Do you dare to purchase stolen rackets?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by tifam, May 24, 2005.

1. tifam

tifam Regular Member

My friendly sportshop owner has just informed me of his newest affair. He was joining a business-ring that purchasing the stealing rackets from Japan.Unknow how are the detail, he only realized that there is a small group of professional stealers who hang around the Japanese sportshops or supermakets and rob the rackets very skillful. All rackets have distributed code JP in series numbers. Donot need to know exactly about the racket's value , they brought and sold those stealing rackets in some VNmese sportshops with the price same as a half of regularly price. He asked me if I agree to buy a new (unstrung) YY MP90 3U JP in cost 100 USD (without racket-bag!) . I held it, carefully viewed it and noticed that it is perfectly genuine (I have tried many kinds of rackets from YY since 5 years ). He also said that, he could provide about ten real YY rackets including : MP 50,MP60,MP80, MP100,AT700,AT800 OF,CAB 30MS,Aerotus 100...in adverage the same low price because all them were in the same stealen source.
    I really like new rackets, but I am in a divided mind, could I lend a hand with the stealers?:confused: And you guys, in your situations, dare you purchase the stealing rackets?

2. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    No. I have morals. Report the guy. Nail him. Do not encourage these thieves. Low lying scumbags...

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    If you buy from them , you are encouraging them to steal more.

4. m_poppema

m_poppema Regular Member

I agree that it's tempting to get some real cheap top-end rackets..
    But if the dealer himself tells you they are stolen, I wouldn't even consider..
    And like mentioned above I would report him to the authorities..
    Basically if you don't, you let "this bad guy" of the hook
    and he will continue to sell stolen stuff..

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    It does speak volume on ones character when the person has "divided mind" on such a straightforward issue. Dealing in theft, no matter how far up the intermediary chains one's from the thief, he or she is still making crime pay. This operation is not stealing from the rich to give to the poor, it's major business.

6. Woven

Woven Regular Member

beggar
    Yes, 100% agree with you. However, I wouldn't advice you to report to authorities because IMO u just make life hard on urself. These thieves definitely operates in medium-large numbers and they will remember u. therefore, the only thing u get is these thieves & associates haunting u.

7. m_poppema

m_poppema Regular Member

Here in Holland it's possible to tip the police anonamous..using a special phonenumber.
    I would definately use that number to tip the police!!

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    knowingly buying stolen rackets is just as guilty as the thiefs who stole the rackets. By supporting and preserving such activity will one day come back to haunt you in unpredictable ways.

9. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Yeah.. maybe you cant win by using stolen rackets :D

10. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Don't do it. [font=Arial,Helvetica]
    "Thou Shalt Not Steal"
    [/font]

11. Jumpalot

Jumpalot Regular Member

If you can believe that owner's story you can believe anything LOL. If you are selling stolen rackets would you tell anyone? This guy is a criminal himself by buying from criminals and you trust his words? Keep in mind this is a business thats telling you they are selling stolen goods,,, not a guy from the street, so they might be easily searched and caught so dont you think something is wrong there?

Well, maybe and you must be very close to him. Very few established business owners would openly tell people they are selling stolen goods and especially stolen goods from a crime ring. I am sure the ring leader is very happy with his openness to tell everyone the rackets are stolen.

Personally I would never buy anything thats stolen, and its hard to say If they are even real authentic Yonex rackets. Lets say if they are real, my guess is that the store owner would try to sell them to you as yonex JP version with a small discount only. He doesnt need to sell a geniune Yonex JP version cheap especially 50% off. Why? cause he should have lots of clones at that 50% price which he can sell all day long ( assuming he is a criminal type) Also he should already have alot of yonex customers going to his store asking to buy Yonex rackets. All he has to do is sell the customer the stolen models and tell them they were special imports from Japan. There is no need to sell real yonex at a half off nor tell anyone its stolen. LOL.:D

This whole thing is very fishy to me. It reminds me of those people trying to sell fake Rolex watches on the streets. It often goes like this: oh I just stole this Rolex from someones house,,, It's worth $3000 but if you want I will sell it to you for $100 cash right now. After he sells it to you, he probably has another 5 watches in his pocket lol.:D

12. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    I say you should report them... it's a straightforward crime. As members of society who want to know that someone would do the right thing if someone were stealing from us, it's your duty to society to do the right thing. We can't just expect all the benefits of social security if we don't do our part to uphold it.

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I think your take on this is more plausible. It's one way to reap more profit margin from selling fakes, 100USD vs 20-50 USD, as competition heats up on fakes business (amazing isnt't it). It sounded weird too when i first read it because japanese stores and distributors have excellent paper trail. You just can't keep on stealing and have them not knowing about it. Since all real yonex rackets have unique serial #, they are all traceable. Would a store or distributer in vietnam risk fines and losing yonex business for profiting a few stolen rackets? JP rackets in vietnam is very obvious ;)

14. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

Don't buy it. Real or fake, don't be part of the conspiracy.

15. tifam

tifam Regular Member

Hi guys, thanks u about the heartfelf warnings.And pls put the time to share my following thinking:
    1. The sportshop owner is my bosom-friend and he is also a member of our badminton club.Sometimes, he was my partner in men double games. I really know that, he only tells the truth and sells stealing rackets with low price (as prime cost) to me or severval in his bosom-friends. With other customers, he will sell stealing rackets in higher prices (may be nearly the common cost).So that, I only give him my advices (not join to dark business-ring), I cannot expose him to the police!:( Am I right if do that?
    2. Those rackets are not the same qualities as the " Rolex watches in the sidewalk ". I and my wife, we are owning 6 YY rackets, which are distributed code JP,IP,SP and TW, including MP80,Ti10,CAB 30MS,AT700 and AT 800OF. Two of these rackets were bought in Tokyo, Japan by my wife last year, when she went aboard in bussiness.I also share your experiences about fake rackets in this great badminton forum.Thus, I think that I can value how about a YY racket, real or fake or clone. On the other hand, I can realize the racket from Japan base on specific price-stamp which was stuck in it's handle grip. In this case, all the stealing rackets are genuine!
    Hope that, my information could alert something about crime prevention.
    As you said, I try to forget those stealing rackets. But, still wait to look at a YY NS 8000 JP from stealers (if they not yet to be in jail):p :p :p . Oh my God, there is no shortage of morals, and cupidity is also bottomless!:rolleyes:

16. HKChua

HKChua Regular Member

Software Architect
    Normally, I record down all the serial numbers of my rackets. Just hope that those owners never report to police with such numbers... And just hope that those who purchase these rackets never get caught....

I am fully against..

17. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    If you are close friends with the guy, you've got to convince him to stop. Maybe you will not report him, but who's to say that others who find out will be so forgiving?

18. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Not everything is black and white in certain parts of of the world.

Take pirated DVDs/VCDs for example. It's rampant in Asia. Napster and music downloads.

-dave

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Don't attempt to be part of the "outlaw", and if u r really a friend to the owner, give him advice as well. If any good individual later on gets into trouble, just because s/he wants to save $50 on a racket (how many u going to get???) or make a bit more profit with black market, it totally not worth it.

Remember, selling stealing good is the same as insurance fraud. All the extra cost will be factored by the manufacture and retail. Therefore, at the end, it's still us, the buyers to be the real loser. :(

20. Baddict_2006

Baddict_2006 Regular Member

Chef
    well,if i know that's stolen ..of course i wont buy it!i can afford to buy a decent racket for myself.