure if I actually had less mishits with the Photon or if the VibraPlate actually improved the shot, but I definitely had mishits with the Ghost. It could be just because I'm used to the 68cm length since I use PC68 mainly.