WHat to do if one got Injuries.

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Jansenkzh, May 21, 2005.

1. Jansenkzh

Jansenkzh Regular Member

Like say you got back ache or arm injury. What cannot be done. Cannot drink cold drinks if you got injuries. After a game, need to rest for 5 mins then can you drink water(not cold water). Theres more... hope more people can post to remind us.....

2. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Take a break and heal, do not try and play through or your injury will not heal properly!

As for the drinking, you can drink whatever you want whenever you want. It will not affect your injury or healing

3. Jansenkzh

Jansenkzh Regular Member

Its true for not drinking cold drinks. Its according to chinese doctor. It will affect your healing process. I think those from western country people wouldn't know that. Even if you go see western doctor, you won't be healed. The will only give you those unnecessary medicine, but as for chinese doctor, they will analysis and treat you, but of course it will includes medicines and some needles treatment of messaging.

4. Dill

Dill Regular Member

What is the medical explanation of not being able to drink cold drinks if I am injured?

Never once have I been told this from a western doctor and I have been badly injured several times

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Poor Dill:),

it would take a cultural change to understand. Chinese medicine and principles work on a different logic.

Wether it actually works or is a placebo effect is another matter.

I had an injury to my knuckle once. The pain wouldn't settle for a few months. I happend to see a Chinese traditional doctor ("called a bone setter"). He gave me some wierd, strong smelling, poultice. I was skeptical at first....however, the pain did go away very quickly afterwards :confused:

6. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Not a cultural change but just some scientific proof!

Pastes and remedies usually have some effect which can be metered and explained by some active ingredient/combination of ingredients or other, even homeopathic remedies which have so little of the ingredient are up for debate in their ability to have healing properties or are they just placebo's.

I would never say an old remedy will not work and would think that everything should be tried irrespective of its origins in time/geographical area, afterall western medicine is very often too mechanised and wrong.

But to say you can't drink something cold boggles the mind, purely because of the lack of scientific evidence to back it up.

7. Jansenkzh

Jansenkzh Regular Member

Chinese medicine did have scientific thingy. You might want to seek more people opinions here.

8. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Cheung's will suffice ;)

I will not enter into a debate about Chinese medicine or Eastern V's Western medicine for that matter but what I don't understand is what will drinking something cold do to me in order to prevent me from healing?

We can't quantify certain things, and old remedies are common in all cultures!

The only question I am asking is:

What is there about cold drinks that will prevent me healing? You have posted it afterall, so you must have a reason!

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    There's some balance between 'hot' and 'cold'. So don't drink cold things after badminton cos it will disturb your balance. :(

Mind you, I never follow this rule. When playing in tropical heat, I need all the ice cold fluid replacement I can get. :eek:

10. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Yes balance between hot and cold application of substances directly onto muscle tissue to aid in the blood circulation and stop swelling but not drinking cold substances is what get me?

The key is the drinking part not hot or cold? If you are exerting yourself during physical excersice then you need to replace your fluids, I would think.

11. Jansenkzh

Jansenkzh Regular Member

I dunno how to explain it well but Im sure someone will be able to explain. :D I'm serious, its true. You can try it, if you do not believe us.... By not drinking cold drinks for 1 week, you will find your bones will heal back quickly.

12. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    I've been told by one of my coaches not to drink cold drinks directly after a game/training. Something like you may just choke on it?? I don't see the logic behind it.. but I still follow that advice. I've got enough injuries as it is.:p

What I've learnt: Sprained ankle(I sprained it once when I warmed up in my sandals. Yes, I know, I should have been wearing shoes.:rolleyes: But the court was there.. and courts are hard to get for warm up during tournaments). Apply ice on it, it will reduce the swelling, and the pain.

Injured arms. I'm an expert on dislocated shoulders!:p Let it heal for as long as you think it needs to heal. After that, when you resume training/playing, apply ice after each session to 'tighten' the ligaments. I'm still doing that up to today.

Back ache. I don't know, somehow never managed to overcome this problem before. I usually get back aches when I have insufficient sleep. So.. get sufficient hours of sleep.

Cramp. If it's your right leg, bend your left leg and lean forward on your left leg, straighten your right leg behind you. You'll feel the 'pull' in the right leg. It'll go off after a while. If it's your left leg, vice versa applies. DO NOT APPLY ICE!

As a First-Aider, I've been taught that nearly every sport-related injury can be treated with ice on the spot, except for cramps. Fatigue can be treated by dripping water slowly into the poor fellow's mouth.

CPR must be performed after the poor fellow isn't breathing and his/her pulse isn't there... then again, I doubt people can get heart attacks while playing badminton. Can they?

13. Jansenkzh

Jansenkzh Regular Member

What we meant by now isint applying ice on ones' body but inside ones' mouth. Totally different story.

14. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    It's a chinese thing lol... The best to do would be find a chinese doctor and ask about it. It'll be more clear than our explanation when we're not doctors ourselves :D

15. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Yes they can and sadly enough there was a guy in another club that played in the same centre as us and passed away doing what he loved last summer by having a heart attack on the court and not making it through, he was in his late 60's though but looked fit enough.

16. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    i'm only guessing, but can it have something to do with the chinese concept of "chi"?

many things are impossible to explain scientifically, so you can't rely on science to explain everything (although i am a pretty scientific person) i think i saw something on guiness world records about a man who was swimming under the arctic ice, wearing swimming trunks and goggles. i think he said something about some kind of chi kong that makes his body feel flaming hot :eek:
    that is very hard to explain with science.

17. tifam

tifam Regular Member

Try to use pharmaceutical chemistry of Lander . It proves effective result,better by far in comparison to the other pomade either chinese balm.

18. Jansenkzh

Jansenkzh Regular Member

Any chinese doctor here? or any medicial students here?

19. raptorman

raptorman Regular Member

Chi and yin and yang I guess. You have to keep a balance between the yin and the yang so your energy flow, the chi, doens't get disrupted. For example, in the summer (yang), you eat yin food like cold dishes, raw vegetables...

20. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Alright, after studyin economics, the urge to visit this forum hit again. Once again I found a nice thread to participate in :D:D. Enough formalities.

On the hot and cold water thing after a game, look at it this way. After exercise, your body needs to replenish water lost through sweat and when you drink water it gets absorbed via osmosis. But this absorbtion rate is faster after exercising when the water is cooler than your body temperature, something around the mid twenties to the late twenties degrees.

But for those of you guys who take a cold drink from a freezer, now that's wrong. Simple analogy which I hoped will not be flamed by a famous flamer in this forum... is this. Consider a frying wok or a claypot. After heating it due to cooking be it stirfry or boiling claypot dishes the wok and claypot are both hot as in around the hundreds of degrees if you immediately splash it with ice cold water it'll crack. This does not mean your internal organs will crack but I say if you cause it to contract too fast after expanding you might risk injuring it.

My 2 cents on the matter.

Cheers.