Anyone tried Eagnas Hawk 26e?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by lsk_rulez, May 23, 2005.

1. lsk_rulez

lsk_rulez Regular Member

I am torn between this and getting the cheapest drop weight model. I think the electronic tensioning will be more accurate and faster, but it is >$150 more that the cheapest drop weight.

My problem with drop weight machines is that I am not confident that I can get consistent tension (ie, getting the weight to be horizontal for every string).

Of course, I can train myself to be pretty good, but how much practise will it take?

If I own a stringing machine, I plan to rotate my racket and string one of them per month. How much time will the electronic tensioning save vs. drop weight vs crank? How about accuracy/consistency?

Opinion?

2. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

As I'm sure you're aware, a drop-weight stringer gives you a constant pull because of way it works. It'll also never need to be recalibrated as long as earth's gravity stays at 9.8m/s or as long as you string your racquet on earth. :)

As for making sure the drop-weight is horizontal during tensioning issue, someone on another board calculated that the difference in the actual string tension when the bar is +/- 5 degrees off horizontal is negligible. I don't remember the numbers, but it was in the order of 0.1lbs or so. Not something that you'll likely to notice when you're playing.

Another option for drop-weight machines where you'll never have to worry about making sure the drop bar is horizontal is Laserfibre/Stringway machines. (I think Laserfibre, http://www.laserfibre.com, is the US distributor for Stringway which is based in Holland.) They invented (patented?) a tensioning system where the pull will be accurate no matter what the angle of the bar is. Of course, you'll have to pay handsomely for their machines. I don't remember what their prices are, but they're quite expensive.

You can do quality stringing jobs on drop-weight, crank or electronic systems. It may just take a little longer to achieve it on drop-weight machines. If you're going to string only for yourself, then taking a little more time may not be a big issue as long as you're happy with the result.

IMHO, after researching various types of machines myself and trawling a number of stringing discussion boards for info, it seems to me that the two most important features in a stringing machines that experienced stringers look for are the mounting system and the clamps---both on the turntable and on the tensioning head. Because however accurate the tensioning head is would matter none at all if the string slips in the clamps.

FWIW, HTH.

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Well said. One thing to add is if you buy from Eagnas, I will suggest you to buy the wider badminton clamps also. It is about $15 each but they work better than standard clamps which I think is for tennis.

4. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18833 post #37

yep

5. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Drop weight machines are constant pull
    but with slowly decreasing tension as the string stretches. Pre-stretching the string reduces that. And you can see that the tension does not reduce by very much if the bar only deviates slightly.

The LaserFibre drop weight machines are supposed to be constant pull, constant tension.

Electronic constant pull machines may vary.
    I think I read somewhere that a lot of electronic machines only pull constant tension for x number of seconds and then they lock out (like a crank spring lockout). (Anyone else know anything about this?)
    So you have to move your clamps and clamp the newly tensioned string pretty quick.
    This is no problem for an experienced stringer, but for a newbie it may be harder to be consistent.

For 1 racquet a month a drop-weight should be fine. No electronics to go wrong either.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    My suggestion is 1st use junk string and cheap racket for some practice with low tension (18-20lb). After about 3-5 rackets, you should be able to handle the accuracy of tension range. Then, with more practice, u can do a decent job with less time spending on each. ;)

Therefore, my suggestion is NOT to do anything on ur expensive MP99, AT800, NS7K or etc with BG85 / CBN 100 etc unless u have at least 5-10 runs under belt.

7. lsk_rulez

lsk_rulez Regular Member

Thank you guys. I will be looking for a drop weight machine in my price range (ie, as low as possible :D )

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The cheapest in the market, might not be able to do a decent job. Quite a few members (including me) are using Klipper M140 (www.klipperusa.com), and seems most are satisfied with the performance. Worth to take a look. ;)

9. silentheart

I agree. Heavier base is a plus. I still suggest you to buy wide badminton clamps even it come with 2 small ones.

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Good point! The main thing I don't like M140 at the beginning is the original clamps are very narrow, and having trouble to maintain 23+lbs.

If u plan to go beyond 23lb, get wider clamps. Yonex flying clamp is very good, even though a bit expensive (US$25 around), but consider it as a long time investment. ;)

11. lsk_rulez

lsk_rulez Regular Member

OK, how about Eagnas DEN-3600? It has 6 mounting points. It also has that linear string gripper, which I think will save time when adjusting for that perfectly horizontal :D weight bar.

Some other Eagnas models mention micro adjustable head and throat mounting posts. Do I need this?

Some mentioned that Eagnas is at the lower end of quality scale. Does it refer to durability or usability? Their models seem to have more features for the money.

I will be stringing for myself, so the machine will see very light use (~1 racket/mo), and I will be stringing only at home, no road trip for the stringing machine.

12. silentheart

DEN-3600 is a good machine except it take additional time to adjust the side support. I think it is good for padded mounting too. I think Hawk 26 is actually your best choice for the price and functionality. This is a tennis stringing machine also. So you can string tennis racquets for your friends and make some money. I will suggest you to buy 2 of this

http://www.eagnas.com/maxgen1/pn3050.html

because you can save on shipping and it is cheaper than yy or hiqua clamps. Unless you are stringing more than 3 racquets a week, you are not going to break this machine. If you live in south CA, you can drive over to pick it up. If you are in Chicago area, Klippermate will be your choice because of the life time warrenty.

I will not suggest you to string higher than 25lb on badminton racquets on any of these machines at beginning.

Guys, please add any input for alpha machine and other stringing machine.

Have a nice weekend.

#12 silentheart, May 26, 2005
    Last edited: May 26, 2005
  13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Save time? Yeah. However, if u just string 1 or 2 racket per month, I doubt u should even consider this factor. ;)

14. lsk_rulez

lsk_rulez Regular Member

Less stringing time === more court time :p

15. lsk_rulez

lsk_rulez Regular Member

Less stringing time == more court time [​IMG]

16. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

I use an Alpha Axis Pro with badminton swivel clamps. It's more than I need, really; but, they've such a great customer support, especially Mark Gonzales (mark@alphatennis.com) that I decided it's worth it.

Speaking of Mark, the machine comes with tennis swivel clamps, but if you tell him that you want badminton clamps instead, he'll swap them for you. Mind you, they also include 2 badminton flying clamps, so if you decide to keep the tennis clamps and use the flying clamps, you can do that too.

If you want a badminton-specific machine, they've the Shuttle Express table-top model. Comes with everything you'll need to string and packaged in a handy travel case, so you can take it to tourneys/gyms with you.

FWIW, HTH.

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Sounds impressive. Do u have a website to show some pic and spec of their machine / accessories?

18. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

http://www.alphatennis.com

A little outdated---the Axis (non-Pro) has been discontinued, the Revo 4K picture shows a wrong turntable---but, it should give you some info. If you want to know more, you can always send a mail to Mark.

HTH.

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Thanks for the link!

The shuttle express looks cute, but with such a short "pulling bar", I wonder how well it can do the job, especially for high tension. :rolleyes:

20. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained ;)