Your most effective shot- singles

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by New_Guy04, May 23, 2005.

1. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

Your most effective shot when you are playing singles... details please! And plz don't spaz about stuff like "It depends the type of player u play blah blah..." just generally... which shot has given you the most amount of winners during singles games, where it doesn't depend what type of player u play, but they still work on them most of the time...
    I plan to make a super thread, where you guys write all your most effective shots, and i could emulate them during a game to get some cheap points ;P.

Mine is the overhead drop shot from my rear forhand to crosscourt. i tend to slice the birdie and cutting it, and alot of ppl (doesn't matter who i play with, but it works on them whoever it is) get fooled by it. That's my #1 winning shot.

2. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    for me, i like the drop to the opponents right corner, then do a push-drive-offensive clear to their backhand :D but some people are fast enough to recover though...

something else that sometimes happens is i push them to their backhand far corner, and then if i get a weak return i kill it :D

oops did i just say my strategy? :p

3. Azwok

Azwok Regular Member

Student
    Yea- sorta agree with new guy. Top shot for me is a angled cross court cheque smash/ drop. I would like to think that I was skillfull enough to slice across the feathers to bring it down steeper sorta like a cut smash- but im not:crying: .

Speaking of one of the most effective shots in singles did anyone see the 2004 All England Mens Singles semi final between P.Gade and T.Hidayat? In the second rally of the first game Hidayat plays flat cross court drop from the rear forehand court and is then pushed to the back hand rear court where he plays a round-the-head straight drop that lands within a foot of the net- well before the service line. And this shot was played from deep in the backhand rear court. The shot was so effective that even though Gade was waiting at his base for Hidayat to play his shot (Gade wasn't pulled out of position or anything) he still couldn't get the shot!:eek: !:eek: !
    If you guys get a chance to see that match you must, and look out for that shot, it has to be my favourite shot of all time.

Azwok.

4. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

yeah, that shot actually takes a lot of practice to pull off as the birdie is going to be in the same angle as your racket face if you were to slice it. It definately is a very good shot and it wins me a lot of points (especially if it is REALLY off pace)

Personally, the shot that gets me the most points is the reverse slice jump smash. If pulled out correctly, this should land almost at the service line and side out line. I don't do that shot too much now because my coach gets mad when I miss :( (But when i don't it works 95% of the time)

5. BzerKboi

BzerKboi Regular Member

a jump slice smash/drop to the opponents forehand side...lands a few inches from the service line and on the singles boundary to the side.

6. Hawkefire

Hawkefire Regular Member

My Shots

One of my best shot combos is the back-hand cross-court drop to the jump smash. When you backhand corss-court drop it, your opponent will see the hole you left on the other side. They tend to flick it into that hole (occasionally they drop) when they flick, just jump to the side and smash down the line. If they drop, just continue the rally.:D:D:D:D

7. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

mine is the slice clear to the backhand side... i make it deceptive and steep and fast at the same time, so it's hard for them to use a forehand around the head. Also, it's too low to do a proper backhand overhead clear, so they tend to either drive or drop it using backhand underhand. And then, what do i do? KILL!

8. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Crosscourt drop to their forehand. Most of the time they can't return it but if they do get it, I attack to their backhand.

Crosscourt smash to their forehand works well too. Too bad I'm not left handed, or I'll crosscourt smash to their backhand like Lin Dan. :D

9. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Gotta be the high serve and clears :). If you don't know that, forget bout playing singles. Everything else is almost irrelevant if you don't know high serves and base to base clears.

10. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

One of my favourites used to be Chen Hong's favourite shot.
    Reverse slice smash.

I particularly like it when somebody tries to clear to my backhand corner and doesn't get it high/deep enough. Jump out to the left and make it look like the smash down the line is coming, but smash cross-court to the right. And hope they don't reach it and block it to the net 'cos I probably won't get back in time.

11. heyphilip

heyphilip Regular Member

Student
    favourite shots would have to be the forearm slice for singles.
    i like letting the shuttle drop to my waist height or shoulder height (depending on type of shot) on my right side, where i can either play cross court or down the line drop shot fast or slow.. very deceptive as the only thing that changes is the movement of my wrist and power applied to it. if you can musta enough power you could even drive the shuttle or better yet clear to back court by forearm slice.
    you will still be in good position for the next shot, and have a clear view where the opponent is standing before playing the shot.

#11 heyphilip, May 25, 2005
    Last edited: May 25, 2005
  12. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    I like hold flick or hold drop at net. It sets up the next shot. I also like clearing....:confused: Or fake a drop overhead then punch clear. Sets up the next shot really well, and when I get a weak return, I keep moving them around. Not AS effective against really quick opponents though, as they usually get to my shot in time to do a full court clear back to the baseline, "resetting" the point.

13. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    my favorite single's shot that almost always works is when the birdie is right in front of me and i approaching it with a backhand grip but not in driving position, but my racket is instead across my body so it looks like I am going to backhand clear, as soon as I see them move to cover the backhand clear I use my wrist to drive it to their forehand side also in the process I exaggerate my body movement to the backhand side. This shot has won me a numerous amount of points. Only draw back is you have to be in great position to pull it off. But if done right it will either be a pure winner or limit ur opponent who is wrong-footed at this point to make a futile recovery and in that case can make an easy kill.

14. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    Opponent cross court drops to me, I move to get it. They think that I'm going for a straight drop so they run to where they dropped the bird, and I cross court drop the direction that they're coming from. As it's going over the net, the opponent is still half running in the opposite direction, and by the time they stop completely on the opposite side of the birdie, I've won the rally. It makes them look really funny :D

15. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    Probably ofensive clear to back hand

16. checkthemc

checkthemc Regular Member

None/Student
    Same here, except if you slice it, some people fumble for a proper overhand bh clear or just a bh drive. Sometimes they fumble

17. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    from the far backhand side of my court, i slice it to my forehand-net side. if they drop then i push the shot at them which causes them to give out a weak return that i can kill.

when they drop, i bring my racket down and use my wrist to flick it at their backhand at the last second. something i've been working on for a while for maximum deception.

18. AzNl3oi89

AzNl3oi89 Regular Member

Student
    an effective shot that I do, probly along with everyone else is when they high serve it to you and you just drop it to either side really close to the net and the side line. my friend calls it an rk (rookie killer) shot cause rookies always fall for it, but i think a ton of other people fall for it too. im also trying to find out how to reach those shots when someone does it to me, but i just dunno how to cause its so hard to react to it

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    For a shot that is a winner, I don't have one :(

For an effective shot that gives me an advantage, I'd say is has to be a high serve that falls vertically that would land around 3 inches short of the back line. It's quite surprising how many people cannot do a full clear returning this type of serve.

20. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    True... It is hard to return. What would be the best reply then? I'm guessing smashing and dropping wouldn't be effective against a high clear to the back line, and an attack clear would probably get cut off. So return a high clear with one of your own?