Thinking ahead

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Wizbit, May 23, 2005.

1. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    I notice that some people play badminton with little or tactics, and often just rely on their reactionary and recovery speed or power to win in a game. I am now in the belief that, to be a better player, one needs not to only know or anticipate what shot your opponent is about to make, but also in the subsequent strokes and rally.

Question: Do you consciously think ahead in a game of badminton? If so, how many strokes/shots do you think ahead/plan in advance?

For example, the most common example of thinking ahead would be when you are serving..you anticipate the reply from your opponent depending on your type of serve, and where to place it next. That is already thinking 2 shots in advance, or 3 if you include your opponent's. Unless you are one of those types who just clear it back high or just drop it back, and wait for a reply 99% of the time:rolleyes:

Do you actively use probablity to calculate and anticipate your opponent's next move(s)?

Most of us already subconsiously do this. Example, a shot that goes over the head of your opponent and deep to the corner, whilst they are still at the net. Probability is very low that they will return with a high clear, therefore you move your base forward naturally. OR opponent has weak backhand and can only drop, so you naturally move in to the net after you play a lift to their backhand etc.

Would be interesting to find out from advanced and top players. :cool:

2. cheung31

cheung31 Regular Member

great post. i've been wondering about the same thing, and in the meantime i've been attempting to think my shot, and their return in advance. but i have a hard time doing that while i play, guess i g2 keep at it and hopefully it'll become a good habit.

3. Pball

Pball Regular Member

I think the most you can anticipate is 2 shots. More than that will cause hesitation with your shot. And yes I do find myself doing this recently (last 6 months - been playing for 2 years).

I was also taught to read body language. This is different in indiviuals. It helps somewhat in anticipating the opponents shots. I also try to glimpse the opponent while warming up. Just to check.

Another good thing to do is to try to read habits. Some players tend to do the same shot when pressured, e.g. attacking clear forces the opponent to his backhand, my opponent last night shot 3 cross court drops, unfortunately my partner for last night was just a "reaction' player.

regards

4. viver

viver Regular Member

Why anticipate 2 shots? If you anticipate the first shot, you might have finished the rally.

5. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    I believe once you reach a certain level, reading 2 shots is necessary. Just cause you read it doesn't mean you can hit a shot they can't return.

6. deveraux

deveraux Regular Member

I haven't been playing for very long (~3 years now). Whenever I play with beginners and I use that time to practise my accuracy and work on difficult shots to ready myself for when I play against better players like in my uni league. For the past year, I have also found myself thinking of shots ahead (max 2 during serves and a shot ahead during normal play) but I find that it bearly works against beginners.

It's much easier for me to plan ahead for intermediate - advanced players since they are much more predictable. I find it annoying that beginners have that kind of "edge" and lose it as they become better, or, maybe its just me not being attentive enough during certain games to really notice.

However, even when I do plan my shots, I sometimes don't follow through with them because the climate is ever-changing, mid-way executing those shots, I will usually find a more optimal shot that can win the point or at least set up a winning point. I guess this just means that I still have a lot to learn about playing the game mentally, but I'm just glad that I have at least started.

7. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Its good to anticipate your opponents move. But don't treat and think the game like a chess match thinking of all the moves that they will make or what is your next next moves. If you are very competitive player or Pro.. usually they watch their opponents game and try to analyse their strength and weakneses. Then probably you can have a higher chances of anticipate where the shuttle will go. However in a game situation, from what i know. You can only anticipate the shots when you see your opponents movement on the court. The secret is to have a game plan. It is hard to think 3 or 4 moves ahead of the game since the movement and placement of the shuttle varies. There is so many combinations involve. Most that we can do is probably think 2 shots ahead provided if we manage to control the game. If our opponent control the game most of the time. We will just have to think on how to save ourselfs out of the situation :) . The ideal is to dictate the game the way you want it to be. Force your opponent to follow your phase. Then you will have higher chances of controlling the game thus you have more time to think of the next move u want to make.

8. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Yes, but not during the rallies. It's more strategy than tactics. A game-plan rather than a rally-plan. Either decided beforehand, or evolved during the game (between the rallies).

e.g.
    Player 1 is fast and is quick to follow in after a smash for the net kill
    So my default responses to the smash are a deep defensive lift or an attacking drive to try to get over or around him.

Player 2 is more powerful but slower, so my default response to the smash is a block to the net

Player 3 has a weak defense so even from the back line my default shot from overhead is a smash

And so on. If the opponent starts doing something different, you adapt.

9. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

I can only anticipate the return on the shots I just made.
    For example, if I do a a tight net drop shot, the opponent can either return a net shot or clear lift. Consequently, I position myself nearer the net.

But many players are very good in deception and and recovery situation, so it is very hard to anticipate a shot, and think ahead.