Olympic Stars & Leaders Converge in Singapore

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Loh, May 18, 2005.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Citizens and BFers of the World, a warm Welcome to tiny Singapore from 5-9 July! Singapore's present physical facilties may not be able to stage the Olympic Games, or the Asian Games for that matter, but with our well-oiled infrastructure, including the mass media, we can certainly play a part in the Olympic cause.

You may not be able to locate us on the world map but come July, the TV will do it for you. For Singapore has won the honour and privilege of hosting the International Olympic Committee Session at the Raffles City Convention Centre which will decide whether London, Madrid, Moscow, New York or Paris will be the lucky city to organize the Summer Olympics in 2012!

A billion TV viewers will be shown an unprecedented 3-minute tourism clip on Singapore and media experts said this seemingly relatively short worldwide bonanza is probably worth more than (S$2 million) the entire year's publicity campaign by the Singapore Tourism Board. It is expected that the 5,000 visitors, comprising members of international sports federations and 1,500 journalists, will contribute at least S$40 million to our economy for the five-day event. Our government will probably spend around S$3.5 million to host it.

A feast of exciting events concocted and performed by our most talented will be presented and it is expected that every single news bulletin in the world will mention the IOC meeting here. In particular, this session will attract worldwide attention as the 117 IOC members will also review the 28 sports to be included in Olympics 2012.

Of the VIPs coming to town, Spain, France and England are expected to be represented by their top government leaders to 'sell' their packages and programmes. The Queen of Spain will also grace the occasion and this may tilt the balance in Spain's favour as the 2012 Olympic host country. Be sure that the other worthy contenders are not giving in the fight so easily in perhaps one of the most exciting races ever as Olympic host.

It would appear that the football stars of Spain, England and France may show up as well to add support to their country's bid. So Singapore may be able to see football superstars Raul Gonzales, David Beckham and Zinedine Zidane in person, certainly an unexpected bonus for our many football/soccer fans here.

Unfortunately, one could not find badminton superstars from these countries, but it may be a good idea for England to fly Robertson and Emms over here to support England's cause.

Their presence is also relevant since the debate has been on many people's lips whether the 2012 Games will EXCLUDE badminton because of China's dominance in the game. The Chinese fear that with the recent capture of the Sudirman Cup and with the Thomas and Uber Cups already in the bag, China's dominance in badminton may backfire as the other countries may feel it pointless to include the game at the Olympics.

We have to keep our fingers crossed and hope that the other participating countries will not give up trying to snatch the badminton medals from China! :D

2. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    yup i also read that article.i was also quite afraid that badminton would be phase out.badminton is really one sport that make most crowds get on their feet and shout till their voices go hoarse.if they say china is dominating badminton then how about table tennis.:)

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Madrid is hosting the badminton World Championships. I wonder if they will mention that in their bid?

4. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I should think they will!!
    Increasing their chances of getting the 2012 olympics is probably the biggest reason why Madrid is organizing the 2006 world champs.
    Having already organized world meets in various olympic sports is an important argument in order to stage the olympics...

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    David Beckham coming to Town!

It is reported in the Straits Times today that David Beckham, who is now playing for Real Madrid, will be in Singapore on July 6 to help London bid for Olympics 2012. I also heard that British Prime Minister Tony Blair will also be coming. Maybe, in view of Liverpool's success over AC Milan this early morning as European Cup champions, Steve Gerrard as England's International also, should be invited to Singapore too!

Not to be outgunned, it appears that Paris has sounded out Thierry Henry to diffuse Beckham's presence. Soccer is very popular here and these players are very well-known in Singapore.

The drama will soon be played out in the open and more prominent VIPs and household names will be revealed as the date draws nearer.

But for now, it appears that the fight is between London and Paris! I'm sure underdogs Madrid, New York and Moscow will not remain idle for long!

It will be a rather interesting spectacle for sports-loving Singaporeans! :D

6. Netasia

Netasia Regular Member

Loh I tried to PM you, but your mailbox is full.

I will be getting the court back on the 3rd June, I will be inviting the old gang back, hopefully more BCers. Do drop by if you're free.

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes Netasia, my PM box is now freer. I read your post and hope that your gang will return to enjoy the fun. :D

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Race Hotting Up

Not to be outdone, Spain may be sending Real Madrid's captain, Raul Gonzalez, and the man behind RM's glittering stars, Florentino Perez, to Singapore.

They may join Spain's other sports superstars like 5-time Tour de France winner Miguel Indurain, tennis' 4-time Grand Slam winner Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario and NBA player Pau Gasol of the Memphis Grizzlies,to bid for the right to host Olympics 2012. Spain's 100-strong bidding contingent will be led by their Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero and Queen Sofia. Unfortunately, Singapore will not be able to see the 19-year-old rising tennis star, Rafael Nadal, as he will be playing at Wimbleton from June 20 to July 3.

France will be represented by NBA player Tony Parker, world fencing champion Laura Flessel-Colovic, Olympic women's 400m swimming champion, Laure Manaudou and famed film director Luc Besson and will likely be spearheaded by their President Jacques Chirac. Arsenal's striker Thierry Henry may also be coming! :D

9. quicksilver_07

quicksilver_07 Regular Member

Student
    badminton always left out...

I feel that it is really sad that badminton is always left out. I mean, it is a sport after all. So why don't top ranking players get the fame they deserve as other athletes, like...David Beckham for instance. Badminton is just as good as any other sport out there.

There is a lot of conterversy about badminton being excluded from the 2012 Games. I don't understand how people can be intimedated by China. I do understand that they are the BEST...but where is the point to not including badminton in the Games? In the world of sports, there are bound to be the few that are the best among the rest. If everyone got so intimedated by the BEST, the word sport would have a different meaning to it.

10. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

Yes Badminton is on the list of those games[27] which could be removed from 2012 games.but i believe this is just a warning.With the IBF changing it's WC and olympic qualification rule and establishing training centres around the world and with the sport's popularity rising in countries like germany,singapore,philippines,japan and with the WC coming up in America,realistically speaking it should not happen

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I agree with you. The US has always been strong in Track and Field (I think the most number of Olympic medals to be won for any sport, apart from Swimming) but even a country like China, though the world's most populous but relatively weak in athletics, is not intimidated and try to take some bite off the US and they succeeded by wining the men's hurdles in Athens.

However, there are so many sports and new ones sproutting every now and then, that it is impossible to accommodate all of them at the Olympics. So there must be some criteria for selection. And that's why the IOC is meeting in Singapore in advance to determine which sport will be showcased in 2012.

Frankly, I don't think they dare AXE badminton! Do keep up your spirits! :D

12. lohtw

lohtw Regular Member

Wow Thierry Henry is coming ! That is great. He is my favourite soccer player (and Arsenal is my favourite team) I will give the Olympics rights to France straightaway :) Actually if Michael Jordan were to appear, I would say USA ;)

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    "I Love Paris"

I think nobody can dispute that France has so far put up the best show to attract the notice of the IOC decision makers.

In today's Straits Times, we have a SPECIAL colourful report on Paris and the compelling reasons why it should be the Olympic host for 2012. Overnight, the French have turned their best known shopping boulevard, the Champs-Elysees and the surrounding Le Arc de Triomphe and Louvre into a sports complex showcasing the 28 Olympic sports.

And you know what? They have not forgotten BADMINTON, albeit, I suspect, they laid out a full-size court in the open.

Yes it appears that they have the full support of their citizens judging from the fantastic turnout and the 2,000 volunteers who worked for 12 solid hours to make the event come true!

London will have to do better as Paris' closest rival. Even the last-minute inclusion of Princess Anne to lead the British contingent may not be able to turn the Parisian tide, I'm afraid! D-Day is just around the corner about three weeks away! :crying: :) :D

14. shlikjohn

shlikjohn Regular Member

IT Consultant
    IMHO, I think PARIS will win it.

France haven't held Olympics for more than 70years! :eek:
    Also, they were beaten by Barcelona in 1992 (i think) and by
    Beijing in 2008. So 3rd time around!, I think it is impossible.

Anyways, Singapore will really enjoy the celebrities here :D

15. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I had the luck to see the official presentation of "Paris 2012" project (which had been shown to IOC) on saturday and I must admit I was impressed!

Unfortunately, badminton will not keep any infrastructure after the olympics (if they take place in Paris) and the hall will be recuperated by tennis... :(

16. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    Well.. suddenly feel so lucky that I will be in Johor Bahru (south malaysia) that time which is half an hour drive to Singapore. Hope I'll go there to witness this grand occasion, which possibly will be the first and last time in my life.

17. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist

Well, I am opstimistic in this issue, worst come to worst, stricter rules will be set to prevent Chinese dominance, just like in table tennis, which China dominates more than badminton. It's not a fresh and surprised news to see China win all gold medals in both team and individual events in Table Tennis WC and OC and also won 80% of silver medals at the same.