Sunday at West Coast Park

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Loh, May 24, 2005.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Last Sunday, I was thoroughly happy after winning two straight games with my young Malaysian partner in his early twenties. The match was a relatively tough one against my two of my much younger teammates.

So I retired unusually early at around 5.30 pm and decided to venture to nearby West Coast Park to see whether there had been changes since the last time I visited. Indeed, the much sea-battered coastline was cordoned off for renovation work. There were new playthings and recreation stations to entertain and amuse the kids. But the vast pools of sand, for which West Coast Park is well known, was still in abundance. And the sturdy and tall pyramid net was still the most popular facility for the older kids and even adults!

This particular Sunday had attracted many more visitors since it was Vesak Day for the Buddhists and a public holiday a day after. The Bar-B-Q pits were all occupied and many more tents were pitched at the designated areas. There was certainly a varied hive of human activities in the most colourful setting and you can catch a glimpse of them in the following pictures. Despite what had been said about backyard badminton, there was certainly no lack of it in West Coast Park! :)

Attached Files:

2. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Nice pics, Loh ... thanks for sharing! :D

What's that furry thing below the dog picture?

-dave

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Nice pics loh.. you always bring your camera around?

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    some of these playgound apparatus looks rather dangerous! ;)

5. littlestream

littlestream Regular Member

Financial Analyst
    Thanks for sharing. Sure encourage me that summer is just round the corner albeit the still chilly weather. It's like picnic-ing at a provincial park or something. Looking forward to do one or a few on my own (with family and friends)..........having a picnic, that is. :)

6. wickeddrop

wickeddrop Regular Member

Ahhh,

My favorite photographer in my motherland strikes again!! Thanks a bunch Loh, you really bring my Singapore memories back to me.

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    At first I thought it was another unusual dog since it was getting dark and I could'nt see properly. But I asked the young lady owner whether it was a rabbit and her boyfriend acknowledged in the positive. :D

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes, most times. I should show you some photos of Malacca and KL that I took recently during the May Day holidays. Maybe you can identify the places and buildings for our benefit? ;)

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Agree, only to the adults but definitely not to the kids. They loved it! I think having vast amounts of sand around the apparatuses also gave a sense of cushioning security. :)

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Cannon Ball Tree

I think West Coast Park has come a long way. From a relatively unexciting expanse of greenery and a rocky beach front not many years ago, the park has now captured the attention and enthusiasm of the young, their families and the elderly and is now quite a trendy place to be in. In a way, it has partially replaced the famous Changi Beach.

And all because the authorities decided to build a container port nearby and agreed to compensate by invigorating the place with new public facilities, park furniture and updated playground apparatuses and equipment suitable for both young and old. The park is now transformed into such a beauty with the usual attention to plants, shrubs, flowers and trees. And to remind visitors of the origins of this place with a sea front, vast amounts of fine sand have been poured into designated areas for the playgrounds. This proved to be a wise move as sand never fails to enthuse the imagination of the kids who revel in it. And they have not forgotten the marshes that form little pockets of nature here and there.

Now with the renovation works to shore up the coastline which has been gradually eroded by the unremitting sea, the park will enjoy a much longer life span and visitors can continue to view from a safe distance the 'tongkangs', fishing boats, saling boats and even the large oil tankers which ply the oil refinery islands that can be seen with the naked eye.

Perhaps one day they may decide to convert this stretch of the shoreline into a well-designed and well-equipped sunny beach with the finest sands from the nearby Indonesian islands and then West Coast Park will be the most popular spot during weekends and public holidays.

Now back to some more pictures.

I'm always fascinated by the cannon ball tree which was presumably brought to our shores long time ago, maybe from South America?

My first picture shows the relatively big, unfortunately non-fragrant but beautiful red and yellow flower of this strange looking tree. As the name implies, the fruit is shaped like a cannon, light to dark brown in colour and can grow to a size of a football.

The other pics again show many of the activities found in the Park. Playtime for the kids, teenagers and adults as well. To allay the fears of perhaps father-to-be Kwun, the playthings are specially designed to cater to the various ages. For example, the Sand Boat with kid-loving apparatuses like the slides, short ladders, etc, is suitable for those who can walk and run on their own. The youngers ones will simply love playing in the sand, building castles with their spades and pails and not without adult supervision.

The teenagers will be challenged as teams on the Trolley Lines (for want of a better name) or reaching the top of the Pyramid Net first. Adults love to eat and they can permanently station themselves at the Bar-B-Q pits with tables and chairs provided. The more adventurous can pitch their tents nearby. The entire family, including grandpa and grandma, can indulge themselves in a game of soccer or kite flying at the other end of the park.

Some of these activities have been captured in my earlier post. But there are more here for viewing 'leisure'. :)

Attached Files:

11. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Nice images, Loh!

-dave