what are the aims in training?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Cheung, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Have a look at this article.

A bit lengthy but some interesting points about training and learning a sport.

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/dept/coachsci/vol31/rushall1.htm

2. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    In other words, match training is the best way to get better at badminton. Hardly new, eh?

;)

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Even the time hounored method of picking up a shuttle at one end of the court and placing on the other side has it's deficiencies.
    1) it practises the person to take the shuttle lower
    2) the correct speed of foot movement for taking shuttles early is not practised.

4. jim

jim Regular Member

"14. Exercise and hard-work is catabolic, rest and recovery is anabolic. Emphasizing working hard at the expense of post-training-session recovery is destructive to an athlete's well-being and suppresses improvement."

I have a hard time understanding what the author mean by that, can someone explain it in a simpler English ?

Cheers
    Jim

5. jim

jim Regular Member

"14. Exercise and hard-work is catabolic, rest and recovery is anabolic. Emphasizing working hard at the expense of post-training-session recovery is destructive to an athlete's well-being and suppresses improvement."

I have a hard time understanding what the author mean by that, can someone explain it in a simpler English ?

Cheers
    Jim

6. jim

jim Regular Member

Cheers
    Jim

7. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    Catabolic means tearing down; anabolic is building up. For example, a heavy training session, e.g upper-body weight training, puts stress on the muscle groups exercised and should be followed by a day of rest for those muscles so they can become stronger. Another example: alternate days of strength training and running to give each system a day of rest and both systems will improve faster.

BTW, I had to look up "catabolic" and "anabolic" in the dictionary. The question is, if you speak in plain language, will people still regard you as an expert?

8. jim

jim Regular Member

Quite often i find reading this type of research paper a nightmare since the authors tend to express simple ideas in over complicated language....

Thanks for the translation, it all makes sense now.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Just like lawyers!

10. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    I didn't read the article. However, I can relate this to something like weight
    training. You need to put in rest period between weight train. During rest
    time, your body rebuild.

I suppose similarly in other athletic training it's the same thing. If you over
    train, you risk injury, which could set you back for a long time (bad for your
    well-being and suppresses improvement). And even if you're not injured, since
    your body (and possibly your mind) is not as fresh, you maybe practising
    mistakes without knowing it.

So there seems to be a transitional point when more is less.