Suggestions for racquet!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Skyline, May 26, 2005.

1. Skyline

Skyline New Member

Hi, i am looking to buy a racquet. I like to play doubles (not good at singles).
    I am not very strong either, so can somebody suggest a racquet that wouuld suit me best?

oh and i have been playing badminton in school, i think i can get better for next years school team. Right now i want to improve my technique and footwork. We dont have badminton clubs in the summer break, do you guys think a backyard net would be cool?

2. K3vin

K3vin Regular Member

Should have posted in equipment forum for this question.

At800Of or Df is good if your an intermediate/advance player. I dunno about a beginer's racquet tho. I started out with some cheap racquet that cost ~$10 USD.

3. Skyline

Skyline New Member

at800 is a little hard to get for me, its pretty expensive also. i dont think ill need it with my skill :S

here is a website of racquets i can get easily, but i dont know which one is right.
    http://www.maakl.com/yyrackets.html

wait how much is at800 anyways?? i have no idea on these prices.

#3 Skyline, May 26, 2005
    Last edited: May 26, 2005
  4. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    If you live in Ontario, AT800 costs C$260

5. Skyline

Skyline New Member

$260 :eek: , maybe if i was good lol :p

i think im just gonna buy something cheap.. yonex isometric or a cheaper yang yang.

6. cheung31

cheung31 Regular Member

for beginners maybe something in the iso or cab series? i duno when i started out my rackets cost somewhere in the 20-50$CDN range lol

7. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Regular Member

Student
    Just save up money and buy the racket when you are good. You dont want to buy the top of the line racket and break because of a newbie mistake. I say, just focus on your skill now, and the racket later, when u are actually good.
    Besides, wait a year and maybe a Nanospeed 9000 or MP200 will come out:D

8. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

if ur a beginner, any yonex racket from sportscheck is all good

try to evade teh tecno or iron-made black knights They are much too heavy

personally i recomment one of carbonex 8200 lite or any of isos. They'll do just fine.:)

9. Super~ME!

Super~ME! Regular Member

student
    ...yeah...sportchek has a good selection of beginner Yonex racquets, but then they're pretty pricey at sportchek...even for low-end models...but they have the occasional half price sales...so...maybe pick out what you want at sportchek...and go to a specific badminton store where they're cheaper. i'd recomend the MP's they have at sportchek. and like what New_Guy04 said, try to stay away from the techno and bk racquets. they're ok...but not something i think i'd wanna use for a long time...but it's still up to you...:p

10. mtnbf

mtnbf Regular Member

How about Canada's own Black Knight? www.blackknight.ca
    I've tried 2 different Black Knight racquets and have been impressed with them. I use a Black Knight Power Channel 40 now; very good power, large sweet spot, forgiving on off center shots. Great value compared to Yonex.

11. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Black knight is good. I only managed to try one for one smash. It has a strange feel to it, but I would like to try it a few more times and decide if I were to like it or not :rolleyes:.

To me, I rather buy a top high end yonex racquet even if I'm a beginner. It saves you money comparing to if you were to buy a beginner racquet then buy a top racquet.

You can just buy one top expensive good racquet and the racquet problem will be solved :)

If you are buying a beginner racquet as a beginner, sooner or later you'll have to change to a better racquet that suits you more. And eventually you're gonna have 3-4 racquets

Why not just buy one and get it over with?

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Because a beginner cannot yet know which top end racket will suit him. He has not yet developed his techniques and playing styles, and these are essential to guide his decision between expensive rackets.

Also, top end rackets tend to have stiffer shafts, whereas beginner rackets tend to have more flexible shafts. A beginner would be better off with a flexy racket than a stiff one, because he will find it easier to generate power. He might even injure himself trying to get power from a stiff racket.

13. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    More or less a beginner can still try to adapt to the racquet he bought, rather than making the racquet suit him. He can suit the racquet :rolleyes:

14. Skyline

Skyline New Member

a begginer racquet from sport check would be my best bet. thanks for all the suggestions guys :)

these forums are great.

15. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That's the wrong way around.

Your racket should suit your playing style. You should not force your playing style to suit your racket.

If I see a beginner with expensive racket X, then I know he will be holding expensive racket Y before long. That's what happens in practice.

Besides, it's bad to be focused on equipment at such an early stage. To me, as a coach, a disproportionate focus on equipment suggests a problem with the player's attitude.

I've coached beginners who have a top end racket. They often have an attitude of "I don't need to work hard in order to improve. I'll just buy the top racket (or my mum and dad will buy it)". So they don't improve much.