Help on Coaching People in Badminton

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by jrjrdinh, May 19, 2005.

1. jrjrdinh

jrjrdinh Regular Member

I'm planning to coach a group of 8 people in a gym and about 1/8 of them cannot hit the bird yet? How should I plan my sessions to make it fun for me and them. I don't know how to teach them from beginnning to end? Hitting or Footwork first? Any advice?

2. Big Slick

Big Slick Regular Member

Has to be the grip first. I'd say hitting before footwork, there's no point in getting them moving to the shuttle well if they can't hit it when they get to it. Also people will find footwork coaching very boring if they can't hit the shuttle properly. They will enjoy it more if they see some results, and better hitting will give them more satisfaction than knowing that they move around properly.

3. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Get your students to hand feed birds, beginning with easy stationary shots. My coach usually starts with simple net kills, which are fairly easy to feed and hit from a stationary position. As a result, students can hit a high % of good shots, building their confidence. Difficulty can then be progressively increased.

4. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    i'd say...

1. grip
    2. short serve
    3. long serve
    4. clears (rally)
    5. drives
    6. smash
    7. drops
    etc

add footwork in between from time to time

5. TheShow

TheShow New Member

I think is better if start without a shuttlecock (shadow). U've to show the technique to hit the ball. If ur student can show the right movement, later u can start with the shuttlecock. Maybe its easier if u just throw the shuttlecock to them than u hit the shuttlecock.

Still newbie..... :)

6. quintessence

quintessence Regular Member

Certified Badminton Coach
    Teaching them how to hold a correct standard grip is essential. The VPLS method.

Then you can use "still" shuttle: tie one end of a 3' string to a shuttle and the other end to a rod. Put the shuttle in the desire position for that stroke you are teaching and tell you student to make a hit one after another. Make sure you are not standing in the way. You need to stand on a chair if you are teaching high clear this way. Got it?

7. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

footwork and technique.

1. Have them throw birds so that they can develop the correct form...turn it into a game of some sort.
    2. Teach them how to grip the racquet properly and the rotation of the wrist when you're about to make contact.
    3. Have them practice a bit of form with the racquet.
    4. Hand feed birds for overhead clears or you can have them drive. Driving seems to be a very fun shot to do for beginners. They really enjoy driving against each other from what i've seen.

Just remember to make things fun, cause it's really hard to learn something if you're not interested in it. And it makes things easier for you.

8. gasper

gasper Regular Member

This year i started to coach a group of youngsters too. I thought, easy job, but now, when I had gone trough few classes with them i found out it is not that simple. To tell you the truth, it is easier to teach somebody who knows more, meaning know how to clear, drive, kill etc - know how to play. My guess is that with my group (from 10-13 years old) i have to start with some hitting shuttles and keep them motivated and more importantly at the and of the hour i have to make them happy. It would be ideal that at the end of the hour they would come to me and say, can we play a little more. But this is the catch. It is realy hard to plan a session when kids are at different levels of play. (i would love to have some advice on that... what kind of exercises do you use, or games or anything at all)
    My lessons are 1 hour long and are consisted of warming up with some hand throwing the shuttles and doing 8 with a racket for about 15 min. Then i try to motivate them in doing long serves, "clears" and some short - net play. That is beacuse they love to hit the bird hard all the time:) Just one of this things in one lesson, then i let them play for about 20-30 min. What would you reccomend?
    Tnx guys

Gasper from Slovenia

9. Slammer

Slammer Regular Member

this is how all of my coaches here in china taught me badminton:

1. the grip
    2. practice stroke without shuttle
    3. the high-far serve
    4. the mid-far serve
    5. the clear(untill almost from baseline to baseline)
    6. the smash
    7. the drop(untill they know how to hit the corners)
    8. the short serve
    9. ALL the netplay
    10. simple kills

these are about all the techniques for beginners to get them into intermediate level. remember; its essential that you first teach them the 'cage of the court'
    , so that they will have a better control afterwards for the smaller strokes.

to make it fun for yourself, YOU can practice your own footwork while you let them clear the bird for you. just be careful not to make it your day.

10. quintessence

I used to put them in groups and design competitive games for them. For example, put 4 shuttles (4 courts) on the side lines of the courts along a straight line and ask the first player to pick up the shuttles and transport them back to home one by one in 4 rounds; the next team member will have to put the shuttles back into their original places. Repeat, when there are more members in the team. This is training for footwork and physical capability.

Another trianing for better control: bounce up the shuttle and carry it to the other side of the court(s). When there are teams, set up for relay.

Two players performing short net shots (one player use forehand and the other use backhand) and move along the nets (e.g. starts at court 1 and move along to court 4) in one direction. This is designed for intermediate teenagers.

Use your imagination, I'm sure you can come up with more games of this kind.

11. gasper

gasper Regular Member

tnx for the tips:)

the thing is that i don't want to bother them too much with footwork altough in my opinion also is the most imporant part of a great player. They really hate to do it, but when we do it i can really see in some of them that they are trying hard. i was thinking about some games that would involve footwork like quintessence before mentioned. they ewould be doing footwork but wouldn't know that they are doing footwork beacuse it's part of the game.
    my idea for theach little kids (11-15 -not little anymore hehe) is like this:
    1. grip (no grip no proper stroke)
    2. high far serve (so that they use their power and try to figure it out the wrist stroke - using proper grip)
    3. clears (again to user their power and searching for the right way to hit it)
    4. simple net play

and this is for the first half of year or maybe longer. I also teach them footwork, one corner at a time so in 6 months they will be able to connect all of them. i use this as a part of warming up.

cheers:D

12. quintessence

That goes to the next level. I would set up drills for them. Two on Two, Three on Three or Two on Three. These are simplfied game situations, but each of the player will concentrate on only one move (3 on 3).

For example, Two on Two can be set up two players stand in the rear corners while the other two play on the other side near the net. Players at rear will play straight or reverse drop while the players near the net will play forehand or backhand flick clear.

Another example with Three on Three: two in front and one behind - the players in front will practice forehand/backhand net shot or clear. The player at the rear will do drop or high clear.

These drills work well with adult players too.

13. jcgalurs08

jcgalurs08 New Member

Want to begin Coaching

those group of people are lucky to have you to share and coach them of what you have about badminton.
    fist I suggest that they must know why theywant to play badminton(they must set goal/s). Second, they must take responsiblity that whatever outcome they maybe as a players will depend on them.
    Regards:)

14. trainedtotrain

trainedtotrain Regular Member

trainer

Hi jrjrdinh,

By the way you say Gym, your athletes must be at least 12 and above. Training new beginners is fun.

You hv to get alot of shuttles, give everyone about 20 to 30 shuttles. Show them how to hold the racquet using a palm grip.

Show them how to use only the wrist action to strike the shuttles.

Ensure their upper arm is up and elbow pointing out towards the right side.

Then teach them how to throw a shuttle on the other hand and strike it with their dominant hand.

Allow them to practice till you can hear slight impact and the distance of the shuttle to be improving gradually.

After which give them a target to focus on..... the rest is up to you to follow up using what you have learned.

Always bear in mind, coaching is progressive and sensing the feelings of the athlete.

Wish you all the best in your coaching

15. quintessence

Coaching

Hi jrjrdnh,

It's been years since you posted this. How is your coaching now? Can I/we have an idea of how well you are doing now? Thanks.