Backhand serving enquiries

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Blitz, Nov 15, 2001.

1. Blitz

Blitz Regular Member

Daydreaming
    Hi all,

Ok extracted from the Badminton Laws:

9.1.5 the whole shuttle shall be below the server's waist at the instant of being hit by the server's racket;

From what I have observed from the games that I've often seen from video tapes, international players dun seem to serve with their shuttles or racket head BELOW their waist.... so I'm a bit confused here.

So do I actually misinterpret this line?

Thanks!

2. Steve willis

Steve willis Regular Member

Badninton coach/fitness trainer
    Its hard to define a mans waist so the bottom of the ribgage is the general rule of thumb.so thats why they may look to be serving a little high above the waist

3. Erik

Erik Guest

The definition of "waist" for the purpose of Badminton Law is as
    follows: "An imaginary line round the body, level with the lowest
    part of the server"s bottom rib". The whole of the shuttle has to
    be below this line at the instant of being hit. There is no law which says that the rackethead must be below the waist. At the instant of hitting, the whole of the rackethead must be discernibly below the whole of the server"s hand holding the racket. Since this is extremely difficult to see, This is the only Law where the benefit of the doubt is with court official
    and not with the player, hence the word "discernibly".
    Where the server holds his hand, is his own business.

Erik

4. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Yeah! That si teh whole Idea doubles players prefer to leave their shirts out! It is a standard tech and it is very difficult to find out where the waist is!

Generally it is easy to denounce the waist as the point where u wear ur pant! but then.. u can never find out where the waist is if ur shirt is out and u haev to wear shuttle shorts which are small!

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    "There is no law which says that the rackethead must be below the waist. "

True but can be inferred if the shuttle has to be struck below the waist.

6. Erik

Erik Guest

I am afraid you are mistaken Cheung. I have seen many services where the server's wrist is about level with the chin with the racket pointing downwards at a very steep angle. This leaves part of the rackethead well above the server's waist with the shuttle still being hit from below the waist. However, I must say that I haven't seen this way of execution for quite some time now. It
    has probably been replaced by a more effective type of backhand
    service.

Erik

7. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    For your information, doubles player Rikke Olsen of Denmark serves like this.

8. Erik

Erik Guest

I have seen Rikke serve many times over the years and I know that she takes up her service position in that manner. However,rather
    than maintaining the steep angle throughout the entire service
    movement, once her service has started, she levels the racket very quickly. Rikke's service is very unique and highly effective.

Erik

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Ahh, I see. There may be part of the racquet head above the waist though not a major proportion.

Doesn't Gao Lin start off with the racquet almost vertical?
    On impact, the shaft of the racquet takes up a more horizontal position.

10. Erik

Erik Guest

I think you are right, Cheung. Gao Lin serves in that manner indeed. Mind, in terms af Law, there is no relation at all between waist and rackethead. I does not matter how large a portion of the rackethead is above or below the waist. I tis only important that the shuttle is below the waist at the instant of being hit. The only rule relating to height of the rackethead is that it must be below the server"s hand at the instant of hitting, Where the hand is, nobody cares! Of course, since the shuttle has to be below the waist, it is inevitable that at least a part of the rackethead will automatically below the waist. But you won't find any rule saying that it has to be.

Erik