How long should a string last?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by sexytom, May 24, 2005.

1. sexytom

sexytom Regular Member

Hi all.

I brought a new racquet and have only played with it about 20-30 hours and the strings starting to fray already. How long should it last roughly?

Its only an ISO 30VF and I payed £15 for it so its probably cheaper for me to go and buy a new racquet than to get it restrung :mad:

2. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    LOL. Well it depends on how hard you hit, the string's gauge (thickness) and how frequently you play. I reckon it's time for new strings or if you want get a new racquet which you will use for quite some time and then restring it as the strings pop :D

3. sexytom

sexytom Regular Member

Its strung with BG63 and I like to smack it hard! Perhaps I should go for thicker string next time :rolleyes:

4. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

BG63 is a pretty thick string already, at 0.74mm.
    Fraying is from the strings moving and rubbing against each other.
    This can be caused by low tension and slicing.

I've had some BG63 in my MP100 for over 8 weeks now, when I usually break BG80 or BG68 or BG66 in 2 weeks.

If it is factory string the tension is probably too low and the string could have been in there for who knows how long.

As you say, a restring from a good shop may well cost more than a new racquet, but the new racquet may well be strung at too low a tension also.

Maybe you need to find an amateur stringer who will do it cheaper (*Cough*)

5. sexytom

sexytom Regular Member

I think your right about the factory stringing. It seems really low tension and the fraying is happening where two strings are rubbing together.

Maybe I should rob a bank and fork out a bit more for a quality racquet. Or perhaps somebodys knows of a good cheap amateur stringer in the Birmingham area? (*Cough*) :)

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree.

Even for the same string, say BG65, it might take player A 1 yr to break, but takes player B just 1 week to do the damage. ;)

7. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    i agree also ;) it took me 2 years to break my BG 68Ti (in the end, i had to break it by magical scissors :rolleyes: ) and takes my frd a few weeks

8. ChompChomp

ChompChomp Regular Member

i think the string can last as long as you one maybe play lesser like once per mth waahaha:D but i think tat the tension can only hold up to able a mth aft a mth u will feel tat the tension will not be tat great anymore :(

9. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    interestingly, it took me 1 session and the 2nd session's warmup (5 shots) to break my newly strung BG 66@ 24lbs :crying: the first session was great.. good bounce (compared to BG 65) and great sound/feel.. but a few mishits the second day did the deed... now i wasted 3 days waiting and $24 for 2 days of usage :crying: :crying: :crying: