User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any chinese doctor here? or any medicial students here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SWC_Ant
    i'm only guessing, but can it have something to do with the chinese concept of "chi"?
    Chi and yin and yang I guess. You have to keep a balance between the yin and the yang so your energy flow, the chi, doens't get disrupted. For example, in the summer (yang), you eat yin food like cold dishes, raw vegetables...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, after studyin economics, the urge to visit this forum hit again. Once again I found a nice thread to participate in . Enough formalities.

On the hot and cold water thing after a game, look at it this way. After exercise, your body needs to replenish water lost through sweat and when you drink water it gets absorbed via osmosis. But this absorbtion rate is faster after exercising when the water is cooler than your body temperature, something around the mid twenties to the late twenties degrees.

But for those of you guys who take a cold drink from a freezer, now that's wrong. Simple analogy which I hoped will not be flamed by a famous flamer in this forum... is this. Consider a frying wok or a claypot. After heating it due to cooking be it stirfry or boiling claypot dishes the wok and claypot are both hot as in around the hundreds of degrees if you immediately splash it with ice cold water it'll crack. This does not mean your internal organs will crack but I say if you cause it to contract too fast after expanding you might risk injuring it.

My 2 cents on the matter.

Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FEND.
    Simple analogy which I hoped will not be flamed by a famous flamer in this forum...
    I'll do it then...

is this. Consider a frying wok or a claypot. After heating it due to cooking be it stirfry or boiling claypot dishes the wok and claypot are both hot as in around the hundreds of degrees if you immediately splash it with ice cold water it'll crack. This does not mean your internal organs will crack but I say if you cause it to contract too fast after expanding you might risk injuring it.
    you cannot assume that because a metal object reacts in a certain way means that your internal organs will also.

One way that was found to make strong swords was to beat them into shape after they were heated to a red-hot temperature and then to stick them into a bucket of water.
    Is that example an exact opposite of your analogy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Nicholls
    I'll do it then...

you cannot assume that because a metal object reacts in a certain way means that your internal organs will also.

One way that was found to make strong swords was to beat them into shape after they were heated to a red-hot temperature and then to stick them into a bucket of water.
    Is that example an exact opposite of your analogy?
    Not really. The wok was a bad one, the better one is the clay pot. It's like how your body reacts to the change in temperatures. Even if it's 10 degrees change but in a short moment your organs take a shock because of the temperature drop and this is not good for the organs. It takes a battering which is unnecessary and weakens it in the process.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not really. The wok was a bad one, the better one is the clay pot.
    is the human body like a clay pot?

"Water is the most abundant component of the body (60% + by weight).
    Blood, kidney, heart and lungs are made of 80% or more water. Muscle, spleen, brain, intestines, & skin are 72-75% water. Even bones are 22% and fat tissue is 10% water."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Nicholls
    is the human body like a clay pot?

"Water is the most abundant component of the body (60% + by weight).
    Blood, kidney, heart and lungs are made of 80% or more water. Muscle, spleen, brain, intestines, & skin are 72-75% water. Even bones are 22% and fat tissue is 10% water."
    This stats show how much influence water can have on your body.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally correct. Related in chinese medi.

But after all people reviews, according to chinese doctor, our bones do expand and contract when we do something, during hot or cold weather or eat or drink something or play. Its also because of mainly a too high temperature drop or rise in our body to cause injuries not to heal or even get worst.

Quote Originally Posted by raptorman
    Chi and yin and yang I guess. You have to keep a balance between the yin and the yang so your energy flow, the chi, doens't get disrupted. For example, in the summer (yang), you eat yin food like cold dishes, raw vegetables...
    Last edited by Jansenkzh; 05-25-2005 at 12:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

everything does expand and contract to a certain extend while being subjected to heat and cold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree to a certain extend with FEND views on that. But our body is not clay pot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm, but if the organs take a shock from the sudden change in temperature, wouldn't u feel something? when i do take cold drinks during or after a game, i feel pretty good in fact pretty refreshing. maybe the drink gotta be really cold? and not chilled?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Add cold into hot, of course shiok. But your bones won't feel that way . Its kind of "no feeling" slow killing human way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jansenkzh
    Add cold into hot, of course shiok. But your bones won't feel that way . Its kind of "no feeling" slow killing human way.
    then wat is the diff between applying coldness from on the skin lvl and drink cold water? since both are cold and will reach the bone?

according to wat u are saying, applying ice on skin lvl should be worst then drinking cold water

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When your bone got injured(sprained) you need to contract it, in order to do so, we must apply ice to make it contract, but it is not a good idea. It might cause "feng shi". Drink cold water, it goes down into your body and round everywhere and affect your bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcos
    then wat is the diff between applying coldness from on the skin lvl and drink cold water? since both are cold and will reach the bone?

according to wat u are saying, applying ice on skin lvl should be worst then drinking cold water

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but then again, cold water doesn't stay cold forever, i believe the water warms up pretty fast once it enters ur body

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After awhile the pain will come back. Meaning after spraying those chemical thingy or after finishing applying ice on it after sometime, the pain will come again.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcos
    but then again, cold water doesn't stay cold forever, i believe the water warms up pretty fast once it enters ur body

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jansenkzh
    After awhile the pain will come back. Meaning after spraying those chemical thingy or after finishing applying ice on it after sometime, the pain will come again.
    i think sprays and ice are meant to relieve the pain? not too sure about this.

so basically u are saying that drinking cold water when u are warm up will cause ur bones to ache?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast