badminton high school

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by täby_swe, May 20, 2005.

1. täby_swe

täby_swe Regular Member

Is anyone here going to start a badminton high school? or are there any in your countries?

I'm in ninth grade now and next year i will start in one school like that. i'll go in a regular class, but I have badminton as profile.
    I get to practice 4 times a week on school time, and then in the evenings i practice as usual, 3-4 times. I think it's going to be great. actually we have 2 badminton high schools in my municipality :) a great opportunity.

- SK

2. confuzzledfreak

confuzzledfreak Regular Member

Student
    .....I'm jealous ...very jealous

3. Nephrus

Nephrus Regular Member

same... but i'll add i hate you... for telling me this !!!! :D :mad: :(

4. Renkinjutsushi

Renkinjutsushi Regular Member

omg ! :eek: so damn lucky :crying: i never knew badminton boarding schools existed :crying: (i believe they're called 'boarding schools'... :rolleyes: , cuz i met some people from China who go to high school but all major in Kung Fu, and they called it a boarding school for martial arts)anyways, no, never heard of such a thing existing in Canada...

5. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Yes, there is one in Glasgow called the "Glasgow School of Sport" (funnily enough) that specializes in about 7-8 sports where the kids are coached sport specifically depending on their aptitude to their chosen sport.

Before you enroll for the sports orientated part of the school you are assessed to see if you are potentially good enough and are enrolled accordingly, there is also a lot of normal school students without the sport specialization part.

There have been and still are some very good talents at the school that have made their way into national squads and the coaching staff are among the highest qualified in Scotland with all but a couple at the highest grade.

6. orjanravna

orjanravna Regular Member

Student
    Hello my Swedish friend! Titta på meij jag snakkar svensk:D
    I'm going to a Badminton High School next year. The only one in my country. Badminton is small here in Norway, sad, but true.. We have 4 trainigs at School and 4 trainings after School, I'm really looking forward to it:D

-Ørjan

7. täby_swe

täby_swe Regular Member

Hi! hej :)
    maybe i have seen you in skånska ungdomsspelen or varberg europeiska, or maybe even täby internationella, if you have ever come to sweden?
    couse i've seen a couple of norweigan players born 1989.
    So you're the only one starting badminton school in the country :p kinda cool.

8. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    I know ... so lucky ... In China , there are tons of sports schools for badminton , but , as far as I know , they are very privileged schools . Only special , qualified kids are allowed to attend .

Even if there is such thing as a 'special' sports school in Canada , I doubt they'll have badminton as one of the sports selected :(

9. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    if they did, all they would have is hockey, hockey, and hockey :( :mad: :rolleyes:

10. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    lol that would probably be true ... it's Canada after all :rolleyes:

11. charzord

charzord Regular Member

Student
    Dont forget Lacrosse. It IS supposedly our national sports :p

12. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    i like the word "supposedly" :p
    well, i guess we're going off topic
    i think it'd be great if we could get a badminton dedicated highschool in canada :rolleyes: (obviously trying to get back on topic) ;)

13. Renkinjutsushi

where do you think possible locations would be if such specialized schools were built? :confused: at first i thought about Vancouver, BC and Markham, ON since most of the better players and clubs are located there, to the extent of my knowledge. But then i thought about that they WON'T be possible locations since there ARE lots of good clubs. so in the end, i'm once again indecisive (luckily i'm not AS indecisive in a badminton game :D )

14. orjanravna

orjanravna Regular Member

Student
    Hej..
    I'm sorry if I said that I'm the only one in my country, but I'm going to the ONLY High School...
    I never been in Sweden with badminton:crying: but i have a couple of friends. They are pretty good..!

15. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

I believe there is a training center in Alberta (funded by goverment), that is including badminton too. But that's as much as I have heard of, not even sure if it is a highschool, college or just a sport training center that is. Hope someone can provide more information about it. :rolleyes:

16. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

Isn't it odd that the places where the most Badminton is played is in an asian community?
    There are a huge number of asians in Vancouver BC and in Toronto ON, especially Markham, and a little bit in Montreal QC.:)

17. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    There IS A sports High School in TORONTO!

It's Birchmount! I have a friend who goes there for tennis. grrr and we use to grow up together cuz our parents were friends and they played badminton every week. I can't believe he betrayed me lol.

18. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    Talk about betrayal.. changed from badminton to tennis eh? :p ;)

19. Blu3Rabbit

Blu3Rabbit Regular Member

wow im surprised so many people didnt realize badminton and boarding school existed. Where i live, Cali San Diego, every highschool have a badminton team.

20. Renkinjutsushi

well, we're not actually talking about badminton teams at high schools, but a highschool DEVOTED to badminton. for example, in case you missed it, schools in China 'audition' applicants. a badminton-devoted high school would have all students major in badminton, providing practices during school times, and after school (extracurricular) and such. but the students are still requried to take sciences, history, and that sort of stuff. just that the whole school is devoted to training all the students in whatever sport/arts.